Should I or shouldn't I

Doc

That is the question. So Now that bear season is coincident with deer seasons, I guess I should be thinking about what I would do if a bear comes wandering along while I am on my deer stand. I really haven't considered it before because we don't really have a lot of them around where I hunt. But, it is always possible.

Frankly, I still haven't got a clue what I would do. Like I say we don't have a lot of them around, so I'm not sure I would like the idea of thinning them out even more. Also, I am not sure what I would do with a bear if I got one. I don't even know if I could stomach bear meat. So I guess a bear-skin rug might be a possibility, but of course that would go with nothing in our house. I'm thinking that a picture would be better than shooting the damn thing.

So, what do you all think? If a bear comes by will you shoot it?

• Like 1

Only if its of very good size. Not hunting for a Trophy, but would love to see the population increase. Never had an interest to hunt Bear, I have plenty of pics of them through the years and seen them but.. Only if a good one passes me while in the "Deer" stand, i would take a shot. 

Bear Meat is good if cooked right.. and my wife can cook it right lol  

• Like 1

Already threw out our bear tags. Just started seeing bear where we hunt this summer. No desire to kill one, about 10% meat yield, no way of getting one out, not going to get it mounted nor a rug made. Would much rather see one and let it live another day   Not against others shooting one, just my own personal opinion

• Like 1

Heres a question..Me I will shoot a big one given the chance...Just one all I want...and I would have no problem eating the meat but most would go to others or..if they will take it sausage at Wilsons...come to think of it I had best check that out...Any whoooo...Back to the question...does the DEC give out any special permits to sell a tagged bears organs or body parts...I ask because...in all the reading I do I thought I passed over something about that... 

I wouldn't shoot a bear here in Livingston Co. I've seen them a few times and try to get cam photos and video when I can. They are beautiful animals and I'm happy to have them in the area. I'd try to get a picture or some video but wouldn't shoot one and I have no desire to go on a hunt for them.

• Like 1

I don't target them specifically, but there's a decent population around us and I have had a few shot opportunities while deer hunting.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I would like to take one at some point. It'll have to be a decision of the moment.

I'm a little leery of using a bow vs. a rifle though.

I had Bear Meat when I lived in Northern Maine, it was pretty good, The only bear I ever shot was out of self defense, back around 1999 we had a very late spring and the bears came out of hibernation and they were hungry and one must have smelled food in my house and tried to break in, a 12 gauge slug to the head at 10 yards changed his mind real quick.

I find it interesting that most would pass. 

I don't bow hunt any longer, but that might make me think twice.  If I saw a bruiser (and with my .308 in hand), I would give it serious consideration - along with how am I getting it out of the woods! 

I would approach it as a once in a lifetime decision.  If it's "more than just your average bear" (intentional play on words there Boo Boo) about which I can tell stories, yea I think so.  Otherwise, I'd probably sit back, take some photos and enjoy the experience (that's the part non-hunters don't understand about us).

Edited by clayshooter25
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

That is the question. So Now that bear season is coincident with deer seasons, I guess I should be thinking about what I would do if a bear comes wandering along while I am on my deer stand. I really haven't considered it before because we don't really have a lot of them around where I hunt. But, it is always possible.

Frankly, I still haven't got a clue what I would do. Like I say we don't have a lot of them around, so I'm not sure I would like the idea of thinning them out even more. Also, I am not sure what I would do with a bear if I got one. I don't even know if I could stomach bear meat. So I guess a bear-skin rug might be a possibility, but of course that would go with nothing in our house. I'm thinking that a picture would be better than shooting the damn thing.

So, what do you all think? If a bear comes by will you shoot it?

Check for cubs. No cubs and the bear is an adult I'm shooting with compound, xbow, or gun. Then calling taxidermist. No interest in the meat, who wants it?

well thank you for posting this . if you plan and prepare  i would say go for it what i mean by that is what are you going to do when you get one. a bear usually weighs 2-300  lbs  and is no joke to drag out and the cost to process it [cutting it up ] and you are looking a mineium  of$1500 for a rug thats a conservative estimate they go by the square inch. getting back to the meat its not venison NOBODY will eat it i had it its not bad but be very careful cooking it they carry the trichinosis bug and it must be cooked very well. and as far as the hide anyone who dragged a deer know what happens to the hide. and man do they stink you smell one before you see it sometimes. after you pull the trigger the work begins

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

.........I'm a little leery of using a bow vs. a rifle though.

That thought kind of crossed my mind too. I am a ground stand hunter, and aggravating a short tempered big meat eater that would be on me in a second or two with a weapon that has zero stopping power does kind of make me think twice about what kind of weapon I would consider poking at him with.....lol.