Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

I have killed quite a few deer from this spot with the last one being a 148 lb. 6 point with a 15 1/2" spread. I don't hunt it much because it is so steep to get to. With the conditions and wind right I decided to give it a try. Takes a half hour to hike it pretty much straight up. Get to the spot were I normally sit and the tree is blown over. The wind picked up and I like to froze to death but I stuck it out til 10:00 and didn't see a thing. Heard a few shots but mostly they were the spray and pray type.

Came home to warm up and grab a bite. With not much optimism I will give it one more try for the final time an be able to say I spent my time and gave  my best. Good luck to anyone else going out the rest of the day.

canadice.jpg

candice1.jpg

canadice2.jpg

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 3

She was snug as a bug in a rug. Got her hanging and cooling now. I'm really curious about the shot placement. She dropped in her tracks, there is no obvious entry or exit wound, and there was no blood at the scene. I looked inside the chest cavity when I hung her up but still don't see a wound. Oh, and there was no heart when I dressed her. We'll see what I find when I get the skin off..

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

When you’re not having fun you shouldn’t be out here. Not having fun. “Uncle “. Climbing down and outta here. Good luck people 9fc52df9edb24271af92cd61fe6dd42a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sure picked a lousy day to use a climber. One of the only days I haven't used mine:mda:

24 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

She was snug as a bug in a rug. Got her hanging and cooling now. I'm really curious about the shot placement. She dropped in her tracks, there is no obvious entry or exit wound, and there was no blood at the scene. I looked inside the chest cavity when I hung her up but still don't see a wound. Oh, and there was no heart when I dressed her. We'll see what I find when I get the skin off..

I experienced that a few years ago, shot a buck right below me, dropped, no wound, no blood nothing. I think I gave him a heart attack.

Do you by chance live in the basement??    IT IS THE LAST DAY OF GUN SEASON:pleasantry:

Haha...not a huge gun fan to be honest- hunted gun (shotgun at that) only three sits this year- after hunting and harvesting with a bow and the close encounters required, gun just doesn’t do it for me...bow season ends for me 12/31—plenty of hunts left I HOPE

• Like 1

Finally some snow here in 8X, nice stiff W breeze, it all made for very good still hunting conditions. Lots of careful glassing, but in the end a group of 6 does and fawns popped up on a little plateau I was working through. It was one of those "pick the biggest one/wait until they turn sideways/shoot" moment that lasts about a half second. Average size doe, she dropped right there and there doesn't seem to be any damaged meat, besides the heart.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

I have killed quite a few deer from this spot with the last one being a 148 lb. 6 point with a 15 1/2" spread. I don't hunt it much because it is so steep to get to. With the conditions and wind right I decided to give it a try. Takes a half hour to hike it pretty much straight up. Get to the spot were I normally sit and the tree is blown over. The wind picked up and I like to froze to death but I stuck it out til 10:00 and didn't see a thing. Heard a few shots but mostly they were the spray and pray type.

Came home to warm up and grab a bite. With not much optimism I will give it one more try for the final time an be able to say I spent my time and gave  my best. Good luck to anyone else going out the rest of the day.

canadice.jpg

candice1.jpg

canadice2.jpg

Stay safe out there and good luck..

Froze my balls off and had a group of three come in, I was with a new Hunter and told him to shoot one of the two big ones. I watched as he squeezes one off over the back of the Tiny one lol. Oh well on to muzzleloader. 

I would have lined one up and shot and tried for a double but only have the one doe tag so figured he'd get first crack. 

Edited by BigVal

5 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

When you’re not having fun you shouldn’t be out here. Not having fun. “Uncle “. Climbing down and outta here. Good luck people 9fc52df9edb24271af92cd61fe6dd42a.jpg

Everyone around me on the farm hunts out of box blinds with 20 pound propane tanks and a heater .  I think they're on to something , that or I should just gun hunt Tennesee  .

• Like 1

Back to Rivers blind good snow and now it's easing  up a little and winds picking up ..let hope they show before 4:38...

Ps...the blinds looking pretty good concidering I have left the windows open all season...and with all the rain this year...roof looks great

15129345798051467648248.jpg

1512934701835604872372.jpg

1512934848919-212583346.jpg

Edited by growalot