Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

43 minutes ago, growalot said:

Shot a buck this morning..not good news. No bolt little blood until he hit the slashings...he looked ike he was about to go down then started moving toward nieghbors. Stopped again head down hen very slowly alked away...I quietly looked for bolt then left...gave it 21/2 hours and went to track up where he stopped he started spraying both sides..up trees this went on until he hit neighbors golden roI tracked just 5 ft in and backed out...went to nieghbors or here now and we talk a long while then I headed in in opposite direction glassing...I found a giant wee r 2 dead doe neigh or not happy she knows who shot it...they literally pitched a tent with stove on her back line..rather ticked about hat as well. I called deer seasch and I think lines off hook...this is a huge golden rod field with tons of trails as 2x's as many beds. ...none I found with blood..hes' dead..I just cant' find him took video of some trail. Oh bubbles in blood just slight quartering to 34 yrd shot..he was limping on opposite leg ..I'm upset..deer search unreachable.

Hang in there Grow, you'll find him!

Good luck grow. I'm sure it'll turn up..  so I found a posted in the car. Put a note on it that they have until Saturday to remove it with the land owners contact info. Stuck it in a Ziploc and zip tied it to the sticks. It takes a lot of calls and not a lot of brains to set up equip on private property

It's the neighbors and she said take the Gator but it is so wet in there and a lot of very woody brush and berm type stuff... The trail was spraying both side right until the golden rod...  I hope deer search calls back..I'm sick over this...speaking of neighbor and her granddaughter both home with pneumonia.....I felt bad having to tell her about that doe...They are like pets to them...the guys behind her put up that camp tent with stove and an out house on her back line...she kept telling me to go look go look...Laugh out loud... No wonder they refuse to go on their land during hunting season. Might head out and take stills 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, growalot said:

It's the neighbors and she said take the Gator but it is so wet in there and a lot of very woody brush and berm type stuff... The trail was spraying both side right until the golden rod...  I hope deer search calls back..I'm sick over this...speaking of neighbor and her granddaughter both home with pneumonia.....I felt bad having to tell her about that doe...They are like pets to them...the guys behind her put up that camp tent with stove and an out house on her back line...she kept telling me to go look go look...Laugh out loud... No wonder they refuse to go on their land during hunting season. Might head out and take stills 

Grow, if you had a good blood trail leading to the golden rod, you still have a good blood trail. It's just "much harder" to see on the dry goldenrod, but look closely and it should be there. Good luck. Sounds like a dead deer.

Edited by grampy

Wow, what a morning in 4F! Buck passed at 50 yards around 7am. 8am monster 8 strolled in to 10 yards and I got busted at full draw, major buck fever, shaking like a leaf. 9am dying down or so I thought. I busted out the coffee and protein bars when this guy came in fast, straight to my scent wick. Stuck my coffee cup in my pocket and popped him. My first bow deer. Super pumped! 0fe80e19ef43756dcf25e644d685de57.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

• Like 40

Ya I was nose to the ground but it just got too tough...I did pick up  1 single drop( wiped off on my finger ) at the edge of a mowed trail That got me on a trail directly across from the one and That's how I found that doe..not her blood here ribs were gone and most of rear end ...I hope a dog can pick it up just too thick and too much water to be ruining the trails..I don't think he could have gone far and It looked like he wanted to bed before he even left our place.. There is also a electric horse fence on the other side of golden rod...I have to say knees kiling me

Ya I was nose to the ground but it just got too tough...I did pick up  1 single drop( wiped off on my finger ) at the edge of a mowed trail That got me on a trail directly across from the one and That's how I found that doe..not her blood here ribs were gone and most of rear end ...I hope a dog can pick it up just too thick and too much water to be ruining the trails..I don't think he could have gone far and It looked like he wanted to bed before he even left our place.. There is also a electric horse fence on the other side of golden rod...I have to say knees kiling me
Grow, grab an old spray bottle and fill it with peroxide. With goldenrod you should get blood smears. Go slow look for discoloration mist it with peroxide and if it blood it will instantly foam up.

Just go slow, and let your eyes rest every so often. It sounds odd but a lot of time when you search and search you can look right at a quarter size drop of blood and not even see it. Just take a break relax regroup and start again.
Good luck.

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Had to go in to warm up and get some grub. Back at it now with a weapon I’ve never used before... the crossbow. It took me a while, but, I’ll accept it’s a real deer hunting weapon. I had no good reason not to use one before, I’m just a creature of habit and my compound always worked. Moved a little south on the property and have a good wind. Good luck to everyone this evening.

Grow, still hoping you find your buck! 

2 hours ago, Bolt action said:

Confirmed that no one else has permission. Landowners suggest taking it down. I'd reach out to the person who placed it, but no contact info. The last thing I want is to have trespassers, or to have someone f with my car while I'm hunting because I removed their stand..

Enjoy your new stand. Leave a note that they can get it but they were trespassing. My guess is they do not come and claim it.

Goodluck, Grow.

As for the doe I took this morning, turns out it was in fact a button. Not a large deer (smallest I've ever shot actually). I took it to the butcher and slapped it down next to a bunch of bucks. That will be some expensive meat per lb, as he charges a flat rate.

Edited by Core
  • Like 2

Chef....  Could have gotten liver .....but I shot him on his right side and he was favoring his left leg when he walked away...Then there are the bubbles I found in some puddles and that blood is leaving both sides of his body at a walk not run. Then you have the time..I took these now 2:15 about and he was shot at around 7:15 this a.m. ...It tends to darken as it dries.. Oh and one spot that was a liter red foamy blob

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Chef....  Could have gotten liver .....but I shot him on his right side and he was favoring his left leg when he walked away...Then there are the bubbles I found in some puddles and that blood is leaving both sides of his body at a walk not run. Then you have the time..I took these now 2:15 about and he was shot at around 7:15 this a.m. ...It tends to darken as it dries..

Oh I didn’t know the time difference that makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, what a morning in 4F! Buck passed at 50 yards around 7am. 8am monster 8 strolled in to 10 yards and I got busted at full draw, major buck fever, shaking like a leaf. 9am dying down or so I thought. I busted out the coffee and protein bars when this guy came in fast, straight to my scent wick. Stuck my coffee cup in my pocket and popped him. My first bow deer. Super pumped! 0fe80e19ef43756dcf25e644d685de57.jpg&key=c5dba60932a9b38989352c5b45363e27433490b6a748036b089b34f2fe3b2f99

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Congratulations!

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Rebel Darling said:

Ground hunt in a locale@Grampy and I scouted. Hoping for a public land swamp buck!

8227eb6b3cadc4701d2257901abdc90e.jpg

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

Great spot! Good luck in there! I can tell you, they are on their feet and moving right now in that area!!!  Saw it with my own eyes yesterday! Pulling for ya my friend!

• Like 1

Well, no call back so I'll head out with peroxide... He was hurting before he ever left the property and going slow...he should have bedded down  There was nothing to push him... I can't get that big old doe out of my head... I'm thinking those guys never bothered looking because they knew she would see them and won't ask.

2 minutes ago, growalot said:

Well, no call back so I'll head out with peroxide... He was hurting before he ever left the property and going slow...he should have bedded down  There was nothing to push him... I can't get that big old doe out of my head... I'm thinking those guys never bothered looking because they knew she would see them and won't ask.

Take your time, that's a dead deer.  He can't be far.

15 minutes ago, growalot said:

Yes Congrats to everyone who's gotten deer today....I was a wonderful Wonderful day to hunt

Thanks guys for all the well wishing...I have some decisions to make here soon....

I would go look for him..   I would take it slow and careful....    progress the blood trail one drop at a time..