Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Well I had a small 8pt come by me, I put the cross hairs on him but gave him a pass, that's all I saw from 2pm on. I called home when I left to get the report from my 9yr old who sits out back to see the deer. He said he saw multiple bucks including what looked like a 10pt with a doe that came right in front of my enclosed stand. I sometimes question if he's making stories up but two things stood out to make me believe he was telling the truth.

1. He said he saw a 4pt half rack (I saw it this am and hadn't talked to him yet)

2. He said he watched the big 10pt poop. U can't make that one up

• Like 10

Yes indeed you can kill 2 bucks in archery down toward the city in a few areas (don't remember where exactly), only reason I know is because a couple seasons ago a guy posted the same and he got jumped all over here and turns out he was 100% legal in his area. Biz might know the actual areas.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, zag said:

Well I had a small 8pt come by me, I put the cross hairs on him but gave him a pass, that's all I saw from 2pm on. I called home when I left to get the report from my 9yr old who sits out back to see the deer. He said he saw multiple bucks including what looked like a 10pt with a doe that came right in front of my enclosed stand. I sometimes question if he's making stories up but two things stood out to make me believe he was telling the truth.

1. He said he saw a 4pt half rack (I saw it this am and hadn't talked to him yet)

LOL

8 minutes ago, zag said:

You better make sure your kid takes his bow course sooner rather than later. He will be a big help filling the freezer,and probably put you to shame in the process , haha.

What is the age for a kid to bowhunt? 12?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

You better make sure your kid takes his bow course sooner rather than later. He will be a big help filling the freezer,and probably put you to shame in the process , haha.

What is the age for a kid to bowhunt? 12?

Great question I think so. I'm sure he will give me a run for my money

Yes Law.  At least that's what Biz explains. 

Thanks all.......good deal, heck, I can't kill one.

Idk Long Island rules off the top of my head, but Westchester is 2 bucks anytime between 10/1-12/31 because there is no gun season for deer whatsoever and no xbow either. Unit 3S is all of Westchester County.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Saw 8 deer today.  2 bucks. One a spike and one good one this morning but he didn't get in range.  3 does right before dark was so hoping a buck would join them.  Spent 9.5 hours in the stand today. Prob most of the day tomorrow too, but hoping for a good buck to be closer.   Most deer I've even seen in this spot in 7F cause it is so brushy, usually if you see a deer it is less than 50 yards in most spots.  

Action this AM nothing tonight . Farmer reported some really good chasing by a very nice buck .

My friend in Macedon has had action every night and he hunts a lot of them .

Give it a go in the morning , then start a night trick . Feel my spot is right on the edge of exploding .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

So maybe I missed it (not surprising) but can you kill two bucks on Long Island or other places in the state?

From what I'm expecting you can use an either sex on a buck during bow, and then get another buck during gun season with your buck tag.

Edit : oops I'm a Lil late to the party i see.

Edited by TurtleFace
Jibher jabber
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Idk Long Island rules off the top of my head, but Westchester is 2 bucks anytime between 10/1-12/31 because there is no gun season for deer whatsoever and no xbow either. Unit 3S is all of Westchester County.

Long Island is 2 bucks bucks anytime from 10/1-1/31. The reason being is that the archery season is considered the regular season. Also for the month of January, gun season coincides with bow, and you can fill both buck tags with either weapon. 

• Like 1

Wow, those are some awesome bucks you guys harvested today!

Wish I could join in the fun too, but my day was still awesome.  I3 deer, 2 of which came right under my stand plus seeing a fisher score a squirrel breakfast!  The deer moved mostly behind me and traveled in bunches which made for few shot opportunities.  There was one 4 pt and another buck I couldn't fully identify in the fading light, but I'll gladly take a nice doe next time out for my first deer.  

• Like 2

Ton of fisher sighting reports this year compared to previous seasons - cool.
to clarify the 3s (westchester) tags- our "regular" season runs from 10/1-12/31. Since no gun allowed bow is the weapon of choice for our "buck tag" which also makes the either sex tag a buck tag if you so choose which you should since doe tags are unlimited for 3s. Tagging out in westchester is impossible!!!!

• Like 1

Yes that is correct, in 3s from 10/1-12/31 is considered both the bow and regular season all
In one, you can fill any tag at anytime. They will also give you another dmp any time you fill a 3s dmp.

Sore and exhausted (physically and mentally)! Heading out for hunt #45... Other than seeing a small buck harassing does on 10/27, the only other sign of the rut that I've seen are scrapes, which have been around for 2-3 weeks now. I have pics of big bucks moving during daylight hours, but no pics of bucks with does or of fleeting pics indicating chasing. The few bucks I have seen haven't been nose to the ground or anything either. Just browsing or going from point "A" to point "B". Watched a huge 11pt walk past 4 does in a cut cornfield the other night and he didn't even acknowledge them. 

Edited by Cabin Fever

45 minute drive this morning took me an hour because there were so many deer on their feet near the road including one real nice buck. Not sure how many points because it's hard to count them when I drive by in the dark, but they were tall and had mass. I think it was either 8 or 10. Either way nice deer. Today's the day..

I took today off from work. Headed out to 7A. I’ve been getting some bucks on camera but I’m only seeing small ones from the stands. I found some new scrapes last weekend. I’m going to sit in a stand overlooking a few of them. Hoping for a big one to come check them out this morning. Good luck to everyone going out!