Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

That nice buck that came by never presenting a shot yesterday did walk in front of my trail cam, so I pulled the card last night...he was a real nice 8pt! Man, so close...I'm working a half day today so hopefully get lucky later today.
8Pt_Muzzle_._12_17_17_1142_by_Pond.thumb.JPG.72339aed2809b406019789d395b04af1.JPG

That’s a wall hanger- I mean the picture itself! What a shot! That is why I hunt in the snow - what a view- good luck hanging him too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Just shot a doe and she went straight down kicked a few times and got up. She walked 15 yds and bedded. She got up again and moved then bedded again. Low shot? She was broadside at 45 yds. There are 2 doe with her and one is feeding. Can't see the other one or the one I shot.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I didnt end up getting out yesterday. Looks like the season is probably done for me, as I have kid stuff going on after work today and tomorrow. I cant complain though, it turned out to be a pretty darn good season for me. Good luck to those of you hunting these last 2 days of ML!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zem18 said:

Just shot a doe and she went straight down kicked a few times and got up. She walked 15 yds and bedded. She got up again and moved then bedded again. Low shot? She was broadside at 45 yds. There are 2 doe with her and one is feeding. Can't see the other one or the one I shot.

Could be low, could be a gut shot. Hang tight and dont go after her too soon. Better to give her time than to bump her.

• Like 3

Def give her time. Bedding down quick is a good sign. Let her lay as long as possible. If you can check blood without bumping do that then get out. If not, hang tight. Give her hours and be ready with a follow up shot. If I had to tell you when, I'd say 2pm. That way you still have a few hours of daylight to track.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Def give her time. Bedding down quick is a good sign. Let her lay as long as possible. If you can check blood without bumping do that then get out. If not, hang tight. Give her hours and be ready with a follow up shot. If I had to tell you when, I'd say 2pm. That way you still have a few hours of daylight to track.

Good advice.

Gut shot is prob gonna require a second shot (today) and liver is good after about 4hrs. Judging by what she did, I'd take a guess at one of those 2 shots. The hit sight is important to see blood and hair, but NOT bumping is more important. If you do get down to investigate, don't look down for sign, watch where she went and use your peripheral to get to the hit site. And if you didn't know, liver will be dark blood almost black/purple, gut shot u could prob smell... But will have slime, chunks, greens and browns with minimal bright red blood. R

• Like 1

I saw 3 deer head across the creek and thought mine was the last one. I eased over to the hit site and saw her bedded. She got up and I missed. I was able to reload and walk right up to her as she couldn't get up again. Pics to come

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Zem18 said:

I saw 3 deer head across the creek and thought mine was the last one. I eased over to the hit site and saw her bedded. She got up and I missed. I was able to reload and walk right up to her as she couldn't get up again. Pics to come

Awesome! Congrats!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zem18 said:

Nicccccccccce !!!  Congrats Zem :drinks:

• Like 1

Excellent morning with some not so well placed bullets but got it done thankfully02655974062498c3f5cd266e22ad1e06.jpg&key=cb2394db17533eee63391aeb53e607c2ced32602e3a3fd541f7c5a584dc92898

Nice! Got it done fairly quickly considering the initial thoughts about guts and liver. Where was that first shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. First shot was Liver mostly and some guts. Went in mid body but exited just in front of right rear leg. Thought she was broadside but must've been quartering too a bit. Now to drag her up this freakin hill of blowdowns.

Went out Friday afternoon and yesterday morning (including with another guy) to the same land that was teeming with deer all bow/crossbow season. According to the land owner, after a few days of gun the deer sightings dropped down from constant to virtually non-existent. With the snow fall I could confirm his land is still seeing a ton of deer traffic, but it's obviously all at night. Saw nothing either day. We then walked through cover trying to push and they were not there, either. No idea where they went. I've yet to harvest a deer with gun! Still got a bunch of meat in the freezer from bow and that's another season over :)

Thanks everyone. First shot was Liver mostly and some guts. Went in mid body but exited just in front of right rear leg. Thought she was broadside but must've been quartering too a bit. Now to drag her up this freakin hill of blowdowns.

Hey, you could be dragging a tag !?!!

• Like 4