Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I suggest sighting it in dead-on at 60 yds. This way anything under you hold a little low and anything out to 100yds you hold a little high. 100-150yds hold on top of back. 150-200yds put a little daylight between the crosshairs and the back.

Ahh how many feet per second do these things shoot?

Hit up some public land in Columbia county from 7 to about 3ish. Was thinking about staying all day but decided to get back home in time to have the guys over to watch the Yankees game  

Not one deer seen. Plan was to still hunt in the morning while it was somewhat cooler and then look for some good signs and sit over that area. I saw one tiny scat pile. No rubs or scrapes. There were deer here last season and a whole lot of signs but nothing this time around. I wonder if they only roll into the area late in the season. 

Otherwise just a bunch of squirrels. One turkey in the distance. Oh and I had my first bear encounter. 

Probably stick to bowhunting on the island for now. Not happy about next weekend being another warm one. 

Wonder if I'll have to scout some new public lands for rifle season. Not seeing deer is one thing, a complete lack of any proof of existence is another. 

Edited by uberyan

Still hitting different stands...I could do that all season. I wanted to go to one that would give me an idea of their direction in to the Apple tree stand. I was hoping to catch them coming in and waiting the edges as it were...Had a small owl pop out of a hole in the tree next to me and fly away..neat...then a parade of squirrels come into a bath tub water hole to get a drink and eat maple leaf whirlies. I waited past close bow on ground still hoping fir info...nothing...crunched my way out and kicked up at least 2  over the ridge that were headed in....Going in morning because of Turkey...but this is going to be a leaf blowing trails week end...So I can enjoy some quiet next week until the next heavy drop.

Ps..it was a wonderful airline of my prettiest scene stand...

Edited by growalot

4 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I suggest sighting it in dead-on at 60 yds. This way anything under you hold a little low and anything out to 100yds you hold a little high. 100-150yds hold on top of back. 150-200yds put a little daylight between the crosshairs and the back.

Since I'm  New to this weapon , I'll keep my shots this year to 100 yards max , unless it's really big .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pretty warm day but decided to do an afternoon sit. Bugs flying everywhere but did see three different bucks and no does. One was a good sized buck with a small crotch rack and the other two were small deer with small basket racks. All were to far away for a shot and two were really small bucks feeding together 20 yds. apart and no sign of aggression.

Probably won't hunt the weekend with mid to high 70's in the forecast. To many bugs for me. :bad:

It's already down to 46 here supposed to go down to 41 so I'll be out in morning then maybe get the boat out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hunting the am for sure, I'll
Be back in by 10 though

• Like 1

Weird just took the dog for a walk and heard five shots.... one lone shot and then after 10 seconds 5 in a row....... I guess someone is out poaching again

Or shooting coyotes

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Heading to the Newfield lease for the first time tomorrow AM.

Gonna hunt while it's cool and then switch out my lone wolf hand climber (which has been locked in a tree for almost a year) with a ladder stand...only have to hike it about a mile!

That'll be it for me this weekend I do believe.

Had a spike horn come out at 70 yards tonight in the usual spot all the deer do, grunted at him to mess with him and got him to 20 yards. That was fun. Iv'e seen deer on all but 4-5 sits this year, and i've hunted all but 5 or so days.