Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Wasted morning. Took the day off from work but still had to wait for nanny to arrive before I could leave the house.

so figured I'd try a new spot closer to the house. Sarnoff preserve.

Follow navi to the parking spot I picked out. Closed private road. Guess that area is no longer part of the public land area. Good thing the dec keeps their maps up to date. Find a different spot in the main parking lot.

Now I'd been told it was thick in there and wow they weren't kidding. Walked around for hours just looking for a way to even get into the deeper woods. It wasn't happening without a machete or a flame thrower. One to five feet high bushy branchy things as soon as you got a few feet off the trail. So dense it looked Iike fog in the distance. 

Only huntable spot was the 100 feet right by the car so unless the deer were going to be stupid enough to jump out of the woods and say hello I wasn't having any shots. 

Very curious to see if anyone has had success here recently. Maybe I just chose a really bad part of the area.

IMG_6416.JPG

IMG_6417.JPG

How would they ever know if that is an 18% higher kill rate or REPORT rate.... because every single person in this area and guys Mr B have talked to, from Belmont to Rochester have had a dismal year. Quite a few hunters that have always hunted, never went out this year...
I agree with you my hunting group has had a horrible year along with other people I have talked with but that's what the DEC is claiming

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am a little behind on harvests this year. I usually try for 4 deer and have two. No more regular season tags for me,but I have two more for muzzleloader and am going to try like heck on Monday and Tuesday to fill those. Two all day hunts,and my hunting buddy and I have not been at the 300 acres we get to hunt since opening day. I hope the deer there are doing their usual thing,eating acorns all day long. In that case it will be easy to fill my other tags.

• Like 1

Well, it won't be a 6 pt with the xbow today.  I did see a small doe or fawn though.  No clean shot, but I probably would have passed a fawn anyway.

Wolfing down some lunch and then grabbing the rifle for the late shift!

Well checked cams...there is hope and I know exactly where it went...now lets hope he stays there...doe where I was going to hunt until I felt that cold breeze this a.m....and got the white pit bull right after a button buck was on cam...No word from anyone, this was a day time pic...several shots above and below us...God I hope they got what ever it was filled their tags and leave...but these guys won't until everyone of them fill each of their 4 doe tags off of a hundred acres...With any luck they didn't come back to get the extra tags, but I'm sure the Cousins wife got them for them as usual...

Edited by growalot

didnt see squat this morning. I did however pull my card on the way out . getting ready to go back and look at trees , hey maybe one of those trees will have a deer standing next to it. high hopes there is still room in the freezer.

kissing deer.JPG

fox.JPG

4point.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, uberyan said:

Wasted morning. Took the day off from work but still had to wait for nanny to arrive before I could leave the house.

Follow navi to the parking spot I picked out. Closed private road. Guess that area is no longer part of the public land area. Good thing the dec keeps their maps up to date. Find a different spot in the main parking lot.

Now I'd been told it was thick in there and wow they weren't kidding. Walked around for hours just looking for a way to even get into the deeper woods. It wasn't happening without a machete or a flame thrower. One to five feet high bushy branchy things as soon as you got a few feet off the trail. So dense it looked Iike fog in the distance. 

Only huntable spot was the 100 feet right by the car so unless the deer were going to be stupid enough to jump out of the woods and say hello I wasn't having any shots. 

Very curious to see if anyone has had success here recently. Maybe I just chose a really bad part of the area.

IMG_6416.JPG

IMG_6417.JPG

1 hour ago, uberyan said:

IMG_6416.JPG

IMG_6417.JPG

I think I saw a video of some guys taking a buck out of that place a few years back  I no it was out on long island public land. 

The thing is there was like 6 or 8 guys in that video and only 1 guy got anything 

2 hours ago, growalot said:

How would they ever know if that is an 18% higher kill rate or REPORT rate.... because every single person in this area I talked to and guys Mr B have talked to, from Belmont to Rochester have had a dismal year. Quite a few hunters that have always hunted, never went out this year...

Just as an FYI, the DEC press release says "reported".  Here's the language from the press release:

"Through the third weekend of the Southern Zone regular big game season, hunters reported 69,550 deer in 2017 compared to 61,184 through the same period in 2016. For the Northern Zone, hunters have reported 11,349 deer in 2017 compared to 9,417 deer in 2016."

• Like 1

Settled in hoping to see if those deer come back though..hopefully higher up.  45 mins to go..man the squirrel  here are huge..funny  not that many oak here..one a bit behind me and 4 below on the upper wet lands..How can a,southern breeze  be so dang cold!..just glassed 3 rubs infront of me..should have used this blind more...