Hunting near bedding areas

Jdubs

Got to thinking about this after a buddy of mine set up his ground blind by some wild apple trees where the deer feed.  The problem is that they could practically roll out of their beds and munch on the apples.  The area is covered in thickets and there isn't a decent tree to hang a stand unless you stay back in the mast.  So...

How would you guys bow/xbow hunt something like that?  Get in tight with a blind or stay back and get in a tree?  Access is tricky the closer you try to get.

How's the normal wind for into this scenario? I have almost the same situation and can't hunt it. Thickets , apple trees , nice runs but can't sit on ground nor get in a suitable tree. Had a cam there last year and picked up pics at all times of the day. Every year I think on how to hunt it and every year I come up empty. 

2 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

How's the normal wind for into this scenario? I have almost the same situation and can't hunt it. Thickets , apple trees , nice runs but can't sit on ground nor get in a suitable tree. Had a cam there last year and picked up pics at all times of the day. Every year I think on how to hunt it and every year I come up empty. 

Wind is usually favorable, coming from behind bedding area, into apple trees on edge and then into the mast.  Sometimes we'll have crosswinds.  Sneaking in is the toughest part of the deal especially considering that the deer have multiple entry/exit points and there crunchy leaves and twigs covering the ground.

5 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

I would hunt on the main entry or exit point on one of the mast trees in a stand.  You get too close and you might blow the area.  As the season goes on you can adjust the stand location if needed and penetrate more if that does not work .  

I am leaning towards this strategy.  I can hang n hunt anywhere and prefer to be in a tree.  

Ok, actually I "prefer" to harvest a deer or two and would adopt the best strategy to make that happen! :D

Edited by Jdubs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

I would hunt on the main entry or exit point on one of the mast trees in a stand.  You get too close and you might blow the area.  As the season goes on you can adjust the stand location if needed and penetrate more if that does not work .  

This.

I wouldn't hammer up that thicket without a gun on your shoulder and a lethal ability to jump shoot deer.

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 1

Do you know where the beds are and when he is using them?

If its too hard to get in quiet, maybe a good spot for a morning hunt. Get there before he does and hopefully he sneaks in after sunrise to offer you a shot. You can't walk in on a deer trail and if he's early (before you can shoot) you are SOL. 

If you know what winds the bedding is used for you can set up to get a shot when he enters from downwind. Obviously you have to make sure he can't smell you. 

Another approach is to hunt each exit, in the evening, based on wind. If he sticks around your odds should go up with each sit.

Is there other bedding on the property that is easier to hunt? You could push him out intentionally and set up on his next bed.

On 9/30/2017 at 10:59 PM, ckprax said:

Do you know where the beds are and when he is using them?

If its too hard to get in quiet, maybe a good spot for a morning hunt. Get there before he does and hopefully he sneaks in after sunrise to offer you a shot. You can't walk in on a deer trail and if he's early (before you can shoot) you are SOL. 

If you know what winds the bedding is used for you can set up to get a shot when he enters from downwind. Obviously you have to make sure he can't smell you. 

Another approach is to hunt each exit, in the evening, based on wind. If he sticks around your odds should go up with each sit.

Is there other bedding on the property that is easier to hunt? You could push him out intentionally and set up on his next bed.

In short, the bedding areas are fairly thick n nasty, located on the outskirts of home properties and usually adjacent to old apple trees.

Having said that, my buddy saw 7 deer yesterday morning from his blind with the closest at 7 yards.  None of his target bucks showed, but he never spooked them.:taunt: