Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

At about 11:00 this morning I shot my first deer with a muzzleloader, a 6 point buck at 150 yards. I just recently got home after dealing with it. I posted the story in the hunting success stories forum here (I thought there was a muzzleloader harvest thread but couldn't find it.) Sorry for the pic, I was solo and in a hurry. (FWIW, I was aiming for the lungs; it ended up being a neck shot <shrug>.)

poot-little-dead-deer.jpg

Edited by goosifer
comment on shot placement
  • Like 19

I snuck out for the last hour with my son. I wish we got earlier but he had school. I knew the deer would be out. We caught one and he caught us going in beside the tower. We had a stand off, he actually came towards us but to thick for a shot before he trotted off. Pretty sure he was a button. Saw a tail going outa the clearing as we got to the tower. I'm not sure if it was the same one. After that nothing until we heard a shot just on the neighboring property. Whoever it is has been hunting the other side of the bedding area behind a row of houses next to mine. Whoever it is they have been at least shooting at a lot of deer. I have heard them shoot at least 4 different times from that same spot this year and a couple last. That's just when I am around. We were close, we will get in there earlier tomorrow!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tughill Tamer said:

I guess it's a good thing hunting is done on the Tug Hill, they have recorded Almost 7 ft of snow so far this year and I be wouldn't be able to get to my spots anyways.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yikes.   That would be tough to hunt. 

Well I think that was hunt number 10 or 11. Still zero deer. 

Does popped out ten minutes before legal light ended but they wouldn't come in range. Some random guy comes up from behind me asking if I saw a deer he shot. 

Really kicking myself for passing on the doe and spike when I had the chance early in the season. 

Can't double dip on weekends. One day for hunting. One day with wife and kid. 

I've been telling her things like there are guys on the forum who have gone out 64 times this season alone. She's not getting the hint. 

8 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Both.   You need one for the freezer.  You got this.  

Here was my view this morning- couldn’t get site to work all day
284be72eff76b87d9d33b4944cf33be1.jpg
Saw tracks, climbed quiet, saw $hit!!!!
Home by 11...sat with my daughter at an audition for a lead part in “the little mermaid” (send prayers!) and drive to Hingham, MA. $hitty “Italian” for dinner ($12 knob creek-WTF?!?) gearing up for the Yankees/Giant ribbing from the cousins tomorrow at the Mrs Family Christmas....I smell a sick day for next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Here was my view this morning- couldn’t get site to work all day
284be72eff76b87d9d33b4944cf33be1.jpg&key=6bb277d9ac330399259f3614d4dd3138ec18f55969fd40c2f0f4a43340cd7291
Saw tracks, climbed quiet, saw $hit!!!!
Home by 11...sat with my daughter at an audition for a lead part in “the little mermaid” (send prayers!) and drive to Hingham, MA. $hitty “Italian” for dinner ($12 knob creek-WTF?!?) gearing up for the Yankees/Giant ribbing from the cousins tomorrow at the Mrs Family Christmas....I smell a sick day for next week!

Should have gone to hingham beer works.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Couldn't open tge site all day Saturday but I managed to beat the cold and pulled an all day sit Saturday. Passed on this little buck at about 10 yards. He came in at 8:06 then no other deer seen after that made for a long cold sit...and my thermos of hot chocolate was cold by 9:00! Planning another all day sit Sunday. Hopefully there will be more deer movement.

20171216_082106.jpg

• Like 1

My bil came over yesterday morning for his final hunt of the year. We sat about 100 yards apart and at 9am 2 small bucks came by me and worked thier way to within 30 yards of him. He made a great shot on 1 with his open sighted hawken style muzzleloader. I got to watch the buck drop. We skinned and quarterd it here. Turns out it was a half rack, wouldve been a small 8. It dropped 1 side already because it had been previously shot in the neck! Through and through, small hole that was all puss filled. Not alot of fat on him. Happy he was taken out. And a happy ending to the 2017 season, on to coyotes.

• Like 8

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:26 PM, Tughill Tamer said:

I guess it's a good thing hunting is done on the Tug Hill, they have recorded Almost 7 ft of snow so far this year and I be wouldn't be able to get to my spots anyways.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That's pretty tough hunting when you need a periscope to see over the snow.

Live from Dunkin' Donuts. Coffee and wake up wraps for the road out east

most likely my last hunt for this spot for the season. 

Stick around to closer areas as needed until the season ends. 

Starting to lose motivation overall but dragging myself out for one last hurrah here. 

We had steady snow all day yesterday and got about 8 inches. I don't think I've ever hunted in an all day snow like that before. I never saw a deer but the snow was pretty. Today I'm headed in a few miles to another stand, should be interesting walking. 

I have to laugh remembering how Oct temps were in the 80's and we talked about how the deer wouldn't move, how the warm air kills deer movement. If the opposite is true, then they should be running all over the place now, lol

Could not get on yesterday at all but still hunted yesterday morn and tracks and beds galore but no deer. Put in 4 hours. Then sat a couple hours with my son on evening watch nada.

7 degrees this morn sounds like no fun but I’m gearing up and heading out.