Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Had a great hunt with my sweetie in the blind. She got bored middle of the day so we did a little scouting. On foot she bumps a doe, I know the terrain so play the wind and run to cut her of to push her back to my GF. When I get to the city off (wind in my favor o notice second doe with a 8. I had the 8 at 35 but I to much thick stuff. So I start walking and the bump into her directions there was a six as well as the 8. They got to with in 50 yards of her before they blew out. She did great, I new they got close cuz when I got to her she had the look on her face and she wass shaking. Great hunt, I'm blessed to have a wonderful woman.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

His front shoulder was covered and i didn't wanna hit him too far back. Now the doe snorted and they took off. 

You should have shot him in the azz like I did with my Buck.

^_^

Kidding...don't ever shoot a deer in the azz like I did.  <_<

Edited by Papist
  • Haha 1

Hunted the home farm for the VT rifle opener.  Had to pass a buck at 7:15.  He was in the goldenrod and I couldn't make out any forks.  We can't shoot spikes here.  He wasn't very big, but I didn't get a bow deer, so...  Saw a small doe around 8:00.  Sat dark-dark, and that was all I saw besides, ravens, chickadees, squirrels, and partridge.  

It was 11 degrees when I left the house and topped out around 28.  I was nice and warm once the sun got over the trees.  It was good to be out there, but I don't care for the part where I go 8 hours without seeing a deer.  

Congrats to today's winning contestants.  I will be out there dark and early tomorrow.  Good luck all!

Edited by stubborn1VT
typo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Wool socks. Not too thick though. Need a good amount of space inside the boot. Too thick and tight and you’ll freeze. The disposable insole warmers are really good also, they saved me many times.

Thin wool liner sock and a thicker wool sock over is what I do. Also got wool replacement insoles. 

As as far as today's hunt goes...

two seasons, six outings total and finally....

CONFIRMED BUCK SIGHTINGS!!!

2 bucks and some does went parallel past me while I was still hunting south to north. About 40yards to the east. Solid six or eight pointers. Main beams looked good. 

One buck lingered a bit and I was able to get within twenty but there was a row of shrubs between so I tried to cut back down and around to get downwind of him.

maybe I took too long, they were all gone by the time I circled back up. 

Followed some deer trails and had a spike wander down. Presented a pretty easy shot but I passed. I had initially gone out with the intention of shooting whatever presented itself as I'm really getting antsy to get that first deer. But after seeing those solid bucks I just couldn't get myself to settle on a spike. 

Had a couple of does that I just couldn't get in range. They seemed to be moving with conviction. Oddly enough, no bucks following any of the does I saw. 

One doe came crashing over a ridge full speed. Headed straight at me until it finally noticed me at around ten yards and made a sharp left turn. That was pretty entertaining. Not sure what had her so worked up. Hoped for a big buck chasing but nothing. 

Decided to spend the last hour or two sitting over the trails where that first buck group passed. Within five minutes of sitting down against a tree overlooking a rub line, notice a tick crawling up my leg. Light grey and tiny must have been a nymph or whatever. I'm permethrined throughout but this thing was just working its way up the pant leg like nothing's wrong. It just really skeeved me out and said eff that and headed out. 

Crappy end but best hunt I've had since I started. I think I'm finally getting the proper pace down. First time where I didn't inadvertently bump a deer. Well except for the two does on my way out of the woods. But that doesn't count since I was running away from ticks.

• Like 1

You guys getting cold feet probably, as others are saying, have too tight of boots. I didn't even have my cold weather boots on today. Just 800 guide gear cheapies with merino wool socks. Saying that, I still made a dumb mistake this morning. I was running a little late and got in a big hurry to get up the hill and climb a tree. Long story short, I sweated a little too much getting there, and was unable to sit all day as planned. I had to climb down at 10:30 and waste a little over an hour travelling back and forth.

I'm not sure what the temperature was at my hunting spot, but it was 14 when I left Oneonta. It was noisy. All the deer I saw this morning were rooting for acorns, and I could actually hear them crunching them in their mouths. I saw a mix of does, fawns, and young bucks this morning, with no chasing at all. Finally got too darn cold and climbed down to go home and change. My wife thought I had a deer because I never come home early unplanned.

I got back over about 1:00. Bad spot for getting in in the afternoon because you are just so exposed getting to the woods. The good thing is the bedding is mostly on the back side of the saddle. I grabbed my climber and went down the saddle further because I was seeing some deer movement that I couldn't get a good look at that morning.

I wasn't in the tree 20 minutes and started seeing deer. Finally I heard grunting and got to see a couple bucks harassing a small group of does. Apparently, none of them were ready because they both settled in and started eating . Other than that, still not much sign of the does being ready. I saw a total of 23 deer on the day with at least 7 different bucks. I wish i had a kid around that wanted to get a buck because I have had plenty of opportunities. Overall, it was a good day despite my getting down early. A lot of daylight movement, and the chasing can't be far off.

• Like 2

well the only buck to walk the line was not legal, but i called in a monster 10 that just would not take one more step to clear the big poplar tree over his chest ( I think he could hear dad breathing cause I had no trouble hearing him, lol ) I also called in a nice 8 that was working into the open when the doe train started down the hill and he was off to chase live deer lol.

dad's comment after the 10 turned and walked away was "did you see the rack on that thing?"  lol yup,  he said next year we gotta do this earlier before it gets so cold.  Maybe having that buck so close finally got the fire started for dad.  

• Like 4

I’m gonna call this the story of the 4pt.....so for the past two days there has been a 4pt who must be in love with me. I’ve done everything I️ can to get him to leave and he just won’t. I’ve bumped him on the way in every sit for the past few days.... referenced in[mention=7930]jmp5008[/mention] post from earlier today. Every time I️ bump him he’s back within 10 min. Now normally this wouldn’t be a problem but the area I️ hunt has ar’s...... not that I’m looking for 4pts but seriously this guy would have gotten it.... all he’s done is chase does out of my plot, when ever one of my shooters comes by he goes in the thicket and challenges them, they all avoid my shooting lanes to get to him, they run him off and they shooter leaves. 10 min later the little focker is back.. it’s been a fun few days with lots of action but this little geek keeps costing me deer that I️ can shoot. e10b7dcbd8c2296a7b2ced8b3a6ae164.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I’m gonna call this the story of the 4pt.....so for the past two days there has been a 4pt who must be in love with me. I’ve done everything I️ can to get him to leave and he just won’t. I’ve bumped him on the way in every sit for the past few days.... referenced in[mention=7930]jmp5008[/mention] post from earlier today. Every time I️ bump him he’s back within 10 min. Now normally this wouldn’t be a problem but the area I️ hunt has ar’s...... not that I’m looking for 4pts but seriously this guy would have gotten it.... all he’s done is chase does out of my plot, when ever one of my shooters comes by he goes in the thicket and challenges them, they all avoid my shooting lanes to get to him, they run him off and they shooter leaves. 10 min later the little focker is back.. it’s been a fun few days with lots of action but this little geek keeps costing me deer that I️ can shoot. e10b7dcbd8c2296a7b2ced8b3a6ae164.jpg

Send him to me ill have a chat with him. After hes hanging in my shed. Lol

So I hunted behind my house this afternoon. I have just over 3 acres and I have a ladder stand at the very back of my property that faces my house. Then I built a enclosed stand probably 50 -60 yrds closer to the house that faces towards the back of the property. So I'm in the hut and I keep hearing a bleat can going off a few times and it sounds like someone's behind my property hunting no big deal occasionally I'll see someone in the woods behind me. All the sudden I catch orange from my ladder stand so I look thru binos and see someone in camo with a orange backtag holder. Instantly I'm pissed so I climbed out of the hut and walked back to see who it is. As I'm rounding the corner the stands empty and then I see this dick head, literally taking a wiz off to the side, he sees me and nearly jump's and I asked him why he's on my property and hunting from my stand. He quickly says didn't I see you at the wake last night, nope wasn't me where are you supposed to be, he said the guy a few properties down told him there was an old stand he could hunt out of, I told him to go back and tell him it's private property. Freakin Yahoo's, I'll be heading to the neighbors tomorrow that's for sure.
Wow, d bag for sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tonight I had three does, they where loud as heck snapping branches and crunching around,, they came through the thick stuff and I thought ok here's a hot doe with a buck trailing, well one can wish, they all came within 20 yards I decided not to shoot. Later I had I two does in gun range pass,,,  all in all good night lots of action in the last couple days..

Taking the morning off good luck to all whos going out..

Edited by Bowshotmuzzleloader

Quietly walked back at dark and 15 yards to my right 2 deer turn flagging me and head to neighbors sanctuary...then I get to Apple tree clover plot and there are the fawns and doe...So I decide to stalk up to them...I got with in 25 yrds when one fawn caught me and the fawns ran...It took my  full walking to scare off the doe but None of these deer blew. I took out my grunt tube and grunted across the rest of plot past t h e garden...I had pulled cam card where they feed past gully stand..noticed cam battery showed dead..cold got it..pulled card hoping anyways and it was empty..just gt 60 New batteries in the mail the other day...

Edited by growalot

So I commented about the westchester_outdoor bobcat asking where he shot it in westchester - no response. Are we sure that's westchester NY?

I️ don’t see why not. I️ get tons of bobcat trail cam pics in Mahopac, Carmel, yorktown, etc.