Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Live From The Couch.....Uggggghhhhh!!!  Been out of the woods for the weekend.  Fell down in mud in swamp and had to go to chirropractor  then got a touch of sinusitus.   Gonna get rested for next weekend and ML.  Good to read all your stories; keep up the good work!

4 minutes ago, borntohunt10820 said:

Saw 6 deer run by me at 1030 this morning , chased by the neighbors blue tick. I fired off a nasty text telling him that his dog won't be coming home ,if it happens again. He apologized and thanked me for not shooting him. End of story.

Oh no, another "shooting dogs chasing deer" opened can of worms post  You cannot shoot a neighbors dog running deer. End of story

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, borntohunt10820 said:

Saw 6 deer run by me at 1030 this morning , chased by the neighbors blue tick. I fired off a nasty text telling him that his dog won't be coming home ,if it happens again. He apologized and thanked me for not shooting him. End of story.

We need a dislike button on here

• Like 3

Dying to get back in the woods but no tags so have to wait for muzzleloader season to start 12/11 so I  decided to just sit in a stand with a camera this afternoon so I can get in the woods. Well on the way to the stand, I come upon 3 doe being trailed by a small buck...figure's I had camera in the bag till I get to the stand so video's not the greatest, was taken with phone...LOL. They knew something was up and didn't stick around too long. Tried to upload the video but the site won't let me 

40 minutes ago, borntohunt10820 said:

After thinking about it, I wouldn't shoot his dog , but he doesn't know that. I got my point across. We will have a talk in the future.

Ok great.. The previous comment wasn't appreciated is all. Sorry that happened today during your sit. Cant say it has happened to be before so i dont know how i would feel...

Gun season was not going so well for me, up until this afternoon.   My buddy from work wounded a 4-point, just after sunrise on opening day and we spent about 2 hours of "prime time" looking for it.  I went back after dark and spent another couple hours with the "bloodglow" looking more with no success.   He had dropped it with a single shot, then texted me that it was down, but crawling away.   I wish he would have used another shot or two, because the buck got back on its feet and escaped.  I suspect he hit it above the spine, which temporarily parallized the back legs. The only live deer I saw, up until yesterday, were a couple of unidentified tails and buts well out of range.

Yesterday a 1-1/2 year 6 point offered me a 40 yard shot over at my folk's place at 7:35 in the morning, which I did not take for three reasons:  First, he was 10 yards onto the neighbors land and I was not sure he would appreciate it.  Second, the shot would have been thru some thin brush which may have deflected my 16 ga foster slug, dropping the percent chance of a clean kill to just about 90 %.   Third, I would not mind saving my buck tag for a shot at a bigger one. 

I was having second thoughts on my decision to skip this morning's hunt and take the family to church instead, as I laid in bed next to my wife and heard a shot ring out next-door at 7:35.   After church, I got up a treestand that is on the back edge of a 5-acre woodlot at the back of our farm.  At 2:30 pm, I heard something that sounded a little larger than a squirrel, and noted a deer approaching on the other side of a deep ditch.  She was moving at a fast trot, and I led her enough to fell her, with a shot to the neck, when she reached an opening.   I left the guts in to drag her thru the water and my rope broke as I tried to pull her up the steep bank.   I am guessing she weighed about 150 on the hoof.  She is gutted and hanging in the garage, bleeding out now.  

I will check her chest girth to get a more accurate weight estimate prior to skinning her, and post that with a picture in the harvest thread.  The Lord was very good to us today, in providing plenty of venison to last until next year, so the last thing I want to do is weigh her on a "dishonest scale".  I guess going to church this morning paid off. They are calling for temps in the 50's tomorrow and Tuesday, so it will be in the deer fridge for her.   After a week in there, she should be perfect for processing.  

• Like 6

You’re the dick here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Gun season was not going so well for me, up until this afternoon.   My buddy from work wounded a 4-point, just after sunrise on opening day and we spent about 2 hours of "prime time" looking for it.  I went back after dark and spent another couple hours with the "bloodglow" looking more with no success.   He had dropped it with a single shot, then texted me that it was down, but crawling away.   I wish he would have used another shot or two, because the buck got back on its feet and escaped.  I suspect he hit it above the spine, which temporarily parallized the back legs. The only live deer I saw, up until yesterday, were a couple of unidentified tails and buts well out of range.
Yesterday a 1-1/2 year 6 point offered me a 40 yard shot over at my folk's place at 7:35 in the morning, which I did not take for three reasons:  First, he was 10 yards onto the neighbors land and I was not sure he would appreciate it.  Second, the shot would have been thru some thin brush which may have deflected my 16 ga foster slug, dropping the percent chance of a clean kill to just about 90 %.   Third, I would not mind saving my buck tag for a shot at a bigger one. 
I was having second thoughts on my decision to skip this morning's hunt and take the family to church instead, as I laid in bed next to my wife and heard a shot ring out next-door at 7:35.   After church, I got up a treestand that is on the back edge of a 5-acre woodlot at the back of our farm.  At 2:30 pm, I heard something that sounded a little larger than a squirrel, and noted a deer approaching on the other side of a deep ditch.  She was moving at a fast trot, and I led her enough to fell her, with a shot to the neck, when she reached an opening.   I left the guts in to drag her thru the water and my rope broke as I tried to pull her up the steep bank.   I am guessing she weighed about 150 on the hoof.  She is gutted and hanging in the garage, bleeding out now.  
I will check her chest girth to get a more accurate weight estimate prior to skinning her, and post that with a picture in the harvest thread.  The Lord was very good to us today, in providing plenty of venison to last until next year, so the last thing I want to do is weigh her on a "dishonest scale".  I guess going to church this morning paid off. They are calling for temps in the 50's tomorrow and Tuesday, so it will be in the deer fridge for her.   After a week in there, she should be perfect for processing.  

Knows his success by percentages. You’re a trip, but congrats none the less. FYI, a 150lb doe is BIG.

8 minutes ago, Belo said:

Knows his success by percentages. You’re a trip, but congrats none the less. FYI, a 150lb doe is BIG.

Her chest girth (after gutting) was 37", which translates to a live weight of 146 and 115 field dressed.  Edible meat should be 66 pounds per the PA game commission table.  I am not sure if that chest girth is supposed to be before or after gutting.   Either way, she was heavy enough when water-logged to break the rope I used to drag her thru that ditch. That resulted in me get a pretty good soaker on my left foot.  I am thankful that it was unseasonably warm, or my foot would have froze as I made the long walk up to the barn for the tractor.   

• Like 3

Figured since it was my last evening of gun season, I’d sit out in the back of our property. Had this nice doe and 2 fawns come out just before sunset. One well placed 150grain Fusion out of my 308 and she dropped after 10 yards. Nice end to gun for me and last deer taken off of our place before we move. Now if I can Just get one more with my muzzleloader, my deer season goal for the year will be complete. 

5CD6840A-D529-46B7-BCB0-691C6B79A2FF.jpeg

• Like 25