Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

So what say you.  Are morning hunts worth a shot at this time of year.  I know pm hunts over food work but do I try to catch em going back to bed in the am?  Thinking about trying tomorrow. 

Yes sir. Go for it! Good luck moog!

• Like 1

So what say you.  Are morning hunts worth a shot at this time of year.  I know pm hunts over food work but do I try to catch em going back to bed in the am?  Thinking about trying tomorrow. 

I'll be out there for as long as I can stand it. I do prefer last light in the late season though
  • Like 2

I am going out tomorrow for sure...

Went for a stroll this afternoon and spooked some deer,got down on one knee quickly and there was a spike that had no idea why everyone scattered,but he went into lightspeed mode. Only thing was he was coming straight at me.

Too fast for a shot,but he passed me close enough for spear work. Made me think of moog for some reason,one of his arrows would have worked. I could have stabbed that spike.

Next time maybe...

• Like 4

I'm up, I'm up.....having breakfast because it's 7 here.  If it's less of a temp than I can count on my fingers I'm gonna wait.  

But gonna go to one property for a mid day stroll and to pickup final trail cams for the season.  Then for the afternoon try a 2 hr sit til dark on the edge of a beanfield. Good luck those who go out.

Right now the thermometer says 2.5 degrees F. Yesterday and the day before I saw 13 degrees in the morning. I am trying to imagine anyone going out dressed for that kind of weather with a bow and still able to draw it back to full-draw and maintaining any sort of form to successfully hit whatever they are shooting at. Has anybody ever successfully shot a deer with a bow in those kinds of temperatures?

35 minutes ago, Doc said:

Right now the thermometer says 2.5 degrees F. Yesterday and the day before I saw 13 degrees in the morning. I am trying to imagine anyone going out dressed for that kind of weather with a bow and still able to draw it back to full-draw and maintaining any sort of form to successfully hit whatever they are shooting at. Has anybody ever successfully shot a deer with a bow in those kinds of temperatures?

Not this guy that's for sure... I am still venturing out with the muzzleloader though... and that is still a challenge on these frigid days. As a younger man I remember grabbing the bow on these days and experiencing exactly what you describe. Maybe that's the education I needed to realize I didn't want to do that any more. :)

13 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I've been doing the morning hunts and find that the deer here are bedding early... long before sunrise. But I know that bucks tend to get active with does again in this late season and... well.. ya never know.

Doc - yes, lots of people shoot bows successfully in extreme cold temps. Many Canadian or western US hunts are during frigid temps. I see guys in bowsite forums killing animals in sun zero temps with a bow. In fact, i saw a few weeks ago on Instagram that Eva shockey shot a nice buck in SK with a bow in sub zero temps. She was in body heater and had to unzip before drawing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk