Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

12 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Doc - yes, lots of people shoot bows successfully in extreme cold temps. Many Canadian or western US hunts are during frigid temps. I see guys in bowsite forums killing animals in sun zero temps with a bow. In fact, i saw a few weeks ago on Instagram that Eva shockey shot a nice buck in SK with a bow in sub zero temps. She was in body heater and had to unzip before drawing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes there must be some way that it can be done, but I find it real hard to imagine. I find myself having to change my sight settings when the weather changes to the point where I have to start piling on the layers. There is a strain to reach a complete anchor. There is an awkwardness to the whole shot set-up, and a definite variation in accuracy (not making it any better, I might add). Maybe there will be some success pictures appearing here to prove me wrong. But so far I haven't seen any.

Biz is right.  A hunter could easily shoot a bow using the Heater Body Suit.  If you look up a video of this piece of gear, then you will have seen a way to archery hunt in very cold temperatures.  It isn't awkward at all.  I shot my biggest buck using one at 22 degrees, and could have easily hunted in much colder weather without bulky layers affecting my accuracy.  Real life experience!

• Like 2

Yes there must be some way that it can be done, but I find it real hard to imagine. I find myself having to change my sight settings when the weather changes to the point where I have to start piling on the layers. There is a strain to reach a complete anchor. There is an awkwardness to the whole shot set-up, and a definite variation in accuracy (not making it any better, I might add). Maybe there will be some success pictures appearing here to prove me wrong. But so far I haven't seen any.

Check bowsite. It’s only bowhunting, and tons of kills every month from around the world

10 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Biz is right.  A hunter could easily shoot a bow using the Heater Body Suit.  If you look up a video of this piece of gear, then you will have seen a way to archery hunt in very cold temperatures.  It isn't awkward at all.  I shot my biggest buck using one at 22 degrees, and could have easily hunted in much colder weather without bulky layers affecting my accuracy.  Real life experience!

There is something I will have to check out. Was that a whole-body suit or just a heated jacket?

• Like 1

Doc - yes, lots of people shoot bows successfully in extreme cold temps. Many Canadian or western US hunts are during frigid temps. I see guys in bowsite forums killing animals in sun zero temps with a bow. In fact, i saw a few weeks ago on Instagram that Eva shockey shot a nice buck in SK with a bow in sub zero temps. She was in body heater and had to unzip before drawing

As Real TC said.... shooting in a winter outdoor 3d league sometimes you experience sun zero temps early in the morning.....from my experience the equipment does work.....but you can experience some funky things mostly related to bad form. When loaded with clothes anchor point can change and arrow drop was quite common.
Also horrible thing is some guys got bad frost bite on their finger tips and in my opinion that isn't worth a day shooting 3d or killing a deer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Alright challenge accepted.  I am heading out at 1pm with my bow (compound).  I am guessing getting a doe close enough for a bow shot may be the greater difficulty than the actual shot.   Might just tote the ML along too just in case.  Trying the Baffin boots and madbomber hat for first time.  Otherwise my apparal won't be any different than a cold day in bow season.   Decided to work morning and try afternoon today.  Tomorrow is morning and afternoon.  Then I am officially done. 

• Like 3

If I do hunt again this year, it will be with bow in 3S on Sat 12/23 or Sat 12/30. I got the Moog sponsored Muff for my shooting hand, so I should be fine (except for the fact I haven't shot my bow since I missed a yote in early November.