Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Gun season was not going so well for me, up until this afternoon.   My buddy from work wounded a 4-point, just after sunrise on opening day and we spent about 2 hours of "prime time" looking for it.  I went back after dark and spent another couple hours with the "bloodglow" looking more with no success.   He had dropped it with a single shot, then texted me that it was down, but crawling away.   I wish he would have used another shot or two, because the buck got back on its feet and escaped.  I suspect he hit it above the spine, which temporarily parallized the back legs. The only live deer I saw, up until yesterday, were a couple of unidentified tails and buts well out of range.
Yesterday a 1-1/2 year 6 point offered me a 40 yard shot over at my folk's place at 7:35 in the morning, which I did not take for three reasons:  First, he was 10 yards onto the neighbors land and I was not sure he would appreciate it.  Second, the shot would have been thru some thin brush which may have deflected my 16 ga foster slug, dropping the percent chance of a clean kill to just about 90 %.   Third, I would not mind saving my buck tag for a shot at a bigger one. 
I was having second thoughts on my decision to skip this morning's hunt and take the family to church instead, as I laid in bed next to my wife and heard a shot ring out next-door at 7:35.   After church, I got up a treestand that is on the back edge of a 5-acre woodlot at the back of our farm.  At 2:30 pm, I heard something that sounded a little larger than a squirrel, and noted a deer approaching on the other side of a deep ditch.  She was moving at a fast trot, and I led her enough to fell her, with a shot to the neck, when she reached an opening.   I left the guts in to drag her thru the water and my rope broke as I tried to pull her up the steep bank.   I am guessing she weighed about 150 on the hoof.  She is gutted and hanging in the garage, bleeding out now.  
I will check her chest girth to get a more accurate weight estimate prior to skinning her, and post that with a picture in the harvest thread.  The Lord was very good to us today, in providing plenty of venison to last until next year, so the last thing I want to do is weigh her on a "dishonest scale".  I guess going to church this morning paid off. They are calling for temps in the 50's tomorrow and Tuesday, so it will be in the deer fridge for her.   After a week in there, she should be perfect for processing.  

I saw the, pic you posted in the harvest thread did the bullet exit out the back leg ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

New section next year....live from the meat pole....only way you can state a dressed weight is to have a pic with the deer hanging from a scale!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Doesn’t work because people can fill the inside gutless cavity with dumbbells.

33 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I saw the, pic you posted in the harvest thread did the bullet exit out the back leg ?

Yup no doubt it is a wound. But i am sure with him saying this doe had 2 inches of meat along the outside of the rib cage he will say that there will be no meat loss from that little wound.  Nut Case at it's finest.

So what is the record weight for a deer in New York State anyone know ?
Well,there's multiple records for heaviest dressed weight that are spread out all over the state, prob one or two in every county, by hunters without scales.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yup no doubt it is a wound. But i am sure with him saying this doe had 2 inches of meat along the outside of the rib cage he will say that there will be no meat loss from that little wound.  Nut Case at it's finest.

Not to mention he says he shot it in the neck so it means once again he took a marginal shot on a deer, exit in the ass means a front facing shot. Sounds like jesus loves him but everyone else thinks he’s an a hole

5 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Well,there's multiple records for heaviest dressed weight that are spread out all over the state, prob one or two in every county, by hunters without scales.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Well near me don't think I heard of anyone taking a deer more then 180 or 200 ib

And that possibly exaggerate  did not see the weighing personally or even a picture 

Edited by Storm914

Based on this chart, I met a couple of late night laddies who would give me 153lbs of “usable meat.” In actuality they only gave me a few minutes (okay...okay seconds!) of entertainment. None of this is true of course but it is related to wolc

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

That was blood stains from the "blood rinse" that I always do to get rid of any bad stuff (#1, #2, stomach juice, etc) that might be left in the cavity after gutting.   I always wash the blood from forward of the diaphram down thru the butt-hole rather than just dumping it out.   Blood does not taint the flavor of the tenderloins as much as piss, crap, or stomach juice, and is always readily available in sufficient quantity to get the job done.  

Why do you have such a butt fixation ?

edit, I just finished the skinning and the shot was just forward of the shoulder blade, at the base of the neck as the doe passed broadside.   The slug struck very close to my intended point of impact and is probably my second best shot on a deer.  I think you remember my best one, since it was you who provided me the incentive to stick with the bore gauge with which I was able to verify it's exact position and angularity.   

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

That was blood stains from the "blood rinse" that I always do to get rid of any bad stuff (#1, #2, stomach juice, etc) that might be left in the cavity after gutting.   I always wash the blood from forward of the diaphram down thru the butt-hole rather than just dumping it out.   Blood does not taint the flavor of the tenderloins as much as piss, crap, or stomach juice, and is always readily available in sufficient quantity to get the job done.  

I just woke my wife up I laughed so hard....... what are we 5 years old bro. When have you ever heard me make a comment about a butt, except for that button you shot up the rear last year.... what happened did they forgot to tell you at church that sodomy is a sin.

I wonder if I have been with a girl 200lb+ in my career. I vaguely remember a biggie down In Myrtle beach around 02 or 03, but she was short so maybe I’m way off and she was only like a buck 60?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Riiiiiight!  Perfect circle you made with that..Wash Job!