Luna's Tracking Journal 2017

outdoorstom

Such great stories- how pissed are the puppies when they get pulled off a job without a find?
I still remember the look my Brittany threw me the first time I missed a pheasant after he busted it from some tough $hit. I could practically hear him saying,”are you serious? How did you miss that after all my hard work?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, crappyice said:

Such great stories- how pissed are the puppies when they get pulled off a job without a find?
I still remember the look my Brittany threw me the first time I missed a pheasant after he busted it from some tough $hit. I could practically hear him saying,”are you serious? How did you miss that after all my hard work?”

They HATE to quit before finding the deer. Unfortunately, about half of the calls are for non fatal hits and we'll never catch up with them. Having to quit due to a property line issue is also extremely frustrating, especially when you're working a line you're sure your going to find a dead deer at the end of.

12/2

I received a call this afternoon from a hunter's friend asking for some help. He said the hunter had shot a buck at 1:00 this afternoon, but it was unknown what part of the deer had been hit. I was told 4 guys were grid searching as we spoke. I asked to speak with the hunter and was told he was searching quite aways away from where the caller was. I told him to mark last blood, have everyone back out, make sure we had permission from neighboring property owners, text me the address, and to have the hunter call me. I was told what town they were in, so I got Luna loaded up and we started the 55 mile drive.  I was getting close and hadn't heard anything since the initial call, so I called back and kept getting voicemail. I arrived in the area, parked, and sent a text asking for the address. 15 minutes later I got a call from the hunter and he gave me the address. When I arrived, I learned the buck had been shot from 300-350 yards this morning, not afternoon, and it was hit in the front leg. I was told they had followed light blood for 600 yards, then lost it and 2 guys grid searched for 3 hours this morning, then 4 guys for an hour this afternoon. Luna made short work getting us to last blood, but that was the end. We worked the area thoroughly but never got back on it. I'm sure a leg hit deer being pressured with that much searching is in the next county.

• Like 2

That’s ridiculous! After just going through a successful track with a dog today, accurate info is critical- I sent pics of shot site, good blood and flagged any change of direction before dog arrived- as a result I got backstraps and a bunch of yummy venison...sorrry

• Like 3

On 12/2/2017 at 9:48 PM, crappyice said:

That’s ridiculous! After just going through a successful track with a dog today, accurate info is critical- I sent pics of shot site, good blood and flagged any change of direction before dog arrived- as a result I got backstraps and a bunch of yummy venison...sorrry

I wish more people did what you did!  Congrats on recovering your deer!

I got a message today from a hunter we tracked unsuccessfully for during bow season. This morning he shot the 8 pointer we had been looking for. The picture shows we were after a high back hit. I truly appreciate it when hunters let me know if they see the deer again after we track.

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

• Like 15

12/9

My stepson is visiting from New Hampshire and shot a doe tonight with his muzzleloader. He said it ran away with its tail down, but he couldn't find any blood. 

Luna to the rescue! She showed us blood in the field, then which trail the deer took out of the field. 125 yards later and she was chewing on a leg.

20171209_200212.jpg

• Like 14

Love waking up and seeing a new Luna story-that sounded like a relatively easy find(obviously I know nothing of the terrain or details of the circumstance so what do I know)
It did get me wondering if you ever responded to a call that was “too easy?” That would frustrate the hell out of me to drive for however long and find the deer laying at the end of blood trail that a dumb/lazy/entitled hunter(not sure the personality to input for this fictional hunter).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, crappyice said:

Love waking up and seeing a new Luna story-that sounded like a relatively easy find(obviously I know nothing of the terrain or details of the circumstance so what do I know)
It did get me wondering if you ever responded to a call that was “too easy?” That would frustrate the hell out of me to drive for however long and find the deer laying at the end of blood trail that a dumb/lazy/entitled hunter(not sure the personality to input for this fictional hunter).

Yes, this was an easy one. We didn't know that when we started though, so it was a pleasant surprise. As far as your question about getting upset.....

I haven't had any calls because people were too lazy. I do a fair amount of advertising and always stress to back out without grid searching when the blood trail is lost. When people do that, it makes the dog's job so much easier. It's not very often we have a good blood trail to follow.

The season has ended here in the north, so our tracking season is over. We ended up taking 71 tracks this year. Luna found 23 deer and Kunox found 7.  I'm glad everybody enjoyed the stories, I enjoy sharing them.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Good Lord willing, we'll do it again next season.

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, outdoorstom said:

The season has ended here in the north, so our tracking season is over. We ended up taking 71 tracks this year. Luna found 23 deer and Kunox found 7.  I'm glad everybody enjoyed the stories, I enjoy sharing them.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! Good Lord willing, we'll do it again next season.

Great Job this year. Your services made a few sad stories into happy ones. Give those workers a couple extra treats for a great year of service,

• Like 1

Thank you for your hard work and dedication to such a generous service you provide. Thank you also for sharing your experiences. I look forward to this thread every year, and by far is one of my favorites. God bless

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk