Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Not shrink 19”, but lose 19” in deductions? I’m just curious....if it’s 188” gross, it’s probably even less after drying, so then after deductions is it 170” still?

Great buck regardless for NY, I’m just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m having trouble seeing it being 188 to begin with. Lot of mass but tines aren’t crazy long. Pics are hard to tell sometimes but I don’t see a 180 incher there. I could be wrong but I think it’s closer to high 160s
  • Like 1

Piebalds are typically smaller. Something in the genes makes them dwarfs. So, it may not be a fawn. Also, it's obviously a waste no matter what the fur is but we won't know the story. I'm not gonna judge, just agree it's a wasted deer which is a shame

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’m having trouble seeing it being 188 to begin with. Lot of mass but tines aren’t crazy long. Pics are hard to tell sometimes but I don’t see a 180 incher there. I could be wrong but I think it’s closer to high 160s

I was thinking the same. I see a lot of bow killed bucks over 160” over on the Bowsite forum each year. Most of them look much bigger than this one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Work UPS driver just saw 3 bucks chasing a hot doe. It's still on or on again boys and girls.  Get out there and get er done !

I'm always asking the fed ex/UPS/ cops what they're seeing

Possibly the start of the second rut?

Edited by goosifer
removed comma
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Possibly the start of the second rut?

In my 3S spot, for over a month now I got 4-5 different bucks hitting a scrape per week that I keep pissing in. hopefully tomorrow morning 1 shows up after sunrise and I fire an arrow through it.

• Like 3

Drove back to the farm.  First time since I tagged out with the rifle.  Vermont muzzleloader starts tomorrow, and I have a doe tag for this zone.  Checked a few cameras.  Scrapes have almost all been freshened.  Not a ton on the cameras, but two nice ones did visit a mock scrape that I made in August.  I don't have a stand in there, so I will be on the ground behind a blown over white cedar.  If  I don't see anything there over the weekend, I have a couple doe spots I can check.  No work for me!  It's "deercation" once again!

• Like 2

Well its been a long 5 years and alot of hope and prayers but i will be taking my dad out sunday only for a couple hours do to his health. He doesnt have much energy but cant wait to just sit out there with him. Hoping a decent body size anything comes through hes got tags for both.  

Man has taught me alot hes only killed 2 deer his entire life(18years apart)  and i was there for his last buck 10years ago. Hoping to be there for a couple more.

• Like 18

Well I got outta work at 1030. All day to hunt. My last day of northern.

Had the great idea to pull my hang on and use some hawk sticks to set it in the center of the property overlooking a bunch of trails.

Well It all went good until I got to the new spot.

Mentally fixated on hanging I. The spot with the best views, I was unable to get a good climb or a level stand. All the trees were leaning out and I couldn't get on the good side.

After trying 2 trees I gave up. Hiked the mile back to the car, dumped the stand and sticks and went and sat a blind. Didn't see anything.

Moral of the story, when doing a same day hang and hunt. Pick the best tree. Not the best view.

Had I don't that I could have had a successfully hunt in a new spot. 2 good trails

But no I had to go for the trees with views of 4 trails.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'd just gotten comfy in a stand I had not sit yet this year. Button...then young doe... then her 8 point date shows up from the opposite direction. All behind me. Tons of brush. Few openings. Split second green light for a quartering away shot. Nailed it. This one is for a friends freezer. 3fa33b517c899e60a39c1b1a71099d79.jpg

• Like 32

I'd just gotten comfy in a stand I had not sit yet this year. Button...then young doe... then her 8 point date shows up from the opposite direction. All behind me. Tons of brush. Few openings. Split second green light for a quartering away shot. Nailed it. This one is for a friends freezer. 3fa33b517c899e60a39c1b1a71099d79.jpg&key=1c01fb61541eb532c20193dc833a47d227d136a876ea46d31a3b1045ed6718cf

Awesome congrats

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

Hoping things have picked up since I was last out. Haven't seen any sign of life yet...

I wouldn't count on it..... I have hunted every single day since the 20th in three different regions 1 to 2 sets a day plus covered a few miles and have yet to see a deer. A total of 39 hrs. I did see two sneak out of the woods tonight as I was headed out after dark(5:00 pm)  but have seen no sign or movement in places where they normally travel. This is the longest I have ever gone without at least seeing one.

I am taking a couple of days off for a attitude adjustment, and honey do list. I hope that when I get back out things have changed. If I sit out there long enough maybe one will walk by.

Good Luck.:hi:

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 3