Stones 2017 journal

stoneam2006

Have you ever caught a skunk in a Duke dog-proof coon trap ?   I caught my first this morning in one set around my corn plots.  Unfortunately, it was way at the end of the line and I had to drive all the way back to get my shotgun and a high brass #6.  From 15 yards upwind, one of those to the head takes them out without spray every time.   I definitely would not trust my .22 for that.   Another first today, was a young rabbit in a nearby box trap.  I do not like messing with them, until the frost kills off the bugs and I am not sure if they can be legally trapped yet, so it was set free.   I only trap the weekends now, and no coons this morning or last weekend, but (7) the week prior to Labor day along with (3) possums.  The DEC allows trapping of nuisance coons prior to regular season but asks that they be burried or burned.  After the season opens, I just throw them out in the field for the buzzards.  Do you think coon hides will be worth anything this year?   I would estimate that every one I kill saves me at least 10 bushels of corn.      

Have you ever caught a skunk in a Duke dog-proof coon trap ?   I caught my first this morning in one set around my corn plots.  Unfortunately, it was way at the end of the line and I had to drive all the way back to get my shotgun and a high brass #6.  From 15 yards upwind, one of those to the head takes them out without spray every time.   I definitely would not trust my .22 for that.   Another first today, was a young rabbit in a nearby box trap.  I do not like messing with them, until the frost kills off the bugs and I am not sure if they can be legally trapped yet, so it was set free.   I only trap the weekends now, and no coons this morning or last weekend, but (7) the week prior to Labor day along with (3) possums.  The DEC allows trapping of nuisance coons prior to regular season but asks that they be burried or burned.  After the season opens, I just throw them out in the field for the buzzards.  Do you think coon hides will be worth anything this year?   I would estimate that every one I kill saves me at least 10 bushels of corn.      
No I have never even used dog proofs this will be first year I bought 1 just to mess with and no fur will be worth anything and coons will be below that lol. I

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys crazy morning so far....

I hunt out of a climber for archery season have been for a few years now.....well this am I got cocky and tried to adjust the bottom if the stand while I was in it....really bad choice ended up dripping the pin and bottom of stand fell out from under me. Luckily I keep some trapping wire in my pack and after a hr and half of trying to get stand back together I finally got a piece if wire thru the cable and slowly climb down. About 5 foot from the ground the wire broke and I jumped down....dumb choice and luckily I didn't get hurt.

Always where your harness and don't get cocky in a stand.

Good luck to you....I will waiting until the week before gun season to give them a chance to prime and hopefully have a deer tag filled by then.
Yea I'm nuisance trapping a few local farms for friends hope to get in grab some coyote fox and coon before the weather gets crappy then I can run my long line and work in some water

What do you think coons will be fetching this year ?  I got a decent sized one this morning in a Duke dog-proof baited with cat food.   

He was dispatched with a .22 to the head and is currently "resting" on the creekbank, about 100 yards behind our house.   I am sure the buzzards will find him within the hour.   There is still time to save the hide, which looks reasonably prime.   At this point in the season, a dead coon is worth about $ 17 to me in corn savings.  Those taken prior to Labor day are worth double that in corn savings but the furs are not as good.   One nice thing about taking them after trapping season opens is that they can just be thrown out in the field for the buzzards, which saves time compared to burrying the ones taken earlier.      

39 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Probably 4 bucks a pelt for anything less than 3xl if your lucky. But I will tell you mine was very very nice and not blue enough to worry about any more. I was impressed with coat for this time of year.

Man that is sad.  I remember getting more than $ 40 for avg. sized raw coon pelts, back when I was in high school.  A few of those, and a bunch of $ 8- $ 12 muskrats easily paid for my first boat and outboard motor with plenty to spare.   Also, you could buy a lot more for $ 40 back then.   A coon today will not even buy you a whopper at Burger king, certainly not the lobster and filet minion that it would get you back then.   It is no wonder that coon populations are out of control and rabies and distemper runs rampant.   Oh well, the buzzards got to eat too I suppose.    This will be the last weekend trapping for me, as I will use all my spare time to hunt deer with the crossbow, starting next Saturday.   There is more corn than ever left for them here this year, thanks in large part to the (8) coons, (3) possums and (1) skunk that have met with an early departure.      

I'm no expert but the first pic looks like it could use a little more backing and or angle the hole more   Just and observation

Guard hairs on that coon look pretty good as for the warm temps we've been having  

Good luck out there Stone and catch some of those coyotes

I was shocked how good his fur is....wonder if that means what kind of winter we are going to uave....same thing others are seeing too

That pic is decivingthere's a 3 foot bank behind trap. Would defiantly need more if wasn't there