Lic info

Huntscreek

I bought my bow tag at clerks office and something seems wrong, they are closed now. So with tomorrow being the opener I need some advice. Ok I have only the MZ/Bow antlerless tag.The lady said yes that's it, but when I got home there it is not a buck tag. due to an injury I have not bought a bow tag in a few years, if you can help me out Thanks

You should have an either/or tag, and only get the antlerless tag (in addition to the either/or if you buy both the archery and ML licence.   I would try stopping at a  licence - selling place today and get the correct tag.   They might just let you keep the antlerless tag, without paying for it, to cover the clerk's mistake.   That would make the extra stop worthwhile as you could legally kill both an antlerless and an antlered deer (or two antlerless) for the price of one.    The clerk's office is probably closed for the weekend, and another place (like Walmart) might just think you are looking to score and "extra tag" and not give you one.  If that happens, I would  use your antleless tag as an either/or if you shoot a Buck on Sunday and explain your situation to the DEC if they catch you with the improper tag.   I would then head over to the clerk's office on Monday and get them to correct their mistake and put the proper tag on the buck before taking it to a processer or taxidermist.   The DEC does not have the manpower to set much foot in the woods, but have plenty to enforce things at the processors.  Also, the processers usually check for proper tags before starting their work.  If you cut up your own and don't take it to a taxidermist, then you have nothing to worry about.  The truth will always set you free.     

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Disregard wolc's suggestion to use an antlerless as an either or. You do that and shoot an antlered buck. Your asshole will be reamed harder than Jared Fogels. Just shoot an antlerless deer with that tag and next day you can go see the clerk. Otherwise you can try and get a reprint somewhere but by no means should you ever use an antlerless tag on an antlered buck. The Encon cops will tear you a new one and get you for poaching and likely lose your licenses

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

As a working man, I certainly would not hold off from shooting an antlered buck on opening Sunday because a clerk made a mistake.  Apparently the Jerkman  would.  The good news is that the OP will have the final say regardless of what the "expert" advisors suggest.  Always look at the motives of those who give you advice.  What is in it for them ?

Edited by wolc123
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, burmjohn said:

That's bad advise, you are telling the guy to break the law. You going to pay his legal fees if he gets busted ?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My advise was that he first attempt to get the proper tag from a place that was open today.  If one attempt at that fails, then I would advise using the tag that the clerk gave him if he kills a buck on opening day.  He would not be "breaking the law" by using that tag on an antlered buck because  NY state law says that if he paid for a archery tag, he can kill and antlered or an antlerless deer.  He is not responsible for a clerk hitting the wrong button on a computer if that is really what happened.  The whole thing sounds kind of fishy to me though.  Why have we not heard of this happening to anyone else ?   It is more likely that he really does have an either/or tag and maybe the print is too small or the ink is too faded to read that part.   Could there really be a glitch in the program that would allow just one person to get an antlerless only tag before he got an either/or ?   

12 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Smacking my head. He cannot shoot a buck regardless of the clerk making an error. Would never in a million years hold up  

Breaking the law , he'll be sinning :mda:

I still think he has the right tag but can not read the fine print.  I will continue to believe that until he scans his tag and posts it here for all of us to look at.  Why has no one else had this problem ?   If he is the only one, then he should get some kind of reward from the DEC for discovering a computer glitch (maybe an extra buck tag).   It is interesting that now there are three of you who would sacrifice shooting a buck on opening day because a clerk made an error.  Personally, I would take my chances and take it all the way up the the Supreme court if necessary.   With the conservative edge there now thanks to Trump, I know that justice will be done.    

Edited by wolc123