Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

3 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

If given the opportunity and I know the first shot was good I still shoot again. You never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did and she dropped in 10 more yards but I probably could have watched her nose dive without it.  Wasn't sure on the consensus on that one. 

I did and she dropped in 10 more yards but I probably could have watched her nose dive without it.  Wasn't sure on the consensus on that one. 

I’ve ruined good meat doing it but I guess I’d rather know the deer is down vs running injured. I’ve made what I though where good shot before only to find out I completely missed.

• Like 2

Ever get to a stand you think will be perfect and then realize as sun rises you cant cover near as much ground as planned?  Not that it has ever happened to me but I sure hope a Deer passes close by this morning.   Lol

That was me opening day and it cost me a buck, he was across an opening before I could get on him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I’ve ruined good meat doing it but I guess I’d rather know the deer is down vs running injured. I’ve made what I though where good shot before only to find out I completely missed.

I literally thought about that but figured like u better to know she is done.  But I knew when she took off I hit where I aimed. 

So question, I shoulder shot this doe.  She took off running on 3 legs and dragging her right front leg.  I had the opportunity to shoot her again at 30yds as she ran.   Do you shoot knowing the first shot was money?   Just curious.  

Yes, but I like shooting. They ain't dead until I haven't hands on them. A couple pounds of wasted meat beats a long track any day!

• Like 3

Sounds like a great start to the day. I’ve had my hands in butchering 4 deer this season(2 bow and 2 gun). It’s amazing the difference/destruction a gunshot makes. I’m not a “gun guy” to begin with so that plus the havoc a bullet causes on the meat I only bow hunt-long somewhat tangential answer but I would not shoot again- I’m in it for the GOOD meat. I see the risk but if you KNOW (and I think we typically do sense that) a good shot was made, a second shot is overkill

You said hanging by the neck is wrong and you want the blood to pool up in the neck, I proved that theory incorrect and stated that it doesn’t matter. Then you said “never rinse unless gut shot” I showed that you can rinse and in the same link proved that bleeding one out is not going to happen on a dead gutted deer. 
You do it your way because that’s how you were taught, I could care less honestly. Any ones option on right and wrong is just that, an opinion. Unless some one is mishandling the carcas, who cares. I need to kill one before I have to worry about it. Haha 

I think we’re on the same page with how to hang, but I stand by my no rinsing stance and will highlight again, unless gutshot.

4 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Sounds like a great start to the day. I’ve had my hands in butchering 4 deer this season(2 bow and 2 gun). It’s amazing the difference/destruction a gunshot makes. I’m not a “gun guy” to begin with so that plus the havoc a bullet causes on the meat I only bow hunt-long somewhat tangential answer but I would not shoot again- I’m in it for the GOOD meat. I see the risk but if you KNOW (and I think we typically do sense that) a good shot was made, a second shot is overkill

I certainly don't dispute that.  I shot knowing 2d was in the boiler room too.  I did think about it though. 

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Holy crap on a cracker. What a spectacular morning. Cold and zero wind   Cars loaded and waking kid now. She’s going to finally knock one down today. I know it ! 

Congrats to the both of you!  Any idea how I'm going to do on opening day of VT muzzleloader this year Oh Wise One?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2