Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

3 hours ago, uberyan said:

After wasting the morning at Sarnoff I decided to spot check some of the other public spots somewhat nearby. 

Headed to a state park about 20 mins north. Best parking spot (imho) was open and it seemed like no one was hunting. So i parked the car jumped in the backseat and got changed again into my hunting gear. 

Explored/still hunted for a bit. Signs here and there but no deer. Bumped into some older guys hiking on the trail. They said there were definitely deer there but they don't come out until sunset or early morning. It was too late in the day to really get deeper in so I picked a spot that looked like there would be some traveling through. Positioned myself facing northwest to catch anything coming over the ridge on the north and paths on the west. I decided to forget about the sides behind me as I figured anything from that side would scent me. 

Well i guess my scent control regimen is pretty good. Deer came from my 5o clock  and just like the guys had mentioned 5 minutes before legal light ended. First doe walked right by me and as I was trying to position myself to the other side of the tree I was standing behind to get a shot a second doe popped out.

i figured I was done and she would spook immediately. I was not behind anything just next to the tree mid turn with my bow pulled up and my right hand holding the release taut with the dloop. 

She didn't book it immediately and I got the whole head bobbing hoof stomping routine. In the end she decided I wasn't enough of a threat to run away but not safe enough to walk past and walked the long way around me. 

I watch her walk around and start to turn back around to see if that first doe was still there. And now I'm facing a third doe who's got me dead to rights. Again doesn't immediately spook and I get another bobbing stomping routine. This one went on for way too long and legal light was gone. 

Oh well at least I saw some deer up close. 

Been there done that, kind of.  Scouted Sarnoff and found that the most likely stand locations would be just off the main walking trail.  It is just too thick and very few trees suitable for a climber.  I've hunted the park that I think you hunted last year and have seen some does, but none close enough.  The snow should help tomorrow.  I plan to get out and give it a try myself. Good luck if you get out.

So, up at 5:00 and feel like I need to get out and take the rifle for a walk. I'm out of deer tags til muzzleloader, but have a bear tag. Have only gotten one trailcam pic of a bear since October, so odds are low.

20 degrees outside, 72 inside with the fire crackling.

I'm waffling...

• Like 1

Have you decided on a pose yet for picture time tomorrow ?

WAKE UP, BIZ!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Snowy background. First snow of the year.

Damn TC, you beat me by 7min!

ALL RISE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Today's the day Biz! If you weren't so far, I'd be on standby to be your cameraman for the field shots.
On second thought, I'd pick up Wooly on the way, he's better at it.
Don't forget the sponsor jacket!

Yea I actually left Mathews and Weatherby, because Pygmy offered me a deal I couldn’t refuse. I am now sponsored by:

Mabel’s House of Horrors - open 24 hours a day, where the Roast Beef Curtains never close!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, uberyan said:

After wasting the morning at Sarnoff I decided to spot check some of the other public spots somewhat nearby. 

Headed to a state park about 20 mins north. Best parking spot (imho) was open and it seemed like no one was hunting. So i parked the car jumped in the backseat and got changed again into my hunting gear. 

Explored/still hunted for a bit. Signs here and there but no deer. Bumped into some older guys hiking on the trail. They said there were definitely deer there but they don't come out until sunset or early morning. It was too late in the day to really get deeper in so I picked a spot that looked like there would be some traveling through. Positioned myself facing northwest to catch anything coming over the ridge on the north and paths on the west. I decided to forget about the sides behind me as I figured anything from that side would scent me. 

Well i guess my scent control regimen is pretty good. Deer came from my 5o clock  and just like the guys had mentioned 5 minutes before legal light ended. First doe walked right by me and as I was trying to position myself to the other side of the tree I was standing behind to get a shot a second doe popped out.

i figured I was done and she would spook immediately. I was not behind anything just next to the tree mid turn with my bow pulled up and my right hand holding the release taut with the dloop. 

She didn't book it immediately and I got the whole head bobbing hoof stomping routine. In the end she decided I wasn't enough of a threat to run away but not safe enough to walk past and walked the long way around me. 

I watch her walk around and start to turn back around to see if that first doe was still there. And now I'm facing a third doe who's got me dead to rights. Again doesn't immediately spook and I get another bobbing stomping routine. This one went on for way too long and legal light was gone. 

Oh well at least I saw some deer up close. 

6 hours ago, cdbing said:

Been there done that, kind of.  Scouted Sarnoff and found that the most likely stand locations would be just off the main walking trail.  It is just too thick and very few trees suitable for a climber.  I've hunted the park that I think you hunted last year and have seen some does, but none close enough.  The snow should help tomorrow.  I plan to get out and give it a try myself. Good luck if you get out.

this is pretty sad for me to read I've hunted Sarnoff most of my 30yrs. and taken some nice bucks always plenty off does to fill the freezer. I've given up on shed hunting around there because that under brush is out of control.  good luck out there guys

Back in the stand really just watching, I have a bear tag lol but wanted to get out will do a small push to[mention=7930]jmp5008[/mention] around 10

Hope that 600# bear walks by you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk