Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

23 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

When did they change the age minimum in NY to be able to hunt big game? When I was a kid, it was still 16 and that sucked!

Presume this was in PA for today's Opener.  PA regs allow younger hunters than NY and it's great to see that tradition being handed down.

• Like 2

Well as we walked up to Gavin deer we heard a shot from where I put our other Jr. Hunter and his dad. Just as we finished gutting Gavin deer I got a text and Colton had a 7 point down, he made a great shot for only being 10 years old.

70958d58e95c98a97c90fc9d684f990d.jpg&key=5a4cead022f8e49963ed80c367bbec6099bd0b5e2abbedb7ce36c3537e8aad27

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

Are those Model 788s in both pictures with the boys? They sure do look like mine.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Are those Model 788s in both pictures with the boys? They sure do look like mine.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Yes they are. Mine is topped with a 4 to 16 tasco rangefinder scope. When Gavin shot it Saturday morning he clover leafed 3 shots dead center bullseye at 100 yards off the bench. Coltins is a 788 carbine that was an old encon rifle. It shoots sweet also but minga does it bark with that short barrel.

These 2 kids are bouncing off the walls lol. I can remember being that excited when I killed my first one 40 years ago. Lol. Watching Gavin kill his first buck made my whole season!!!

• Like 10

7 hours ago, reeltime said:

Yes they are. Mine is topped with a 4 to 16 tasco rangefinder scope. When Gavin shot it Saturday morning he clover leafed 3 shots dead center bullseye at 100 yards off the bench. Coltins is a 788 carbine that was an old encon rifle. It shoots sweet also but minga does it bark with that short barrel.

These 2 kids are bouncing off the walls lol. I can remember being that excited when I killed my first one 40 years ago. Lol. Watching Gavin kill his first buck made my whole season!!!

My dad has a 788 carbine in .308. You are right about the bark! Accurate as hell. Will shoot 1" all day long. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, reeltime said:

Well couldn't do live from the stand because in the middle of nowhere there's no cell service.... So I am live from camp now. At 745 am we had a buck chasing 7 doe. Tipped the can a few times and did a couple soft grunts. He turned and walked right towards us but one doe was trying to take him back up the hill. Gavin was shaking but calm he said I can shoot him in the neck. That's all he could see, I hear the safety click off and an immediate shot and the buck dropped in his tracks.
Gavin did great for being 11 and making a great 75 yard shot.
There ain't enough napkins to wipe the smile off his face. Lol.

57d9fa8d980b05007a148196e7756b00.jpg

Congrats to the two young hunters! They will never forget this day. 

Well yesterday was furnace maintenance day, so I took advantage of the whole day to undo the damage this miserable season has done to my house...in other words I cleaned and dusted...Lord even vacuumed the basement floor and ceiling...(stinking spiders) LOL So  now getting ready to hit the woods in rising temps and southern breezes...If nothing else...Mr B keeps saying .."your legs are getting smaller...,your jeans are looking a bit big.... So alls good in the deer woods and I have seen some pretty mornings starting several days...:wink: Good Luck Everyone going out....knock em down....