Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Good luck! I had to take pre wedding photos at Lasdon Park once for my buddies wedding and I was looking for deer lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha- Lasdon is another one of the parks I have access to through the program- not much activity over there- better on the side by the river

played santa yesterday,    my buddy owns a marina in town and he knew i have been going stir crazy being somewhat grounded after surgery so he asked me to do a boat delivery..  took about 2 seconds to say I would do it. LOL

so 11:30 yesterday morning I headed out with a new 17 foot boat headed to Cape Cod. called the customer when I crossed the bridge and got the address to meet as it was a different location than his residence, the boat is a family Christmas gift. got the boat stashed did up all the paperwork climbed back in the truck and drove straight back home arriving at 2am.

made for a long day, return back was a painful ride but the smile and excitement of the customer made it worth it.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Biggamefish. Sweet pic ! I'd like to see a surrounding pic cause it looks like it's in the middle of a lake ! Great find !!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I was in the middle of the Hudson river doing hydrolic cross section!!   They had 4" of ice up there. I still didn't trust it i made sure I was tied off at all times!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, biggamefish said:

I was in the middle of the Hudson river doing hydrolic cross section!!   They had 4" of ice up there. I still didn't trust it i made sure I was tied off at all times!!

15 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Craziest shed location ever....the Hudson horn !

Right! Not many can say they found a shed antler, in the middle of the hudson River! Pretty cool!

All settled in 3s for the evening, hunting an area I do not frequent but the sign is pretty good. My biggest problem is the trees- not a truly straight one here. Oh well at least I have a good excuse lined up if I whiff!!!

43c51fd41c2b86ad7f98bb3ba3bd76a8.jpg

c535271925f95b6f5477684e6c7f35fa.jpg

• Like 5

Had a buck (too far to count but definitely 4 if not more) come through at 3:00 at 100 yards out. Tried the grunt and the can and my streak of not being able to interest a deer in my calls continues! He heard it but was not interested and headed to some thick crap and then nearby pines.

At 3:45 a doe (my actual target for the evening) shows up from the mountain side and is on the correct trail heading my way. At 50 yards she stops as these two squirrels seemingly are auditioning for American Ninja Warrior under my tree. She turns around, raises the white flag and slowly walks away. I swear she was afraid of the squirrels.

• Like 3

Had a buck (too far to count but definitely 4 if not more) come through at 3:00 at 100 yards out. Tried the grunt and the can and my streak of not being able to interest a deer in my calls continues! He heard it but was not interested and headed to some thick crap and then nearby pines.

At 3:45 a doe (my actual target for the evening) shows up from the mountain side and is on the correct trail heading my way. At 50 yards she stops as these two squirrels seemingly are auditioning for American Ninja Warrior under my tree. She turns around, raises the white flag and slowly walks away. I swear she was afraid of the squirrels.

Nice but sounds like you need higher power binocs!

22 hours ago, rachunter said:

I’m standing in the same spot where I shot my first deer with a bow some thirty plus years ago. It was a button buck we played peek-a-boo for awhile before I could. Draw and shoot.good memories for sure.  

Just curious, where about on the east end? A lot has changed out here over the years, but yet some things never change. 

38 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

Just curious, where about on the east end? A lot has changed out here over the years, but yet some things never change. 

I was hunting state land on the south fork other then the undergrowth and a lot of treestands it was pretty much the same.

They need to do something about clearing the undergrowth in a lot of the public spots on Long Island  

I know we should be grateful to have public lands to hunt at all but when you have twenty hunters crammed in a spot where less than half the park is accessible it becomes pretty useless. 

14 minutes ago, uberyan said:

They need to do something about clearing the undergrowth in a lot of the public spots on Long Island  

I know we should be grateful to have public lands to hunt at all but when you have twenty hunters crammed in a spot where less than half the park is accessible it becomes pretty useless. 

They won't ever clear it. Those areas that you are speaking of need to be hunted from a stand. Still hunting won't cut it. 

As far as the other spot that you're referring to, it's a mess. I would suggest moving on to some lesser known spots. That spot has gotten so much attention due to the visibility of big deer there for so many years before it was open. Now everybody wants to hunt there. It's out of control. There is plenty of state and county land out east that doesn't see much pressure. And if still hunting is your thing, you need to find those spots without so much undergrowth. Or buy a stand. 

These are the spots I've been hunting on the island. 

Hither Hills - def most deer I've seen out of the island spots. Some of the does were pretty big. Also the only spot I've had a confirmed buck sighting. Overall a good spot to still hunt. Large enough and spread out enough so you don't have to worry about other hunters even if the parking spots are taken. The con is it's just too damn far. Two hours for me. And they also take part in the January firearms season so god knows what will happen then. 

Wildwood - lots of deer sign. They don't show up until sunset is near. Couple of pockets that are just too thick to go into and that's where they seem to stay during daylight hours. Does seen no buck sightings.

Sarnoff - deer sign but I couldn't find a way in off the main trail. At least not in the area that I was in (spot 8 I think in one of the main lots). Briers are thick and some are up to five feet high. Even if I shot one i would dread the recovery process. 

Brookhaven - looks good for a few hundred yards from the parking spot. Then turns into big pockets of thick briers. Some rubs here and there. Bumped one deer just a few minutes in. Couldn't tell what it was. All the west side spots were taken on a Friday. But last Sunday when I drove by they were all empty so I'm not really sure what the pressure is like. 

Drove by kings park just because it's the closest to me and I was curious. Only one spot and it was taken. Looks tiny and a bit gnarly. Close to houses. 

There are a couple of other spots I'd like to try out but they're all one spot/hunter limit areas. Risky to drive out there just to have it already occupied. 

I looked at the map for Otis pike and some of the other more well known areas. Parking spots looked like they damn near overlap each other. No thanks. 

If you know of any other decent spots I'd love to hear it. Getting kind of worn out this season. 

6 hours ago, uberyan said:

These are the spots I've been hunting on the island. 

Hither Hills - def most deer I've seen out of the island spots. Some of the does were pretty big. Also the only spot I've had a confirmed buck sighting. Overall a good spot to still hunt. Large enough and spread out enough so you don't have to worry about other hunters even if the parking spots are taken. The con is it's just too damn far. Two hours for me. And they also take part in the January firearms season so god knows what will happen then. 

Wildwood - lots of deer sign. They don't show up until sunset is near. Couple of pockets that are just too thick to go into and that's where they seem to stay during daylight hours. Does seen no buck sightings.

Sarnoff - deer sign but I couldn't find a way in off the main trail. At least not in the area that I was in (spot 8 I think in one of the main lots). Briers are thick and some are up to five feet high. Even if I shot one i would dread the recovery process. 

Brookhaven - looks good for a few hundred yards from the parking spot. Then turns into big pockets of thick briers. Some rubs here and there. Bumped one deer just a few minutes in. Couldn't tell what it was. All the west side spots were taken on a Friday. But last Sunday when I drove by they were all empty so I'm not really sure what the pressure is like. 

Drove by kings park just because it's the closest to me and I was curious. Only one spot and it was taken. Looks tiny and a bit gnarly. Close to houses. 

There are a couple of other spots I'd like to try out but they're all one spot/hunter limit areas. Risky to drive out there just to have it already occupied. 

I looked at the map for Otis pike and some of the other more well known areas. Parking spots looked like they damn near overlap each other. No thanks. 

If you know of any other decent spots I'd love to hear it. Getting kind of worn out this season. 

3 months into a 4 month season will wear you out. The best advice that I can give is to learn as many of the lesser known state land spots for next season. I'd start once we get some snow on the ground and scout during the off season. There are many good spots to be had and hunting out of a stand will greatly increase you odds. 

Down in my family's condo in Florida for a bit. I did some fishing yesterday and caught 2 of these guys. Hooked 2 nice speckled trout, but I made some rookie mistakes and lost them at shore. Today is another day to chase these trout.
IMG_6445.thumb.JPG.e831a2774aff9af36666075960b5a580.JPG

Careful, they say the water down there will turn New Yorkers feet black..... Oh wait, it seems your already infected !!

• Like 2