Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Finally made it up north for the first time all season and have had the greatest hunt of my life. For over an hour I had 3 bull moose 100yds below me in an all out brawl. Could only see glimpses because of the leaves but the sounds alone were unbelievable. They're "grunts" literally shake the ground this close. Brother got the big boy that we had in cam last night. Don't have service enough to get the pics but when I do I'll post them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That had to be unbelievable!!! The things we get to see in the woods while hunting...even if they are few and far between are the main reason I get up early and sit in a stand. That is awesome!

2 hours ago, grampy said:

Picking up my 13 year old grandson after work tonight. This time tomorrow, I'm hoping we will be dragging out his first deer! We will hang out tonight, shoot our bows, get his camo and pack ready, and get up at 4 for breakfast! Then head to the best spot I have on two properties. If the deer are moving at all, they will come through there. .....I hope. If it were to be 20 degrees colder, it would almost be a guarantee. So we will see.  God I love making memories with him. Hoping to make a special one tomorrow. Wish us luck guys.

Best of luck! I'll be rooting for you guys.....can't wait to see pics when it happens!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

What a jerk! Though in all fairness ypur dad did give you 5-6 shots. That's at least a reload and a half. You didn't sight in the rifles after you landed?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Of course, we did the day we landed. This was like the 3rd or 4th day. All I can think of is that I got lazy one of the days in the truck bouncing off road and wasn't holding the gun tight and it got jarred since I don't remember dropping the gun or anything. We couldn't hit an 8x10 paper with the gun the next day after my misses. I must have been missing the deer by a ton because my first shot was like 240yds and he kept coming closer and I kept missing. Finally, I told my dad to just shoot him. My Dad thought I had buck fever or something. My Dad shot him at around 180yds with 1 shot.

56 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Must be nice. I'm sure I have told this story before but in 2000, when I was 16 years old, I missed a 130" 8pt. 5-6 times in Texas (fair-chase hunt) because the scope was jarred and way off. Then my Dad shot him. I was devastated, but at least happy for my Dad. He told me not to worry and that I would get another chance someday at a buck like that. Well 17 years later it has never happened (trail cam or real life). LOL.

IMG_3445.JPG

Biz,  when I was 16 years old my first year deer hunting with my Dad I was walking up an old logging road...plodding along paying no attention to anything because i was young and dumb (still dumb, just not young) and the biggest deer I have ever seen jumped out of a thicket right next to me. It scared the crap out of me and let out the loudest snort I have ever heard and was high tailing it up the side of a ridge to my left. I unloaded my 12 GA (5 shots) in its general direction as it worked its way up a very steep ridge...loaded two more shells in and fired them as it disappeared over the top. I was 43 when I got the 9pt in my avatar (by far the biggest buck of my life) and to this day I would swear that deer was bigger. My Dad was about 250 yds away and came right over and didn't understand how I could have possibly shoot so many times so quickly....we scoured the side of that ridge for blood even though I knew in my heart I came nowhere near hitting him. I will always wonder what that deer actually looked like...I still can picture it today running up that ridge. At least you know what your encounter was and you still got to enjoy him with your dad.....Your day will come and the longer it is the sweeter it will be!

• Like 1

Of course, we did the day we landed. This was like the 3rd or 4th day. All I can think of is that I got lazy one of the days in the truck bouncing off road and wasn't holding the gun tight and it got jarred since I don't remember dropping the gun or anything. We couldn't hit an 8x10 paper with the gun the next day after my misses. I must have been missing the deer by a ton because my first shot was like 240yds and he kept coming closer and I kept missing. Finally, I told my dad to just shoot him. My Dad thought I had buck fever or something. My Dad shot him at around 180yds with 1 shot.

Didn't want to swap guns with the old man? Me and BigAl swapped guns for his antelope when we went out west last October.

3 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Didn't want to swap guns with the old man? Me and BigAl swapped guns for his antelope when we went out west last October.

I did use his gun for the rest of the trip but only saw small bucks. In the heat of the moment, he thought I had buck fever and I didn't know why I was missing so we never thought to have me shoot his gun.

36 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

What is the process to getting big muscles like you? Right now I am dealing moreso with a big jiggly 28 year old beer belly with tight sexy legs, all.my flab is in my gut

donuts - minimum of 1/2 dozen a day.  Its a very well kept secret among the fitness gurus.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Now that is a process I can get behind!

when I started college football I was a real lean 245lbs.  Play d-line and I wanted to be 300, so my diet consisted of stopping at mcdonalds whenever possible and stuffing down 10 cheeseburgers (back when they had the 35 cent deal - showing my age).  It worked, played at about 310 my last 3 years but I stopped being real lean.  lol  Those cheeseburgers are still sticking with me, now I add the donuts in their place.

