Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

17 hours ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

How did they age it at 9 years old ? after 6 1/2 its very difficult to age a deer based on teeth.

You can actually age a deer using teeth until they're 10 1/2 years old. By then the molars will be worn down to the gum line. After that, it's just a guess. 

30 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

You can actually age a deer using teeth until they're 10 1/2 years old. By then the molars will be worn down to the gum line. After that, it's just a guess. 

I didnt know that, was just curious..

I figured they where making an educated guess at that point..

I shot an absolute slob of a doe a few years back and wish I had aged her,, it was opening morning and she got pushed out from an adjacent property and ran across the field to the hardwoods I was in,, she ran in about 40 yards and stopped, looked left and right and proceeded through the woods, she knew she did not want to be in that situation..

She was so heavy I had to get a friend to help me get her out and I have dragged other does out of there previously on my own this one proved to be a challenge..

I'm convinced these deer are just messing with me. A big 8 comes out shortly after I leave my blind last night. Then I get a video at noon today of a nontypical 8 passing my blind. There were plenty of deer moving at mid day today. I had an opportunity to leave at 2 when my coworker decided to bail out early. I said to myself, they moved early and I'll watch for a pattern as the week progresses. Sure enough, at 3:15 I get a video of the big 9 strolling on by  FML. At that point I told my boss that I might be feeling sick one afternoon this week. Not sure if it was the increase in temps today or if it was the small weather disturbance that is coming through tonight. I'm sure I'll be able to get into the blind before the week is out. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NonTypical said:

I'm convinced these deer are just messing with me. A big 8 comes out shortly after I leave my blind last night. Then I get a video at noon today of a nontypical 8 passing my blind. There were plenty of deer moving at mid day today. I had an opportunity to leave at 2 when my coworker decided to bail out early. I said to myself, they moved early and I'll watch for a pattern as the week progresses. Sure enough, at 3:15 I get a video of the big 9 strolling on by  FML. At that point I told my boss that I might be feeling sick one afternoon this week. Not sure if it was the increase in temps today or if it was the small weather disturbance that is coming through tonight. I'm sure I'll be able to get into the blind before the week is out. 

Can you shotgun in that area? If so maybe hunters moving them around. 

4 minutes ago, First-light said:

Can you shotgun in that area? If so maybe hunters moving them around. 

Nope. It's in a residential area that with homes on both sides. There is a large bedding area that is very thick that they are coming out of. There is a vineyard and standing corn behind it that they are hitting at night, but there are no gun hunters on the farm. The lot that I'm hunting on doesn't even have any trees to hang a stand, so I've been hunting out of a blind. Along the edge of the bedding area is many young spruce and cedar trees which they enjoy feeding on and use as a staging area. 

• Like 2

Just got back from Ohio for their black powder season. I was very happy to take a doe on opening day Saturday. Another hunter in our party took a nice 10 Point and a doe as well. Overall a very successful trip with great memories and fun. c581cdac07b7778a5d23fc056365cacb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 14

Just got back from Ohio for their black powder season. I was very happy to take a doe on opening day Saturday. Another hunter in our party took a nice 10 Point and a doe as well. Overall a very successful trip with great memories and fun. c581cdac07b7778a5d23fc056365cacb.jpg&key=1cd4b57bc4ddaab68efeec67c9e8b6502e8457429483c91821a3f8316750789d

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nice. But doesn’t this belong in 2018?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. But doesn’t this belong in 2018?

Ok I’ll ask...CANT BIZ JUST START A 2018 THREAD????

What better way to show your new employer (congrats by the way!) your go “get ‘em” style then by taking the bull by the horns and just START THE F’ing THREAD!!!!!

• Like 4

Hey Biz, maybe instead of starting a new 2018 thread someone can edit this thread to make it read 2017/2018 since the season hasn't ended yet for some of us fortunate ones? 

Rachunter, good luck getting out for the next few days! 

From what I've been seeing over the past week at my new spot is that the bucks are returning to their bachelor groups. It seems that the one group that I'm getting pics of are getting new members every day. And what's even better is that not one buck out of the dozen or so bucks that are there have lost their horns yet! 

• Like 2

Hey Biz, maybe instead of starting a new 2018 thread someone can edit this thread to make it read 2017/2018 since the season hasn't ended yet for some of us fortunate ones? 
Rachunter, good luck getting out for the next few days! 
From what I've been seeing over the past week at my new spot is that the bucks are returning to their bachelor groups. It seems that the one group that I'm getting pics of are getting new members every day. And what's even better is that not one buck out of the dozen or so bucks that are there have lost their horns yet! 

I’m fine with that too. If I decide to hunt furbearers this month I can’t talk about it in a 2017 thread

Ok I’ll ask...CANT BIZ JUST START A 2018 THREAD????

What better way to show your new employer (congrats by the way!) your go “get ‘em” style then by taking the bull by the horns and just START THE F’ing THREAD!!!!!

Lol. I think only Mods can create those “sticky” threads that stay up top

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’m fine with that too. If I decide to hunt furbearers this month I can’t talk about it in a 2017 thread

Sure you can. We won't give you a hard time if you want to talk about it in this thread. But if it will help you sleep better, why not start a furbearer 2018 thread? I'm sure that it would get plenty of attention as it sounds like there are quite a few members that would contribute. You can start the thread and a mod can make it a sticky!

• Like 1

I'm going to go out today to round up the seat cushions and trail cams with a hunting buddy. Also going to do some scouting before all the snow melts. I put on some of my hunting clothes for warmth and to stay dry . . . . they are a little tight :) 

6 minutes ago, goosifer said:

I'm going to go out today to round up the seat cushions and trail cams with a hunting buddy. Also going to do some scouting before all the snow melts. I put on some of my hunting clothes for warmth and to stay dry . . . . they are a little tight :) 

If you like squirrel hunt bring  .22 they seem to be every where today. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2017 at 8:05 PM, rachunter said:

if I remember correctly they found tritium in a few deer after a leak was discovered years ago at brookhaven lab.

here's a link about the leak :http://www.nytimes.com/1999/11/09/nyregion/brookhaven-finds-high-levels-of-tritium-in-monitoring-well.html

The checking of deer from those locations has zero to do with your link. Those areas were opened to hunting 5 years ago. The wildlife biologist here at the time worked hard to get the parks on board for hunting instead of doing culls. Dec wanted to keep track of the # of deer being taken off the properties so they could go back to the parks and show them the numbers. Therefore the parks would no longer need to cull. Problem is only a fraction of the deer killed are getting reported. I hunt all those areas and gave up trying to educate guys, as most couldn't be bothered. The good news is I be live culling has stopped on those properties, the bad news there's ALOT less deer. The first few years of open hunting season, then late winter culling really beat em down. One of those properties used to be my goto #1 spot, I hunted it once this year. That's how good it is now....

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Coastalhick said:

Thanks for the info I don’t really keep up with what’s going on here on Long Island. But from what I’m seeing today there’s no real shortage of deer. 

To be honest I thought the op was asking about Brookhaven lad.