Buying deer bait

Buckmaster7600

I just stood in line at field and stream in Latham getting my doe permits while in line for maybe 5 minutes I watched 6 guys buying different kinds of bait. Now I would be willing to bet that all 6 of them aren't going to use it out of state. Now I'm not against hunting bait but when it's illegal and the stuff is flying off the shelves like that apparently not many are following that law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I just stood in line at field and stream in Latham getting my doe permits while in line for maybe 5 minutes I watched 6 guys buying different kinds of bait. Now I would be willing to bet that all 6 of them aren't going to use it out of state. Now I'm not against hunting bait but when it's illegal and the stuff is flying off the shelves like that apparently not many are following that law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, it's ridiculous. My Dad was at the local Dick's Sporting Goods a few weeks ago and saw it being promoted everywhere. He asked a sales associate why they promote it so much if its illegal in NY. The sales associate's response was "it is legal up until 30 days before the season starts. You can use it to get pictures of deer with trail cameras, but not to hunt over. Make sure you remove it all 30 days before opening day." My Dad laughed at the guy and told him he was wrong and to just check the regs. Unbelievable. Illegal baiting really grinds me gear- everyone should be on the same level playing field, especially in the area I hunt where there are no farm field or corn.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yea, it's ridiculous. My Dad was at the local Dick's Sporting Goods a few weeks ago and saw it being promoted everywhere. He asked a sales associate why they promote it so much if its illegal in NY. The sales associate's response was "it is legal up until 30 days before the season starts. You can use it to get pictures of deer with trail cameras, but not to hunt over. Make sure you remove it all 30 days before opening day." My Dad laughed at the guy and told him he was wrong and to just check the regs. Unbelievable. Illegal baiting really grinds me gear- everyone should be on the same level playing field, especially in the area I hunt where there are no farm field or corn.

When bait materials are not being used for illegal hunting, it then becomes another prohibited exercise which is known as "feeding" the deer.

The only justification possible for selling those materials is when they are legally used out-of-state. And like you have mentioned, that probably is not what is really happening at all.

The real answer to your Dad's question is, "Because it is a legal loop-hole, and they make plenty of money from the illegal use of bait materials."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

When bait materials are not being used for illegal hunting, it then becomes another prohibited exercise which is known as "feeding" the deer.

The only justification possible for selling those materials is when they are legally used out-of-state. And like you have mentioned, that probably is not what is really happening at all.

The real answer to your Dad's question is, "Because it is a legal loop-hole, and they make plenty of money from the illegal use of bait materials."

Yup, and they easily make a case to do it near me since I'm under 20 min from the CT zones that allow baiting, and under 45min to NJ/PA where it's legal too

6 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Does that stuff really work? Asking for a friend.

I would be willing to bet a lot of $$ it would work near me. My little throw and grow plots draw deer in every single day. It's that or eat bark, unless acorns are nearby. I'm sure if I used a big Texas style corn feeder, I'd have every deer in the area coming in.

• Like 2

I have a neighbor a few houses down from me who dumps 50lb mountains of rock salt all around his stand.

I doubt anyone suspects a thing about him using it as a deer lure when he rolls out of Walmart with that.

I find so many bait piles with stands hung over them while post season shed hunting it's not even funny. It's become so common around here that it doesn't even phase me anymore. Never had a problem myself killing deer without it so it doesn't bother me as much as it should.

• Like 2

Yup, and they easily make a case to do it near me since I'm under 20 min from the CT zones that allow baiting, and under 45min to NJ/PA where it's legal too
Don't think they care you are 20 min from CT....there is no rule stating that can't sell it in their store, so they do it. Dicks is based out of Pittsburgh so it's all legal there!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Stopped at the local Agway over the weekend. It was doing a brisk business with guys in camo hats loading bags of corn in to their trucks. It's at least an hour and a half drive, from that location to anywhere baiting would be legal. But this has been going on for a long time. Even had guys tell me I'm nuts not to do it, "everyone else is". I usually just smile and say "I'm not everyone else", and "besides, if I made it any easier, it'd take all the darn fun out of hunting".  Then they'll say, "to each their own". And I look em in the eye and say, "yup, to each their own"............  

• Like 4

Some people have no clue how to actually hunt, this is how they get deer every year then brag about how great they are, lol.  I hunted with a guy in Roscoe that did that, said not to shoot the 2 year old bears then shot one because it was eating his bait, last time I hunted in that location, shame it was a really good spot. 

You can only control what you do, I give two $hits what anyone else does.  Is it more ridiculous N.Y. sells it yet it's illegal or that someone uses it to their advantage.  If it were to become legal how many hunters would then buy it.  I often wonder if it's the illegality or gamesmanship that prevents hunters from using it.

Edited by Taylormike

Same old same old just a different year...I supplement my chicken crumbles with corn...5.00 cheaper a bag...I stop buying corn a couple of weeks before season opener and buy bulk bags of cheap bird seed to mix instead  because of this...Tractor supply has a huge pallet in back and they just added another right next to their hunting gear display!..I just shake my head...Oh wooly ,Every year I have to search the swamp for wht. plastic American rock salt bags....sliced down the center...THAT really pizzes me Off...I refuse to tramp through the middle during season to look and they do this ,I think, in gun season..I rarely risk being there then and guns are illegal there..doesn't stop them...Everyone's getting a freaking surprise this opening gun..and I'll have the cross bow with me.

It amazes me that there are so many people who really give a s**t...

I have never baited , unless you consider my food plots baiting... I have talked to many who have baited in places where it is legal, and it is not necessarily a slam dunk, unless you are hunting some arid, natural food exempt places like Texas..

Personally, I am glad that there are not regulations against buying something because somebody MIGHT do something illegal with it....Sort of reminds me of gun control.....

• Like 11

My thinking is I eat what ever someone else might be feeding...I do not trust what could REALLY be in some of these "mineral licks"  and I know what an unusual new food supple can do to deer digestion systems... they have a finely balanced "culture" in their ruminants. They can become seriously ill if allowed certain things and too much of it...

Plus hey it's still the law...BTW to be honest if a guy went in buying pallets at that price..It could have been for live stock OR a pellet stove...that said not knowing what is charged for bulk fuel corn