Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Strike three but I went down swinging!!!

Overall I’m real happy with my season- 2 doe and a spike plus put my buddy on a slammer 8. My sightings were way up and even better my skunk days were few. HAPPY NEW YEARS to all my NYhunting friends!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree!

Still snowing on the island. Maybe I'll head out once it stops to see if there are any good tracks to follow. 

Still snowing in Westchester too. Do I pick up cam this afternoon or hunt the final hour or so?

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Still snowing in Westchester too. Do I pick up cam this afternoon or hunt the final hour or so?

Is today the last day of the season up in westchester? Guess you might as well hunt it if you're gonna be out there. Then pick up the cams on the way out. 

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Do both You never know when the Big one is standing in your shooting lane.Good luck

Is today the last day of the season up in westchester? Guess you might as well hunt it if you're gonna be out there. Then pick up the cams on the way out. 

Tomorrow is last day. I say hunt- bring extra hot hands...pretty sure that’s some frostbite I got going on my release hand knuckles from the last three days of 0-18 degree temps.

7e62642414b287721a6ec5e4c05c2070.jpg

17 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Well we’ve prepared the best we could for itemoji15.png. 1 kerosene heater, the entire buddy heater set (little buddy, buddy and big buddy haha). And 1 electric heater, blankets draped over all the doors and closed ourselves into the living room lol. I even brought two sleeping bags to make sure I slept nice and warm at least!

Ha... I was recently asked if we had more fires when it got this cold out . My answer was absolutely, as people start using all sorts of space heaters, and stoves for heat .

Bringing about more fires and co calls.

I hope your preparations included co detectors , and that the heaters have not been tinkered with some guys “adjust”the pilot because of blow outs and unknowingly destroy the O2 sensor when they do that .

One of the reasons the manuals say not to,use while sleeping. 

One kerosene ,three non vented propane , plus an electric one all in a small space full of blankets draped over windows and doors and sleeping bags , personally I would not sleep,there on a bet. 

• Like 1

I’m going for it. Snow just stopped. Sun peaking out. Leaving house now. Will check cam and sit till dark.

Stay tuned! Only 6 acres so I can’t try tracking something unlike my parents property thru the snow, so all I can do is sit and hope a nice buck comes tru. 4pt or better and I christen the Mathews (assuming I can still
Shoot it lol)

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’m going for it. Snow just stopped. Sun peaking out. Leaving house now. Will check cam and sit till dark.

Stay tuned! Only 6 acres so I can’t try tracking something unlike my parents property thru the snow, so all I can do is sit and hope a nice buck comes tru. 4pt or better and I christen the Mathews (assuming I can still
Shoot it lol)

Get er done !!

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

No buck pics and only 1 doein past 4 weeks. Guess I didn’t miss much here with the bow in 3S

Your are a go getter glad to see you went out,Next season will be a great one for everyone.

• Like 1

So half way to the first site I realized I forgot my thumb release on the coffee table. Crap. Going to have to use the backup wrist release. 

Well fears were unnecessary. Long Island hunters are a persistent bunch. Checked out three places. Each spot was full. 

Oh well. Nice drive around the island I suppose. 

• Like 1

Went to my new spot tonight. Saw several does and a beautiful 10 pt. Probably mid 140 class. This wasn't the buck that I saw there earlier in the week. I set my cam up tonight where he came out. Im not sure if I'll be there tomorrow night, but if not I'll be there Monday evening. 

• Like 4

So I got plenty of pics between last night and this morning at my new spot. I stopped by there to reevaluate the situation on where to set up. There is no place to hang a stand, so I ran to Dicks and bought a ground blind. I set it up and brushed it in. Normally I would be very concerned about scent from a new blind, but where it's set up with a good NW wind, I'll be in good shape. We'll see how it goes tonight. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, uberyan said:Nontypical you seem to have good experience hunting the island. Do you know why deer taken at Brookhaven and wildwood need to be checked at ridge? 

Maybe because they are both state parks. Other than that, I have no idea. I don't hunt any state land. 

I didn't see the big one tonight, but I did see 6 does and a very nice 8. Even though I tucked the ground blind into the thicket and brushed it in, a few did know that something was out of place. I was also less than pleased about the noise that came from the window flaps in the wind. It is an Ameristep blind and I did secure every window but they still made noise. Are they always noisy or was it from the extreme cold? I know that the deer heard it in the thicket, as they were not downwind. I'll leave the blind in place for now and let them get used to it. I probably won't get out again until next weekend. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, uberyan said:

Nontypical you seem to have good experience hunting the island. Do you know why deer taken at Brookhaven and wildwood need to be checked at ridge? 

if I remember correctly they found tritium in a few deer after a leak was discovered years ago at brookhaven lab.

here's a link about the leak :http://www.nytimes.com/1999/11/09/nyregion/brookhaven-finds-high-levels-of-tritium-in-monitoring-well.html

Edited by rachunter
correction

if I remember correctly they found tritium in a few deer after a leak was discovered years ago at brookhaven lab.
here's a link about the leak :http://www.nytimes.com/1999/11/09/nyregion/brookhaven-finds-high-levels-of-tritium-in-monitoring-well.html

Sounds lovely! That explains the low taxes (sarcasm as usual!)

• Like 2