Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

The downpour actually came to a halt for now. Now that we're deaf from rain pounding the top of blind. Feel like I was inside a kettle drum at a parade. Creek outta be ripping pretty good by now. We'll find out later 

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 3

The young bucks have been on the move for the last week. Had this young buck at 15 yds. on second day of the season. Four days later he was sparring in the same field with another young buck over a nearby mature doe. It was really enjoyable watching the 2 young bucks butt heads with their small racks and push each other around. Even though they had small racks, the sound was very loud from them clashing their racks together. I have always maintained that you don't need to score on a deer to enjoy a great day out hunting.

valoroutdoors.com

59db8837f2905_2017SmallBuck.thumb.jpeg.961bcbb2fc51d74da27150e52155a6d2.jpeg

• Like 6

Pulling the plug at noon. Rain let up for now. Kiddo has homework , 3 tests to study for and dentist apt 

Another youth season with no punched tag but had a lot of fun regardless. She'll hunt gun opener with me for the morning. Peace out from actually "live" until then. Good luck everyone 

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

work hard to play hard TF.

i was out yesterday evening with a thermacell lit.  a couple buttons, couple doe fawns, and rest were young adult doe.  passed them all at less than 20 yards.  nothing big came in.  heat had them coming to food after dark i'd imagine. bowhunter sighting log seeing some action but that's where it ends so far.  hoping it cools down soon.

21 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Pulling the plug at noon. Rain let up for now. Kiddo has homework , 3 tests to study for and dentist apt 

Another youth season with no punched tag but had a lot of fun regardless. She'll hunt gun opener with me for the morning. Peace out from actually "live" until then. Good luck everyone 

Slow walk out, head on a swivel

Sat a good deal longer than I planned but it turned out to be eventful. I bumped a young Buck laying right by my stand on the way in. As I was getting settled into the stand I noticed he was not far off. He had only gone about 60 yards and was watching/listening as I settled in. Eventually he wandered of.

I managed to rattle him back in about 5 hours later. He came in from my 6, which was unexpected, but downwind, so probably should have expected that. Anyway, he came right up to the stand which is nestled between 2 young Hemlocks. Lots of cris-crossing branches that make it difficult to see me from right below. I was crouching and watching the area where the big Bucks bed when I heard the snuffling right under me. I slowly peeked around and down and he was right there. My home brew acorn scent cover seemed to do the trick. I was hunting next to a large Oak and he wandered right under me and toward the acorns. Never spooked or seemed alerted. He was 1.5 I would say. He had long spikes, was almost a 3 pointer. Not in my shooting class but fun to have a deer get into range none the less.

Edited by Papist
  • Like 5