Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

I've been getting pics of a beautiful 9pt at my new spot from my cell cam just about everyday this week, but at different times. One day was noon, then first light, and on Friday about 3:30. Work has been getting in the way, and I finally had a chance to sit. I decided that I would do an all day sit. I've never done one this late in the season. 

Saturday morning it was 56* and blowing S 15-20 at 6am. Temps dropped all day and the wind wen NW 15-20.  It was 36* by noon and dropped to about 30*. I saw 3 does in the am and I stayed put in my blind. A few does moved into the staging area at around 3:15. Not long after that my hunt came to an abrupt end as the new property owners kid enjoyed his new quad on their new property. As upset as I was of having it ruined just as it became happy hour, I graciously packed up and headed home.

I went out again this morning and had a good buck pass by my blind at 6:15. I could just make out his rack as it was still pretty dark. That was all that I saw. I stayed in until 10. It was pretty cold with a temp of 14* and a stiff N wind. The afternoon forecast had it going NNE. That would be blowing right into the bedding area. Not good. So I decided to pass it up this evening. Wouldn't you know it, by 3:15 I had a group of does hanging around. By 3:45, the big 9 makes an appearance 25 yds from my blind! It killed me to think that I blew it, but with the forecasted wind, I know that I made the right call. I have 2 more weekends to get it done, and to be honest, I'm running out of steam after 3 1/2 months. I'm undecided if I'll get out again. I'm sure I will, but a part of me now wants to see him make it another year. We'll see what happens...

• Like 5

I've been getting pics of a beautiful 9pt at my new spot from my cell cam just about everyday this week, but at different times. One day was noon, then first light, and on Friday about 3:30. Work has been getting in the way, and I finally had a chance to sit. I decided that I would do an all day sit. I've never done one this late in the season. 
Saturday morning it was 56* and blowing S 15-20 at 6am. Temps dropped all day and the wind wen NW 15-20.  It was 36* by noon and dropped to about 30*. I saw 3 does in the am and I stayed put in my blind. A few does moved into the staging area at around 3:15. Not long after that my hunt came to an abrupt end as the new property owners kid enjoyed his new quad on their new property. As upset as I was of having it ruined just as it became happy hour, I graciously packed up and headed home.
I went out again this morning and had a good buck pass by my blind at 6:15. I could just make out his rack as it was still pretty dark. That was all that I saw. I stayed in until 10. It was pretty cold with a temp of 14* and a stiff N wind. The afternoon forecast had it going NNE. That would be blowing right into the bedding area. Not good. So I decided to pass it up this evening. Wouldn't you know it, by 3:15 I had a group of does hanging around. By 3:45, the big 9 makes an appearance 25 yds from my blind! It killed me to think that I blew it, but with the forecasted wind, I know that I made the right call. I have 2 more weekends to get it done, and to be honest, I'm running out of steam after 3 1/2 months. I'm undecided if I'll get out again. I'm sure I will, but a part of me now wants to see him make it another year. We'll see what happens...

Damn.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got out of work a little early today. Did a quick sit in the blind tonight. I was in just before 3. Ended up seeing 7 does, a small 4 point, and a wide 2 1/2 yo 8 pt. The 8 got a pass at 15 yds. He's been hanging out with the 9 pt that I've been after. Unfortunately, he didn't show up this evening. Unless something changes this week, I won't be out until Saturday. 

• Like 1

When do they start dropping around here? I'll probably try my luck with a few more actual hunts before the season ends. 
After that I'm planning on doing some shed searching as an excuse to get out of the house. 

I have never been successful until February and even then, I’m not that successful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Went out for a walk about with the 20 g. Jumped a rabbit but no shot.  Still was nice to be out.

Might go tomorrow again.

Was a great day to be out!If I was not still in a leg cast I would have been out.Sat on the porch and watched the birds pecking at the food I tossed out to them while drinking a beer and wishing I were in the woods

Went to check out a bow only spot here on Long Island. I never hunt it before so I left the bow behind and just scouted around. Found a lot of sign and a lot of tree stands. Decided it’s not for me and left. I’m going to call it quits for this season. Time to start shooting. also found an arrow.

6ADCC52D-7484-48D3-B097-B92DE84C2BC3.jpeg

Edited by rachunter

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

I sure hope at some point you eastern NY'rs can kill a deer during this late season. 

We gotta wrap this thing up at some point.........

Ok. I took one for the team tonight. I shot a nice big mature doe with the bow this evening. I stayed in the blind until dark. Saw one more doe and also had a slammer come out at 45 yds just as I was about to get out of the blind. I don't think he was the big 9 or the wide 8 that I've been hunting there. This one appeared to have a bigger body and a lot of mass on his head. I'll be out again tomorrow evening. It might be my last hunt for the year. Unfortunately, the last couple of days, all buck movement has been after dark. I even have what appears to be two small bucks sparring. I'm going to bring my horns with me tomorrow and try to entice one of the bigger deer out of his bed before dark. I'm not sure if it will work this late in the year, but at this point, it's my last chance. 

• Like 7

I got out yesterday on County land. We had 6 of us on 2 adjoining areas doing drives all day. The deer numbers are way down compared to years ago, but we still managed 4 kills. 2 does, 1 shed buck and 1 button buck. We all had chances at deer an should’ve had our limit of 6, but still a good day overall. That might be my last hunt of the year as I’ll be out of town this weekend. There’s still an outside chance that I’ll slip into my blind once more early next week. 

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 3

I got out one more time tonight with the gun for the last sit of the year. I sat until almost sunset and had several does come out, but I've been waiting for a certain 9 point. He never showed. I ended up taking a quick walk into the thicket hoping to push him out. To my surprise I came across a fresh rub. I heard some deer get up so I exited and circled around. I spotted a nontypical 8 that I've gotten pics of with a couple of does at about 140 yards away along the vineyard. It was too far of a shot, so I let him go. I checked my watch and it was game over. I've never hunted this hard in January, and had so many close encounters. So even though I didn't get it done for the late season with a mature buck, I'm still grateful for the chances I've had and I look forward to crossing paths with these bucks next year, when they'll be bigger and wiser. Now I just have to wait for them to start dropping so I can start shed hunting. 

image.thumb.png.99d14b74c6e4634d9a8eed10ad4f14aa.png

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Belo said:

whose hungry? lol

002.thumb.JPG.d45c1c1624082a31920fded851c62c61.JPG

Today here is an absolute perfect day. Fairly cold and the sun is out in full force. I saw bushy tailed tree rats everywhere this morning coming to work   Knew I was missing a good day out there  May walk an old track bed tomorrow to thwack some bunnies

14 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Today here is an absolute perfect day. Fairly cold and the sun is out in full force. I saw bushy tailed tree rats everywhere this morning coming to work   Knew I was missing a good day out there  May walk an old track bed tomorrow to thwack some bunnies

this was yesterday. it's amazing when a little sun comes out and the weather gets above 35.