Buying deer bait

Buckmaster7600

A few years back I was hunting Letchworth state park and I came across a permanent tree stand, and under that stand there was corn both cobs and husked. No one was in the stand but I did find a gut pile near by. I took GPS concordats and backed out . I then called the park police and gave them the information. Don't know what happen or if they caught someone hunting there.

So many people bait. It will never stop. DEC doesn't have the manpower to do anything about it and they never will. I see guys buying the stuff all the time. Wish we could do it legally here though. It really is a stupid law, so many other states allow it without any problems. I used to dump thousand pound piles or even bigger out in Kansas all the time. And that's pure AG country right there, but we still used big ass corn piles and it works damn good. If I wasn't worried about people like wolc running around calling DEC I'd be dumping truck loads of it in my food plot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

So many people bait. It will never stop. DEC doesn't have the manpower to do anything about it and they never will. I see guys buying the stuff all the time. Wish we could do it legally here though. It really is a stupid law, so many other states allow it without any problems. I used to dump thousand pound piles or even bigger out in Kansas all the time. And that's pure AG country right there, but we still used big ass corn piles and it works damn good. If I wasn't worried about people like wolc running around calling DEC I'd be dumping truck loads of it in my food plot.

Nah..He will just Pray for your soul.

• Like 1

I always keep a front and back window open for a draft...I also go in late and turn it off and close Windows once warm..It's funny how warm that cardboard keeps these blinds..t h e wooden blind is insulated with cardboard in the walls.
I started with cardboard but now use carpet on all 4 sides and the floor, ventilation through the roof, 3/4 gap that is screened in so no critters get in. The carpet definitely blocks any wind, and keeps everything sealed nicely

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

Here's my problem with baiting. I don't want to be forced into baiting myself because a neighbor has changed  patterns and movements of the deer with his feeders and bait. I have no interest in participating in "baiting wars" trying to see who can train the deer the best to compensate for their lack of hunting skills.

I try not to train the deer or condition them to develop patterns that make my hunting easier. I hunt the deer as I find them, and I would not appreciate anyone arranging those patterns against my efforts. I also do not like the mentality behind the idea of trying to draw deer away from a neighboring hunter's property. There seems to be a bit of "good for me and the Hell with you" attitude in that kind of thinking.

The other thing is that we pay the DEC to manage a healthy herd of deer (you can agree with that or not, it doesn't really matter). They have stated that their biologists believe that baiting and feeding pose a health hazard to the herd. I, nor anyone I know, has more credentials than the DEC to credibly make those decisions, so my attitude is that it is the law and needs to be abided by.

The one on the property our son owns has 4dbl hungs, a regular house door. A square kitchen table and 4 chair..sits over 20 ft to the floor and is on 4 large telephone poles.. The guy even gave it it's own underground electric service

What are you talking about? 🤔

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Well they are now making it illegal in those states as well...look how Growing  Deer had to remove all their sites,because of CWD...Then see how they and trophy rock immediately got around that mineral site ban. I wouldn't care if they made it legal BUT with particular guide lines..Garbage in  garbage out sticks in my mind.

"Runnings" has 50 lb bags of corn on sale this weekend, $6.25 for whole $6.75 cracked, that is a good deal, picked up a load of cracked last night and will get another load today-should give me enough to feed my chickens and gamebirds till spring.

The point being everybody that is buying feed is not baiting deer!

Al

Edited by airedale

5 minutes ago, BigVal said:

I've found bait piles by stands before. IDGAF unless it's on our property. Snitches get stitches. Or in this case maybe and arrow or bullet. I'll keep my mouth shut and hunt my way which doesn't require bait. 

Well, I don't pay a lot of attention to "Harry Highschool" cutesy sayings. The fact is that we are too damn cheap to hire enough law enforcement personnel to enforce the NYS Conservation Law. So if we give a damn about poaching or any kind of lawbreakers thumbing their noses at the law, it is up to us to give the DEC a helping hand when we can. We whine about how ineffective the DEC is at enforcing the law and then we come up with these kinds of childish attitudes regarding lawbreakers. They are not Robin Hood, they are simply game thieves and we need to start getting a grown-up attitude about that.

• Like 1

How'd we go from bait piles to poaching?

