Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

That tangle of dead branches look like some ground blinds that I have made
Yeah that's why i have left it there. Tree is only about 5 yards away. Deer typically come down the ravine from my left and walk right out in front of me. Wrong wind and a wise old mature buck today.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think I won the worst hunting day award today. On state land had a guy on an atv come up to me an hour before dark. Said it was his stand (no markings). No problem I will never argue with anyone unless it's a stand I hung. I did mention it was state land and he has an atv which his response was he didn't care and I was trespassing. Well hum dinger  but he had the wrong guy at that point, as I let him know I grew up at the end of the road and new the land step by step and he was lying! He then called me a liberal because I have long hair. I let him know I took a picture of his tags and himself and he was free to do the same. How come everything is fine when you let somebody know your a veteran? He shut up I wasn't a liberal anymore and he offered me a stand on what was actually his land. You gotta be kidding me after telling me to suck your blah blah blah because I was in the right? Jeez I said f off and have let the ranger in that area know about the issue as well as sending him pictures. Today was a loss lol. 

He was 60 from da bronx he said and I have never been so grateful that somebody wasn't my age because he had it coming. 

You climbed into a stand that wasn’t yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Just Lucky said:

Seen nothing this am while hunting,however ran into neighbor who owns land I was on. 87 year old man hunting alone and he gave me permission to hunt his 300t acres. As far as I know he is the only one who hunts. That was awesome.

That sure goes along with your name..just lucky.  That's awesome

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Belo said:

You climbed into a stand that wasn’t yours?

Yes. This stand has been in the same spot for 10 years on a trail on state land. I have stands that people sit in and would never think it was a problem unless I wanted to sit there. I also have sent hunters I don't know to the same area. What do you think about the whole story Belo? I'm interested and my input has been made, I'm open to yours. So if I sat 10 yards away it's alright? Is it his claim to state land? This is no 5000 acre area idk I just have had the same happen to me and to be honest not once ever asked I guy to get down. I'm not trying to be condasending the internet is tough, to be clear but I'm not looking for an argument. 

• Like 1

I dont know about the etiquette for climbing in stands on state land,but the guy sounded like an ass. I know there are not supposed to be any permanent stands on state land though.

I would not be happy to find someone in my stand,that's for sure. 

And are you positive on the property lines? 

If you are,i wouldnt hesitate to contact dec

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

That sure goes along with your name..just lucky.  That's awesome

I think your right. Love hunting. Try to get along with everyone and once in awhile get to meet a cool old dude like that. Prior to today I been hunting 17 acres there on that hill. Now wow. I am am gonna take some meat to him with a Christmas card to say thanks. All my hunting opportunities come from situations like that. You never know who the guy on the side of the road with a flat tire you stop to help maybe for example. I have over a thousand acres of private land with access to because of situations like this. Hunting season is all year long and in my opinion access is key.

• Like 3

Of course. Contacted the ranger took screenshots on Google earth it's not even close. There is back story on this as it was not being used after a fire years ago. The state bought the land and the stand is not marked. He owns the land down the mountain and doesn't want people hunting that area which is state land.

Edited by corydd7

25 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Of course. Contacted the ranger took screenshots on Google earth it's not even close. There is back story on this as it was not being used after a fire years ago. The state bought the land and the stand is not marked. He owns the land down the mountain and doesn't want people hunting that area which is state land.

Good,put a stop to that guy acting like he owns the place. We should all try to get along,and when someone is a bully he needs to get knocked down a size or five.

Edited by BowmanMike
typo

So I guess I owe TF and Renegade an apology( see the full moon thread) arrowed one this morning after they convinced me in another post that I should hunt after the full moon( I’m not a fan...until today).
At 9:15 EVERY squirrel started barking and here comes a deer busting through thick crap. It runs directly toward me but behind a tree 15 yards away. It’s small but I’m hunting a management program that wants all deer (especially does) gone. I stand and draw as it sniffs a scrape under the tree... let down since it’s all kinds of hung up. Starts to walk to the left of the tree, I draw, it sees my movement and freezes long enough for a shot. Trots away, slows to a walk, tail twitching, and disappears in thick crap. I know the shot felt good- give it an hour climb down and find this
fa7866323bb45465c5753126e9646a3e.jpg
Track a bit find some good blood
211bcdb892c16e35042fd2c06dd4b844.jpg

Decide to back out when trail runs thin. Call the head of the program who had a tracking dog. He can’t get there until 2:00. Show them the flagged trail and Maisey advances the track 20 yards then breaks off on a wild goose chase. I find blood in another direction refocus the guide and dog and the deer jumps from its bed. Track for another 100 yards and the handler sticks it a final time
43d7feb6baa4b819cdf36653b646ad00.jpg

Wish it was a doe but will certainly enjoy the tender morsels

fc7856134afce7e1bb7743f58e7ef4d3.jpg

Shot was decent- maybe a bit high- hit back lung and liver-unfortunately sliced the gut which was plugging the exit. Happy days and will be back tomorrow for a doe

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

jim block is the man you want doing your taxidermy. he has done all my deer heads and he is just fantastic to work with. His finished products speak for themselves.

big news in my area a guy took a black bear in chenango county saw a picture not huge but its a bear.  any body else that hunts in the county knows its not all that common.  I know who shot it(actually know who shot the last 3 that i heard of being taken now that i think about it), im not close to him so i dont want to give out any info.  Had a nice coat on it.

