Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

well,i saw a lot of tails today. I could have shot one deer,but was trying to walk around it to push it to my friend. Well,that deer wasn't alone as it turns out and the other ones busted me and they took of. I finished my half circle and was working my way back to my friend when he shot!! I caught up with him and he was puzzled. It was a close shot,50 yds and the deer was standing broadside. I think he got a twig on the way there and grazed the brisket or chest. Nothing but white hair and more than I have ever seen. It was everywhere. We followed the tracks for a long while and just got a few drops of blood and never caught a glimpse of the doe. Seems like she will make it. My buddy was demoralized.

Then we both sat for the end if the day being able to see far,and we saw nothing. No idea where the deer where hiding. We both thought we would at least see something in the distance,even if we get no shot. Not today!

Better luck tomorrow. 

20171211_141043.jpg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

I've dropped mine once out of a tree. Checked it out pulled it back and still good as new!  Nothing on them to worry about.

I know you appreciate trad bows.  This one just arrived today.  Shoots as nice as it looks.   It will be hitting the woods next season for sure. 

IMG_1445.PNG

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

That's a lot to shoot through lol! X-mas list add pruning shears!!

it needs a fire.I was just looking because usually you cant see twenty yards through that stuff, it rarely ever has snow. the field is behind me

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

This entire late season is going to be brutal here, I have no idea where to focus. My local spot has a cut corn field above it that I cant hunt and the deer seem to be bedding just off of it. My farther spots dont have a true food source on them. Ill sit somewhere and freeze

Ya temps suck , I'll be out last hour tomorrow and Sunday looks warm , good thing freezer is full .

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I know you appreciate trad bows.  This one just arrived today.  Shoots as nice as it looks.   It will be hitting the woods next season for sure. 

IMG_1445.PNG

Wow Moog5050!  That sure is nice!  Xmas present....for yourself?

Edited by dinorocks

23 minutes ago, dinorocks said:

Wow Moog5050!  That sure is nice!  Xmas present....for yourself?

Thanks Dino.  Definitely a gift for myself.  Committed to ousting the compound for good.  Just have more fun with the single string bows and nice woods make me happy.  Lol.  Have a widow on order too.  That will do!  

• Like 1

Wow!  Those BW risers sure get fancy!  Do you have any experience with a long bow?  Almost night and day with respect to drawing a long bow...so smooth and accurate!  I only hunt with my self bows but my Bear Montana is sure tempting to bring in to the woods!

6 minutes ago, dinorocks said:

Wow!  Those BW risers sure get fancy!  Do you have any experience with a long bow?  Almost night and day with respect to drawing a long bow...so smooth and accurate!  I only hunt with my self bows but my Bear Montana is sure tempting to bring in to the woods!

I never could adjust to long bow grips so I have stayed with recurves since taking up single string.  Kudos to you for hunting with a self bow.  That's impressive. 

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

IMG_1445.PNG

I picked a few of the blacktails up at Denton hill. They are awsome in the hand. Some of there bows aren't bows but pieces of artwork!  

The colors on that one are gorgeous.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

I picked a few of the blacktails up at Denton hill. They are awsome in the hand. Some of there bows aren't bows but pieces of artwork!  

The colors on that one are gorgeous.

I have to get to Denton hill this year.  Afraid I would leave bankrupt.  

Fresh snow here in the southern zone, a late season deer hunters dream! 

We have about 5 inches here in central Livingston Co.  I got out of work early yesterday, arrived at my stand about 3:30. Winds were light so I hit the CAN and a few mins later see a buck pop out of the brush headed right at me. He was a young 6pt and passed by at 30 yards.  He'll be a nice one next year. I'll be back out Friday morning.

Good luck to those lucky hunters that are out today.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, moog5050 said:

IMG_1445.PNG

I'll repeat what others have said, WOW!

What are the specs on that sweetie?

Ahhhhh
Taxi driving due to the storm! Just got back from 1.5 hours back and forth to the college to drop off daughter. Would love to go take a walk got about 6 inches now. More deer tracks in the yard. Got an hour until I got run the boy to school. They have a 2 hour delay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Thanks Larry.  Around 50lbs at my DL.  

IMG_1456.PNG

Nice!!!  If that baby performs half as good as it looks, and I know it will in your hands, then that is a deer killing, bulls eye shooting masterpiece! Way to go moog! Many years of smiles coming your way, with that beauty! And the black Widow, is a bow you are very comfortable with as well, is it not? Tough decision, on which one gets left behind on a given hunt, I'd imagine!

• Like 1

You primative guys should be out there with nothing but a buckskin coat.... Keep it real ! Hiked through 2' yesterday and sat the last hour...no movement but some fresh tracks. Gonna do evenings from here on out. Glad I broke a trail though as we keep getting inches everyday and that's a heck of a hike with the stay warm gear on.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Ahhhhh
Taxi driving due to the storm! Just got back from 1.5 hours back and forth to the college to drop off daughter. Would love to go take a walk got about 6 inches now. More deer tracks in the yard. Got an hour until I got run the boy to school. They have a 2 hour delay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had a 2 hour delay I would have hit the woods this morning, I was really hoping. I should probably mention I'm a school teacher so yeah I would love a snow day or a couple 2 hr. delays this week.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 2