Public Land Hunting in WMU 6K

wildcat junkie

No more doe tags at all for 6A or even 6C unless you own land in 6C.. 

6K was the nearest WMU with doe tags that has ample public land. My son & I applied there for our 1st choice. My son got drawn.

Any suggestions on public land that doesn't get extreme pressure that hold a decent deer density? I'm 67 YO and just getting back into shape 2 total knee replacements and 3 foot surgeries over the last 5 years. I can walk pretty good distances on moderate terrain, but extremely rigged terrain isn't a viable option. My son is 28 YO, in great shape and doesn't smoke so we can exploit multiple access points as long as swamps, steep ravines and such would make overland foot travel impossible.

Where are you located? 6 K is a big area. 

Go here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45478.html  and go to layers and check the WMU box to see the area. I live on the southern end and will tell you that there's little if any real pressure on the state land. 

Also, 8 of those Marines killed in Lebanon were my friends that I served with stateside. 

Edited by upstate

10 hours ago, upstate said:

Where are you located? 6 K is a big area. 

Go here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45478.html  and go to layers and check the WMU box to see the area. I live on the southern end and will tell you that there's little if any real pressure on the state land. 

Also, 8 of those Marines killed in Lebanon were my friends that I served with stateside. 

I'm located quite a ways to the ENE. I would be coming down either SR3 or US 11 and I-81 so the north or Western end would be most convenient. I have been perusing maps and the DEC legal description and the odd shape of 6K is quite a challenge to follow on a topo map. If I could find a suitable spot, I would be open to bringing my 24' travel trailer to make a weekend out of it.

Sorry to here about your friends. Not allowing the guards to have their weapons loaded was a very poor decision IMO and just another example of political concerns having more weight than the safety or our troops in areas that are unstable.