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

So I guess I owe TF and Renegade an apology( see the full moon thread) arrowed one this morning after they convinced me in another post that I should hunt after the full moon( I’m not a fan...until today).
At 9:15 EVERY squirrel started barking and here comes a deer busting through thick crap. It runs directly toward me but behind a tree 15 yards away. It’s small but I’m hunting a management program that wants all deer (especially does) gone. I stand and draw as it sniffs a scrape under the tree... let down since it’s all kinds of hung up. Starts to walk to the left of the tree, I draw, it sees my movement and freezes long enough for a shot. Trots away, slows to a walk, tail twitching, and disappears in thick crap. I know the shot felt good- give it an hour climb down and find this
fa7866323bb45465c5753126e9646a3e.jpg
211bcdb892c16e35042fd2c06dd4b844.jpg

Decide to back out when trail runs thin. Call the head of the program who had a tracking dog. He can’t get there until 2:00. Show them the flagged trail and Maisey advances the track 20 yards then breaks off on a wild goose chase. I find blood in another direction refocus the guide and dog and the deer jumps from its bed. Track for another 100 yards and the handler sticks it a final time
43d7feb6baa4b819cdf36653b646ad00.jpg

fc7856134afce7e1bb7743f58e7ef4d3.jpg

Shot was decent- maybe a bit high- hit back lung and liver-unfortunately sliced the gut which was plugging the exit. Happy days and will be back tomorrow for a doe

Yee yee! Congrats. 

35 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

big news in my area a guy took a black bear in chenango county saw a picture not huge but its a bear.  any body else that hunts in the county knows its not all that common.  I know who shot it(actually know who shot the last 3 that i heard of being taken now that i think about it), im not close to him so i dont want to give out any info.  Had a nice coat on it.

I bet there are more bears than you think. I am in Otsego County,and a friend told me about a bait station the DEC set up over the summer last year to monitor the population and they had nine different bears on camera during the summer. That is a lot for one spot.

fa7866323bb45465c5753126e9646a3e.jpg&key=b88bd04e04e36fb925a6704e59b88342f88334a77fe39c59dcaff061add6d770
211bcdb892c16e35042fd2c06dd4b844.jpg&key=ac6607f93cd870615ca5d148f08c5a802dc6b73bad7fbe9382352b3147fc9bcd

43d7feb6baa4b819cdf36653b646ad00.jpg&key=d50b9ad9152a58b6afd54c1e249f49d1afa9bfdbd141914807ed5c2590054291

fc7856134afce7e1bb7743f58e7ef4d3.jpg&key=96f86f1f01579c27639b0bf3bef359048c2ba5f78e48f14e0996513bf5564ef8

Congrats! The handler shot was gun or bow? Just curious how that works....

18 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I bet there are more bears than you think. I am in Otsego County,and a friend told me about a bait station the DEC set up over the summer last year to monitor the population and they had nine different bears on camera during the summer. That is a lot for one spot.

Oh yea i agree im sure there are alot more. Especially in all the woods in mcdonough and pharsalia they could live their entire life and never be seen. Only seem to hear about 1 maybe 2 a year being taken.   I've heard of alot more sightings in the last couple years. Ive only seen 1 and that was 10 years ago, did cut some tracks in the snow a few years ago. Nice to know there are more and more in the area i think there one of the coolest animals.

Edited by Swamp_bucks

4 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Oh yea i agree im sure there are alot more. Especially in all the woods in mcdonough and pharsalia they could live their entire life and never be seen. Only seem to here about 1 maybe 2 a year being taken.   I've heard of alot more sightings in the last couple years. Ive only seen 1 and that was 10 years ago, did cut some tracks in the snow a few years ago. Nice to there are more and more in the area i think there one of the coolest animals.

I saw some tracks in the snow last year,right of a dirt road. At first i thought trespasser!!! but then looked closer and saw the claw marks. That was neat. I dont know if i really want to see one while bowhunting though. I have no desire to shoot one,never tasted bear.

Congrats! The handler shot was gun or bow? Just curious how that works....

Bow...long bow at that...honestly he prob didn’t need to hit it again- it’s last run really knocked him out

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I saw some tracks in the snow last year,right of a dirt road. At first i thought trespasser!!! but then looked closer and saw the claw marks. That was neat. I dont know if i really want to see one while bowhunting though. I have no desire to shoot one,never tasted bear.

Same here ide like to just see one while on stand.