Not sure why anyone would even care who baits and who doesn't. It's not going to pull deer in from 6 miles away. Not to mention it has little to no effect on bucks during most of hunting season. If your baiting bucks your doing it wrong. You supposed to be baiting does. Which pull in the bucks.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

Well, I don't pay a lot of attention to "Harry Highschool" cutesy sayings. The fact is that we are too damn cheap to hire enough law enforcement personnel to enforce the NYS Conservation Law. So if we give a damn about poaching or any kind of lawbreakers thumbing their noses at the law, it is up to us to give the DEC a helping hand when we can. We whine about how ineffective the DEC is at enforcing the law and then we come up with these kinds of childish attitudes regarding lawbreakers. They are not Robin Hood, they are simply game thieves and we need to start getting a grown-up attitude about that.

Never heard of Harry highschool. Sounds cutesy. I've tried calling in complaints and they never did sh** about it. Not the type to keep doing something and wasting my time when it doesn't do any good. 

I never understood the satisfaction of hunting over a bait pile. It takes away from the fair chase idea in my opinion.

Now if you're hunting out of sheer necessity, in an area where deer are hard to come by and not getting a deer means no meat for a year, then it's understandable. 

That being said, I wouldn't want the state or any government introducing more laws around the sale of bait or whatnot. As others have mentioned, NY already has plenty of stupid laws and regulations.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Salmon_Run said:

It's crap that the stores sell those products in New York...:aggressive:

even if they banned it, people would just buy grain from tractor supply or apples. There's really no way around it. I'm not pro-baiting, but I'm not going to lose my shit about it either. I'd rather they add 30 minutes to the sunset rule more than anything. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Core said:

I don't like lots of regulation, but we all know 99% of those products are being used on private land to illegally attract deer during hunting season. We know that. So does the state and those selling it.

you might be surprised how prevalent it is on public land. When i hunted down south it was more common than on private land because your competition to draw the deer to  your spot was greater, and there was no ability to food plot. 

A few years ago, one of the farmers was cleaning out his corn silo, and dumped 4 front loader buckets full of old corn that he dug out of the bottom, in the back edge of one of his cut corn fields. We stayed away from the area while hunting that year, but threw a camera up on it just to see what would come around. Never once did a mature buck go to that pile during the day. Does, fawns and small bucks, sure, but the big boys only came at night. Baiting isnt all its cracked up to be.

I choose not to do it because its illegal. If it was, I would probably use it to some extent, like mineral blocks and whatnot for camera sites to make taking inventory of what deer are around a bit easier. That being said, I have gotten very good at camera locations for inventory purposes without using it, so I dont really care. I could care less if other people use bait, as long as they arent doing it on the property I hunt.

18 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have no problem with it being sold I also don't really have a problem with people buying and using it. I just found it amusing how blatantly these guys are undoubtedly breaking the law. It reminded me of the teenager beside you at the red light smoking a joint, not hurting anyone but still blatantly breaking the law without much care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i can't recall any dec stories about guys being busted for it. If there was some crackdown (very unlikely, they can't even catch poachers) than maybe. But it's like fireworks in NY. Nobody ever gets busted and nobody seems to care despite the law. Some folks in the DEC get to claim they are preventing CWD and encouraging fair chase and the slob hunters go and bait anyhow. 

I have a lease in Georgia and the land is baited with corn n we also have food plots. I have only see lil ones n does at the corn feeders during legal shooting hours. The thing is everyone baits surrounding our land so it's not the draw you think it is. Food plots the same thing and I've hunted all phases of the rut. Theory is keep the does coming in and you will see bucks. I hunt mostly travel corridors and rarely hunt the stands with feeders, unless I'm looking for a doe for the freezer. My opinion on NY is I know people around me bait, but I don't think their success is any better than mine without it.

Oh they have been busted here one for sure I know of...because the wife was in the feed store talking how her hubby and son would drag a bag of corn out...she was buying corn  on their trail slicing it open and shooting turkey over it....Well I got her down and isle and chatted her up...address and all...Gee a father and son were bust hunting turkey over a pile of corn that spring:whistle::acute:

Now deer season...whole different story...about a waste of time or and I love this ...nearly getting accused of trespassing......tip line my foot. They want dead deer...

Edited by growalot