First Bowkill

Tughill Tamer

Ok so I finally got it done although it didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked.I have bow hunted for 4 years without releasing an arrow and last night seemed to be following that pattern until about 630. I had been sitting since 4 and had seen nor heard anything not even a squirrel. I was battling misquotes for my sanity when I heard a twig snap of my left hand shoulder, it turned out to be a spike about 25 yards of quartering slightly towards me between two brush piles. There was an open window between the 2 brush piles of about 2 foot I thought plenty of room. At the shot the deer ducked and started to turn he then took off and I thought I had missed I could see my lighted nock arrow stuck in the ground. I heard him crash seconds later. I gave it till dark and waited for the rest of my hunting party to go look. I Got Him! It ended up being a crappy shot I'm not sure if it's all because he moved at the shot or if it was me getting jittery or a combination of both I took him right across the throat and the rage hypedermics did there job. He had only went about 60 yrds. Finally I got one with a bow not a textbook shot but I got it! Feeling stoked!! Not a giant but will always be a memorial deer for me.3db4245bb852cd544ab73bcd5006a55a.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 32

FANTASTIC! You broke the ice. The weird thing is that my first bow-killed deer looked exactly the same and I mean exactly, right down to the length of the spikes. In fact I mounted the antlers on a plaque and have it hanging in the center of all my other mounts. And of all of them, that is the one that brings back the most fond memories. It was 7 seasons in the making.

• Like 1

deer do crazy things when you release an arrow.  when bowhunting seemingly slight angles can be more than you realized.  also your point of aim versus point of impact can be farther apart when the deer is quartering slightly to you versus quartering away.  their front half moves a lot more when they pre-load their legs at the shot to lead away. 

it was your first with a bow, which means that's awesome!  don't keep anything having to do with size in the back of your head, you made it happen and that's all that counts.

• Like 2