Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Back in 8a.. chilly and windy. Just heard first shots of the morning.  Anyone else notice that looking at a phone when it's dark screws with your depth perception?

I have to turn the screen brightness way down otherwise I have issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don' take phone out until light. It's  dang cold and breezy here. Someone was trigger happy  north of me and one west. have to stand,unless I move..Seat had Ice and wet leaves..cleaned best then put cushion down.  Cushion soaked through. Now my Butta wet and cold...Pants water proof but still cold cheeks.. first sit in this stand.tons of squirrel 

1511701007480210765752.jpg

Edited by growalot

5 minutes ago, borntohunt10820 said:

Try different brands of ammo . My 300 win mag would give me 3 to 4" groups at 100 yds.Then found the right ammo and have 3 touching at 100 and 1" group at 200 yds.

I keep saying I am going to do that just to see but it isn't necessary for my hunting. I have never shot a deer over 75 Yds. Most under 50

23 hours ago, DoubleR said:

My oldest son has been asking to go on a hunt with me this year so yesterday afternoon we headed up to my property in 6G and setup in a field surrounded by thick woods. I had been hunting a nice 8 that I have had camera pics of all year but didnt want to pass on an opportunity to hunt with one of my kids so we setup in a spot where the buck hadnt been seen all year. 

Knowing that the rut was nearing the end, I decided to use a decoy and a little code blue just in case. 

In the field by 2:30. At 4:15 I grunted 5 times and the deer I have been hunting all season runs out of the woods with his nose to the ground and immediately tries to breed my decoy (I guess it wouldnt hurt to have another one....). He dismounted when he was staring down my barrel at 75 yards and dropped in his tracks when the .300 Win Mag barked. 

Sadly, we see very few large deer and by most standards on this site, its probably a less than impressive deer but to my boy and I it was the greatest thing that could have happened to us yesterday. Bonding time and getting a deer that we were specifically targeting.  In a couple months he will be 14 and it will be his time to start sitting with a gun. 

Thankful and blessed!

83FD79DF-6BCA-4065-9267-7826B45EFC89.jpeg

B503C4D0-17D8-4171-AD54-2C4CA2DA1302.jpeg

You did it right , now he's hooked.  If it was cold ,raining and not see anything, he might  think differently.Congrats on a nice buck.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

18mph winds. To hunt or not to hunt this afternoon- that is the question. Could just stay home and watch Chiefs/Bills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunt !  We already know the outcome of the game  150+ points against the Bills the last 3 games    Hunt !

• Like 1

back in... couldn't get my eyes to stop watering from cold wind and my butts cold...pants actually froze....

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

I think im gonna pull the plug on my season after today ,no deer seen while hunting since oct. 1st ,no tracks ,no crap ,nothing. 

Look at it this way...at least your not seeing signs of deer and not getting one...my place is packed with crap, pics, rubs( just took out one of the garden pines right behind my stand)...tracks galore...and even lots of sightings...either after legal, before legal ,sky lighted, fawns or right in front of me on the neighbors.

Only bow shot on a doe and Mr B goes on a mad cell calling binge...only shot on a buck and unrecovered...something that still haunts me...so much blood and confirmed lung:sorry:....Anyways...your season could be worse...Want me to send ya some of my neighboring hunters to cheer ya up?...:wink::no:

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

I think im gonna pull the plug on my season after today ,no deer seen while hunting since oct. 1st ,no tracks ,no crap ,nothing. 

I give you a lot of credit for hunting as hard as you did under those circumstances.   Tough season but a demonstration of true dedication Jeremy.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I've seen 6 deer opening day of gun, 9 on Sunday, 4 on Tuesday, 2 on Thanksgiving and 0 on Friday   Every year after opening day I have less and less deer sightings. I honestly was prepared to hang it up if daughter or I didn't shoot one by this past Friday  Gets frustrating for all the hours spent and not seeing anything worthy of shooting. Now that she has one and me nothing I gained a second wind of encouragement  Keep at it Jeremy , maybe in moderation  Things can change very quickly out there. Only takes a few seconds and one deer