I didn't go out..Mr B had force me awake at 6pm last night...then I fell right back to sleep after dinner and my alarm went off at 4:30 and I just couldn't move..Got back from checking garden cam...I am afraid to look at it 143 pics...checked out the "hay field plot" remember front field bad weeds took over...Well the frost killed the weeds and that plot is the thickest clover I have on the property now..5 beds all 25 yrds from the stand there.So growth or not still doing what I hoped for...

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

when I started college football I was a real lean 245lbs.  Play d-line and I wanted to be 300, so my diet consisted of stopping at mcdonalds whenever possible and stuffing down 10 cheeseburgers (back when they had the 35 cent deal - showing my age).  It worked, played at about 310 my last 3 years but I stopped being real lean.  lol  Those cheeseburgers are still sticking with me, now I add the donuts in their place.

4 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

I have a man crush obviouslyemoji87.png

17 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Now that is a process I can get behind!

Moog is lying. I met him. He's 143lbs soaking wet. The pic is deceiving. Due to bad circulation, he is wearing 8 base layers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, OtiscoPaul said:

Could have used all this damn wind on the way in thru the dorito gauntlet this AM.

also maybe I should read my book more thoroughly fall turkey opens 21st here as well. Thanks fletch

It's all on how you walk...I use a grunt tube and I will shake the be gee gees out of tree limbs I can reach...That or I do what I call the skunk shuffle..don't step but shuffle stop, do a count and then shuffle, ect. ect.. I do take long strides and step softly in between(feeling for limbs before fully steppng down... just to not take forever. The whole time saying Man I can hardly wait to get the leaf blower out!  We are almost there...maybe Sunday...

2 minutes ago, growalot said:

It's all on how you walk...I use a grunt tube and I will shake the be gee gees out of tree limbs I can reach...That or I do what I call the skunk shuffle..don't step but shuffle stop, do a count and then shuffle, ect. ect.. I do take long strides and step softly in between(feeling for limbs before fully steppng down... just to not take forever. The whole time saying Man I can hardly wait to get the leaf blower out!  We are almost there...maybe Sunday...

Has anyone tried using a stick and to set it down after each foot comes down to sound four legged? I have read about that being a good trick,anyone use it?

7 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Has anyone tried using a stick and to set it down after each foot comes down to sound four legged? I have read about that being a good trick,anyone use it?

if the deer are that smart we dont stand a chance cause they should be able to hunt us at that point.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

if the deer are that smart we dont stand a chance cause they should be able to hunt us at that point.  

You ever see that Calvin and hobbes cartoon where the deer come out of the elevator in the office and shoot one of the humans and the bucks congratulate each other,oh,nice big one....that is hilarious...

• Like 3

The thing about them hearing your walking is are strides...we all have a rhythmic walk and when they hear that and see or smell humans it actually does stick with them..No different than us being able to hear animals walking in the leafs. I would hope by now most of us can tell the difference between a big or any buck walking up behind us from a doe or a squirrel... when I said skunk shuffle ...they have a distinct sound as they are looking for food and they sit lower to the ground. Especially with their fur,  morethan a raccoon..Coons tend to walk bodies up high on there feet as do possum...munks scurry fast than a red squirrel and greys pounce from leafs to logs and trees trunks...turkey are in groups and can be either strangely quiet or sound like a rolling motion coming in. Some times I have found trying to be too sneaky quiet is far more alarming to them then if I actually skip by them...and yes when its really loud out there I have skipped to my stand and right past deer..They are actually curious animals and it takes some time for them to process things..So they will stand still and listen...

4 minutes ago, growalot said:

The thing about them hearing your walking is are strides...we all have a rhythmic walk and when they hear that and see or smell humans it actually does stick with them..No different than us being able to hear animals walking in the leafs. I would hope by now most of us can tell the difference between a big or any buck walking up behind us from a doe or a squirrel... when I said skunk shuffle ...they have a distinct sound as they are looking for food and they sit lower to the ground. Especially with their fur,  morethan a raccoon..Coons tend to walk bodies up high on there feet as do possum...munks scurry fast than a red squirrel and greys pounce from leafs to logs and trees trunks...turkey are in groups and can be either strangely quiet or sound like a rolling motion coming in. Some times I have found trying to be too sneaky quiet is far more alarming to them then if I actually skip by them...and yes when its really loud out there I have skipped to my stand and right past deer..They are actually curious animals and it takes some time for them to process things..So they will stand still and listen...

If the terrain permit, could ride a bicycle into your spot.

8 minutes ago, growalot said:

if your wearing a fur coat and skipping through the woods to fool a deer you need more than venison! lol 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, growalot said:

Ok growalot,now I have an image in my mind of you skipping to the stand. It sounds like a great idea and i might try it someday soon. Probably makes the skipper happy too. And i am serious.