Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

6 hours ago, Coastalhick said:

The checking of deer from those locations has zero to do with your link. Those areas were opened to hunting 5 years ago. The wildlife biologist here at the time worked hard to get the parks on board for hunting instead of doing culls. Dec wanted to keep track of the # of deer being taken off the properties so they could go back to the parks and show them the numbers. Therefore the parks would no longer need to cull. Problem is only a fraction of the deer killed are getting reported. I hunt all those areas and gave up trying to educate guys, as most couldn't be bothered. The good news is I be live culling has stopped on those properties, the bad news there's ALOT less deer. The first few years of open hunting season, then late winter culling really beat em down. One of those properties used to be my goto #1 spot, I hunted it once this year. That's how good it is now....

That makes sense. I would have no problem reporting any deer taken from those areas or for any state property for that matter. 

Is that information not required when you submit a tag online?

In any case I was more concerned with whether I had to present a whole carcass in person at the check station. 

I would prefer to quarter out in the field. 

58 minutes ago, rachunter said:

That’s a warp for today. My brother didn’t see any deer just a bunch of turkey. Hitting it again tomorrow. 

Are you hunting the same state land tomorrow? Good luck and let's keep this thread going for 3 more weeks  

There wasn't much movement on my cam today, until about 4:30. Then they came out like gangbusters  I'd really like to get out tomorrow afternoon, but I don't think it's going to happen. If I don't, I'm going to do an all day sit in my blind on Saturday. The rain is supposed to stop in the morning with temps dropping all day. After a heavy rain Friday, they should move on Saturday once the rain stops. We'll see. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

Are you hunting the same state land tomorrow? Good luck and let's keep this thread going for 3 more weeks  

There wasn't much movement on my cam today, until about 4:30. Then they came out like gangbusters  I'd really like to get out tomorrow afternoon, but I don't think it's going to happen. If I don't, I'm going to do an all day sit in my blind on Saturday. The rain is supposed to stop in the morning with temps dropping all day. After a heavy rain Friday, they should move on Saturday once the rain stops. We'll see. 

ya i'll be out in the same park different parking spot.They where all over the place on the way home. Friday and Saturday look like a wash but i'm hoping to get out I have off until Tuesday then it's pick and choose until the end of the month.

on a side note a lot of 2.5 year olds with no antlers where taken off private and town land. Tomorrow the bino's come out and if I can't tell if it's a buck or doe it walks.I personally won't shoot an antlerless buck if it can be avoided. 

Well, it's winding down for me here on LI. Few obligations coming up i might get out a couple more times, but ive pretty much got my meat quota. Been a decent season, last week i got to take my first deer on the ground with a bow, and followed it up with another bow stalk kill a few days later. The snow, cold temps, and high winds made for perfect stalking condition. In addition to the 2 antlerless I took I passed on a 6pt I had at 15yds and a forker at 25yds, I didn't have any more buck tags and besides I like to let em get a bit bigger. Here's my 4 from this season, hope everyone's got some meat in the freezer!

20171026_190250.jpg

20171113_101344.jpg

20180101_091332.jpg

20180107_103655.jpg

Edited by Coastalhick
  • Like 5