Buying deer bait

Buckmaster7600

8 minutes ago, Core said:

Well...they are, really aren't they ;)

Yes I suppose they are....However they are legal in NYS, unlike " baiting"....

I'll sit in my enclosed, heated blind  and shoot deer in my planted food plot and have a fine old time...

If anybody has an issue with that, that is THEIR problem, not mine...

I have hunted deer for over 50 years, and killed them while stillhunting, driving, treestand hunting, and  a lot of just standing beside a tree and waiting ( often all day) for a deer to walk by... I no longer care a lot for "hunting" deer, but I still like to shoot them and eat eat them.....I'll sit in my tower blind over my food plot, and anybody else is free to hunt deer in whatever manner they prefer, as long as it is legal..

If anyone has a problem with my preferred style of hunting, they are free to KMA....<<grin>>...

• Like 10

I have no problem with it being sold I also don't really have a problem with people buying and using it. I just found it amusing how blatantly these guys are undoubtedly breaking the law. It reminded me of the teenager beside you at the red light smoking a joint, not hurting anyone but still blatantly breaking the law without much care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Yes I suppose they are....However they are legal in NYS, unlike " baiting"....

I'll sit in my enclosed, heated blind  and shoot deer in my planted food plot and have a fine old time...

If anybody has an issue with that, that is THEIR problem, not mine...

I have hunted deer for over 50 years, and killed them while stillhunting, driving, treestand hunting, and  a lot of just standing beside a tree and waiting ( often all day) for a deer to walk by... I no longer care a lot for "hunting" deer, but I still like to shoot them and eat eat them.....I'll sit in my tower blind over my food plot, and anybody else is free to hunt deer in whatever manner they prefer, as long as it is legal..

If anyone has a problem with my preferred style of hunting, they are free to KMA....<<grin>>...

If I had land I would also build a blind with insulation, tv, heater, and a food plot, for the record.

• Like 3

They are great!....buddy heater and a cot wake up to your phone alarm on your ear buds. Look out the window to snow fall. Enjoy the view while you wait for the alarm to buzz legal time...while your bundled in a sleeping bag and slippers in a cushy armed swivel office chair. After you switched out  tanks on the heater..open your cooler for a bite to eat..and yes a thermos of warm ,n.ot hot but warm coffee..because you have your potty too. Listening to taped books.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Over all not a bad idea , but I'd think few blinds are built  that tight .

You'd need a couple hundred PPM for hours .

But in that small an area , it's really a good move .

Mine is 4' x 8"  inside, Larry....I figure a $15  CO detector wouldn't hurt... Probably not necessary, but WTH...

Besides that, if I happen to get Miranda Lambert in there with me, we'll be breathing pretty hard...At least I will be breathing pretty hard..DAMN  !!  I'm  breathing pretty hard just THINKING about that !!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Mine is 4' x 8"  inside, Larry....I figure a $15  CO detector wouldn't hurt... Probably not necessary, but WTH...

Besides that, if I happen to get Miranda Lambert in there with me, we'll be breathing pretty hard...At least I will be breathing pretty hard..DAMN  !!  I'm  breathing pretty hard just THINKING about that !!

I'll bring my video camera 

• Like 1

Ha my one wood blind as also 4x8. Ill

Ill Take some pics Sunday . Yes it's a smart move, as you know I make my living off folks who think it'll never happen to them .

You should hear the talks I have with my kids landlords when they move in ....

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

I do not know anyone who baits deer in NY state.  If I did, I would call the DEC and report them.  Lots of folks are "brave" enough to complain about it on "anonymous" internet forums, but lack the balls to do anything that might help eliminate the problem.  I would not bait, even if it was legal, because most years I can grow corn cheaper than I can buy it.  To me, that makes baiting deer in NY state both illegal and dumb.   If I lived in Texas, or some other state that lacks water (most of the time) or fertile ground, then baiting would make a lot more sense.  That may be part of the reason that it is legal in those places.   

