Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Today’s the day I’d really like to be able to walk outside my back door and hunt. Suited up , drove 15 minutes and turned around. Roads haven’t been touched I may be stubborn but not stupid. The hills weren’t going to be fun. Hopefully give it another try a bit later. Be safe out there folks.Its still coming down here. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certainly, if You don't go out, it's bad!

Better to keep safe my friend, and wait for the roads to improve. How much on the ground there? Should be good deer movement once this clears out. Best of luck to ya!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, growalot said:

Just had a big doe and fawn walk by at 80 yrds..just behind posted signs...gone now and season just got legal. ..3 time on that pattern...will work on moving that This summer.

Can you steer them closer with some well placed brush piles?

Not this time Jeremy I need to catch them coming down a land funnel and get them to make a new path across the upper side of this short ridge line... which means finally cutting junk and dead tree's Mr B and I marked and figuring out which natural grass browse with clover I can replace the natural grass growing here...This new grass the turkey seem to love but the deer not so much and it exploded these last two years...plus the elderberry that grew thick here, they finally all but wiped out. So they have moved to the neighbors brambles.

I'll clean the woods floor this winter and start the cutting. I may bring the tractor in with the york rake...this is all shale sitting on top of the ground so I'll see if I can make a easier walking trail with needed food coming across the place...I have been wanting to put in some pine and or other trees ...now that the maples are dying off due to a soil born fungus...I should be able to get things growing...Obviousely the new grass growth shows more suns getting to the ground already with dying trees.

https://g.co/kgs/C67Zg2

drive was perfect now. All the snow between here n there. Kicked up my 2 Fawn friends. Minutes later they stood broadside at 50 looking at me. Of course there was 8-9 sets of tracks in front of stand that looked fresh. But had I put car in ditch earlier I’d never know that lol.  15 mph SW wind. 22 degrees and real feel of 10. Nice day out though. 

1 hour ago, Tughill Tamer said:

No deer seen once again. I only seen I fresh set of tracks in the new snow. I heard on the radio on the way here this morning that the DEC reports deer harvest's are up 18 percent from last year. I know one Hunter that the harvest is not up for.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

How would they ever know if that is an 18% higher kill rate or REPORT rate.... because every single person in this area I talked to and guys Mr B have talked to, from Belmont to Rochester have had a dismal year. Quite a few hunters that have always hunted, never went out this year...

Edited by growalot