Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Never did make it back out this season. Bad cold a week ago kept me congested and I have a long road of treatment ahead if I want to hunt next season. Gotta be healthy and this frigid air was just not going to work for me. 

Thank you to all of the hunters posting their adventures  this season.  

• Like 6

Lots of fresh tracks in here, but the excitement of bring on stand again lasted 30 minutes .

I just want to sit on the hot tub with a drink , eat dinner and relax .

Just off nights , so sleep would be good too .

52ADCADA-0960-4109-8CB7-A11C54AF236D.jpeg

The youngster don’t let me down. He has fallen asleep on every watch this year lol. I’m afraid to let him hunt alone next year. Deer will run his ass right over. Or he will fall asleep and wake up middle of the night lol. Forget treestands!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Hunted Richmondville today with my son and brother. It was 1* when we started in, spotted 7 doe on the next mountain and went off in pursuit. Many many miles today but my son got to experience still hunting and tracking and missing all in one day. Caught two different groups bedded and stalked in on both which was extremely hard with 10 plus bedded all over. First group my son got in on, the gun didn’t go off due to a cap that wasn’t seated well. Second group he got to @60 yards and missed clean. Awesome day and I am happy we got to do it together. 

When we finally hit the truck I had him shoot the gun so he couldn’t say it was off. Lol. Iron sights ain’t for everyone but he sure like MY gun, that means I’ll buy a new one.

Saw in the ballpark of 20+, all does. One more day for me. 

• Like 6

I think that's a wrap for me.  Feeling the (freezer) burn after that all-day ice box sit.  Fisher and red tail hawk spotted, but no deer.  Still, it's been a great season for me and big step forward.  Very grateful.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, upstate said:

Never did make it back out this season. Bad cold a week ago kept me congested and I have a long road of treatment ahead if I want to hunt next season. Gotta be healthy and this frigid air was just not going to work for me. 

Thank you to all of the hunters posting their adventures  this season.  

Hey man.......I'll be rooting for you next year.

• Like 1

Last hunt of the season for me.  Had a lot of action this afternoon. Saw about 5 deer chased by a coyote across the stream on a ridge about 140 yards away.  Two of the deer peeled off and came across by me only 15 feet away .  They were yearlings.  It was funny, I watched them watching the coyote chase the other deer and when they went out of sight, these 2 ran back across the stream behind all of the chased deer.  Then about 45 minutes later a spike came into about 30 yards away.

Had a good season, lots of action during the regular bow season.  Shot a buck with the bow. Today was the most action I had during the gun season and ML season.  Very slow during those seasons, but had an enjoyable, safe season and am thankful for the time in the woods.

Thanks for all the cool stories and postings.  Merry Christmas everybody!

Jeff

• Like 5

Last hunt of the season for me.  Had a lot of action this afternoon. Saw about 5 deer chased by a coyote across the stream on a ridge about 140 yards away.  Two of the deer peeled off and came across by me only 15 feet away .  They were yearlings.  It was funny, I watched them watching the coyote chase the other deer and when they went out of sight, these 2 ran back across the stream behind all of the chased deer.  Then about 45 minutes later a spike came into about 30 yards away.

Had a good season, lots of action during the regular bow season.  Shot a buck with the bow. Today was the most action I had during the gun season and ML season.  Very slow during those seasons, but had an enjoyable, safe season and am thankful for the time in the woods.

Thanks for all the cool stories and postings.  Merry Christmas everybody!

Jeff

• Like 1

Felt like I was in a zoo tonight!!!

walkingin I  jumped a small buck  that ran right by me about 20ft climbed into the stand and had 5 or 6 or 7 does on the other side of the meadow being chased by a buck or yotes not sure but flying in and out of the woods and brush, 3 does did end up in sight, out about 100 yards and had the crossbow so no shots , all in all a very exciting hunt and forgot all about the cold.. 

Edited by Bowshotmuzzleloader
  • Like 3

Two does down with the muzzy, one yesterday and one today. Snuck up on four bedded doe this morning but opted to pass, was hunting a huge swamp and the drag would have been a PITA. Glad i waited to shoot one on my  property for the afternnoon sit, 4 does came in to one of my apple trees thats still holding fruit, shot the largest. Shes a huge girl and died only 75 yards from the road, glad for that because she is heavy.

20171217_170658.jpg

20171217_143854.jpg

• Like 23

10 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Two does down with the muzzy, one yesterday and one today. Snuck up on four bedded doe this morning but opted to pass, was hunting a huge swamp and the drag would have been a PITA. Glad i waited to shoot one on my  property for the afternnoon sit, 4 does came in to one of my apple trees thats still holding fruit, shot the largest. Shes a huge girl and died only 75 yards from the road, glad for that because she is heavy.

20171217_170658.jpg

20171217_143854.jpg

Big girl!

Still hunted again this afternoon. From noon till dark on land I recently got permission to hunt. Seen 5 deer. 1  all alone decent size, another one, tiny, and a momma with 2 small ones. Had a shot at momma and  lone bigger one. They were all flat tops and not what i was after today. I got tomorrow to hunt and then my hunting season is over. After 1rst of year will start all over again, moving stands, scouting for what made it through the season and finding access to more land.

Interesting night. I saw one small Toyota, a large Chevy with a plow and a giant John Deere. Seems the redneck field racing crew was out. Toyota died, Chevy got stuck and the Deere saved the day. Thankfully the Deere had 4 wheels on the back and made the path back to my stand much easier to drive on. Unfortunately that was the only deer I saw, and I don't have a recipe for the green ones. Mon-tues I'll be after em hard. Gotta punch at least one more tag to hit my hotdog quota.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Interesting night. I saw one small Toyota, a large Chevy with a plow and a giant John Deere. Seems the redneck field racing crew was out. Toyota died, Chevy got stuck and the Deere saved the day. Thankfully the Deere had 4 wheels on the back and made the path back to my stand much easier to drive on. Unfortunately that was the only deer I saw, and I don't have a recipe for the green ones. Mon-tues I'll be after em hard. Gotta punch at least one more tag to hit my hotdog quota.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'm with ya .I need one more. Need some burger meat

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 hours ago, genesee_mohican said:

We had steady snow all day yesterday and got about 8 inches. I don't think I've ever hunted in an all day snow like that before. I never saw a deer but the snow was pretty. Today I'm headed in a few miles to another stand, should be interesting walking. 

I have to laugh remembering how Oct temps were in the 80's and we talked about how the deer wouldn't move, how the warm air kills deer movement. If the opposite is true, then they should be running all over the place now, lol

They are moving over here on the West side but man that snow and dragging up hills is a killer. We are now seeing groups of deer running together. A buck was shot this morning walking with 3 other bucks.   Things are winding down.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

They are moving over here on the West side but man that snow and dragging up hills is a killer. We are now seeing groups of deer running together. A buck was shot this morning walking with 3 other bucks.   Things are winding down.

Only saw does today on the east side. I found a nice lone track and back tracked it toward the gorge to see where he came up. I would like to get back there and put a cam up, maybe hunt it next season.

Great weather for anyone out there today, I'm off tomorrow for the last deer hunt of the season.