As far as food plots being the same thing as bait, yes and no.  Yes, they can achieve the same end results - attracting deer so you can kill them easier.  No, because they are legal in NY state (and all other states as far as I know).  Food plot corn is also more effective at holding deer on you ground in the daytime, than corn poured out of a bag, because it also comes with cover - the stalks.  Just another reason why buying bagged corn to bait deer in NY state is dumb.   

Now here is one for you.... in Sullivan county it is legal to feed wild life just not hunt over bait.... what about the guys that feed there all year and pull the bait the day before season..... me on the other hand I plant small
Food plots I'm sure my.l neighbors bait

14 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I do not know anyone who baits deer in NY state.  If I did, I would call the DEC and report them.  Lots of folks are "brave" enough to complain about it on "anonymous" internet forums, but lack the balls to do anything that might help eliminate the problem.  I would not bait, even if it was legal, because most years I can grow corn cheaper than I can buy it.  To me, that makes baiting deer in NY state both illegal and dumb.   If I lived in Texas, or some other state that lacks water (most of the time) or fertile ground, then baiting would make a lot more sense.  That may be part of the reason that it is legal in those places.   

As far as food plots being the same thing as bait, yes and no.  Yes, they can achieve the same end results - attracting deer so you can kill them easier.  No, because they are legal in NY state (and all other states as far as I know).  Food plot corn is also more effective at holding deer on you ground in the daytime, than corn poured out of a bag, because it also comes with cover - the stalks.  Just another reason why buying bagged corn to bait deer in NY state is dumb.   

Have you ever hunted deep dense forest where your chance of seeing a deer are few and far between I think that's why a lot of people do it in the Adirondacks and yes some get caught and hefty fines. But some people hunt hard and never see deer that the difference in hunting northern tier and southern tier. Bigger tracts of woods less deer almost $100 for a license. Southern tier lots of farm land and that comes a lot of deer and dmps none for us up here. Apples work corn works carrots work alphalfa bales work hay molasses pumpkins hell in old forge my old boss had a pic of his kids feeding deer cookies lol

12 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Have you ever hunted deep dense forest where your chance of seeing a deer are few and far between I think that's why a lot of people do it in the Adirondacks and yes some get caught and hefty fines. But some people hunt hard and never see deer that the difference in hunting northern tier and southern tier. Bigger tracts of woods less deer almost $100 for a license. Southern tier lots of farm land and that comes a lot of deer and dmps none for us up here. Apples work corn works carrots work alphalfa bales work hay molasses pumpkins hell in old forge my old boss had a pic of his kids feeding deer cookies lol

How is license $100.00 in NZ compared to SZ ...

• Like 1

I have, and I kill a buck in the ADK's nearly every year. Never had to bait up there either.

4 minutes ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

How is license $100.00 in NZ compared to SZ ...

Corrected I was just saying the price of a super sportsman nothing about northern and southern zone. Just saying a lot of people spend the money on a license and don't kill deer. That's why they bait. I'm dumb when it comes to punctuating sentences my fault

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have, and I kill a buck in the ADK's nearly every year. Never had to bait up there either.

I'm just saying what I see I hunt a grape vineyard nuisance tags and that's how I kill deer. I don't condone it but meat is meat however people want to hunt they'll hunt. 

My one neighbor told me he mixes corn, horse feed, molasses, maple syrup, bird feed and baits deer. 
Personally i think its funny because he said he never sees deer. Well despite your pile of bait the deer can still smell him awful. And all the deer seem to hang out a long ways away from his house across the road by my house, with no bait. 

• Like 1

Guess in another year some can write another post about guys using scent when Ny makes yet another stupid unfounded law.    Its to the point now in this state that people are going to do what they think is best on their properties regardless of Nys stupid laws.  To each their own and if it works for them then good for them. 

• Like 4