35 Remington

Buckmaster7600

Anyone else love the 35rem as I do? In my opinion it is one of the greatest forgotten about cartridge. Why the 30-30 is as popular as it is and the 35rem is as rare as it is I will never know. I think a big part of it is that for the last 50 years the main gun chambered in it was the 336 Marlin and although I own 7 of them I have never been fond of the Marlin lever actions. The 30-30 does nothing that the 35rem won't, and most everything the 35 does better. Today as I was working up a load for my 760 pump chambered in 35 rem I was thinking about why I liked it so much. My favorite load is a 200gn pointed soft point at about 2300fps. Every deer I have shot with this load has been killed very quickly with minimal meat damage. It just kills deer with minimal recoil in a very efficient way.

Anyone else still use a 35 rem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buddy , Red Neck Joe , who was born and raised , " up North " uses his Dad's . If I recall factory ammo was hard to find but he got a couple boxes to,hold him over .I believe his is a pump not sure of brand or anything. 

• Like 1

I have a 336 in .35 Rem that was made in 1964.  It has a Leupold 2x on it and I use it for bear more than deer.  But it is carried when I hunt in areas where shots will be less than 100 yards.  I have taken a few deer with it and it does the job very well.  It is very accurate and has a great trigger, which they all did prior to the advent of the "Lawyer Triggers" that followed.  It's one of the rifles I own I would never consider selling.  I reload all sorts of rounds for it, even some using 158 grain hollow points designed for a .357 Magnum with velocity lowered to about 1700 fps.  It has real nice walnut too.  Just very fond of this oldie.

• Like 1

I know we have talked about this in the past, and it is likely more the fault of the guns, but three of my good friends have lost real big bucks because their T/C contenders, chambered in 35 Rem did not fire.   That will always cause me some concern of buying a rifle in that caliber.   Also, I do not reload and would not expect to see better price or availability of the .35 Remington than the 30/30.   I think that is the biggest strike against the .35 for most folks.   I do understand the performance edge on deer and bear however (if it goes off).  

I have yet to fire my 30/30 at a deer and if it does not perform up to my expectations when and if I do, then I would definitely consider a .35 rem , and probably in a 336 Marlin.  It seems that Remington finally has their act together on those, based on the fit and finish of the new 30/30 that I picked up a few months ago.    Hopefully, I can break it in on the second weekend of rifle season up in the Adirondacks this fall.  I am hoping for some rainy/snowy and windy weather, like we had last year on opening weekend, so I can try it out still-hunting.  

My only other concern with the .35, is recoil compared to the 30/30.  Is it significantly more ?   I can notice a reduction from the 150 gr 30/30 compared to the 170 gr, so I would think the heavier 35 would hammer the shoulder a bit more.  It would not be a big deal for me, but my daughter may have a problem with it if she decides to take it up in the next several few years.  I may hang onto the 30/30 for that reason, and pick up another 336 Marlin in 35 Rem and put a scope on that one.    

The tendency of .35 Rem Contenders to misfire was particular to that firearm, not the cartridge..

It was never an issue with other rifles firing the .35 Rem...

For some reason, American hunters have never been enamoured with .35 cal. cartridges...

The .35 Whelen and the .358 Win are other examples of excellent cartridges that never caught on big in the US...

• Like 3

I know we have talked about this in the past, and it is likely more the fault of the guns, but three of my good friends have lost real big bucks because their T/C contenders, chambered in 35 Rem did not fire.   That will always cause me some concern of buying a rifle in that caliber.   Also, I do not reload and would not expect to see better price or availability of the .35 Remington than the 30/30.   I think that is the biggest strike against the .35 for most folks.   I do understand the performance edge on deer and bear however (if it goes off).  
I have yet to fire my 30/30 at a deer and if it does not perform up to my expectations when and if I do, then I would definitely consider a .35 rem , and probably in a 336 Marlin.  It seems that Remington finally has their act together on those, based on the fit and finish of the new 30/30 that I picked up a few months ago.    Hopefully, I can break it in on the second weekend of rifle season up in the Adirondacks this fall.  I am hoping for some rainy/snowy and windy weather, like we had last year on opening weekend, so I can try it out still-hunting.  
My only other concern with the .35, is recoil compared to the 30/30.  Is it significantly more ?   I can notice a reduction from the 150 gr 30/30 compared to the 170 gr, so I would think the heavier 35 would hammer the shoulder a bit more.  It would not be a big deal for me, but my daughter may have a problem with it if she decides to take it up in the next several few years.  I may hang onto the 30/30 for that reason, and pick up another 336 Marlin in 35 Rem and put a scope on that one.    

There is more recoil but not a lot. The 3 post Remington Marlins I have acquired have all had issues, 2 336's and a 1895 and I won't touch another one. The problem with your friends wasn't the cartridge it's the gun, failure to fires are common in single shots because it's a rimless case that have trouble head spacing ba use the bolt does not have hold of the casing.

I hope for my next gun purchase to be a 35 rem pump if i can find one for a decent price. It seems like they're going for around $1000 on gunbroker when you can find one. I feel like the 35 calibers are perfect fits for the 7600/760s and am looking forward to breaking in my new 7600 carbine this upcoming season. I would like to make a 358 win some day also. 

12 hours ago, Pygmy said:

The tendency of .35 Rem Contenders to misfire was particular to that firearm, not the cartridge..

It was never an issue with other rifles firing the .35 Rem...

For some reason, American hunters have never been enamoured with .35 cal. cartridges...

The .35 Whelen and the .358 Win are other examples of excellent cartridges that never caught on big in the US...

I've never had a misfire in my Marlin 336 in .35 Rem.  The .35 caliber rounds were never popular in America, but they are becoming popular now.

I don't know why people think it's hard to find ammo for a .35 Rem.  Any ammo store can get it fast if they don't have it in stock and you ask them to get some.  Every little gun shop around here in the Catskills has some.  Dick's has it too.  Online sellers of ammo all have it.  Stock up on some.  How often are you going to shoot it?  Mine maybe has 10 rounds put through it in a year, and that's in a busy year.  I must have 200 rounds of factory ammo for it and about 100 reloads with lots of empty brass waiting.

I don't know why people think it's hard to find ammo for a .35 Rem.  Any ammo store can get it fast if they don't have it in stock and you ask them to get some.  Every little gun shop around here in the Catskills has some.  Dick's has it too.  Online sellers of ammo all have it.  Stock up on some.  How often are you going to shoot it?  Mine maybe has 10 rounds put through it in a year, and that's in a busy year.  I must have 200 rounds of factory ammo for it and about 100 reloads with lots of empty brass waiting.

I agree, a few years ago Remington didn't make any for their annual run and supply was down but that was a while ago and I haven't seen a shortage since. I reload for mine and shoot them all a bunch. He'll earlier this year I was squirrel hunting with my model 14 with a 105gn cast bullet loaded to 1000fps. The 35cal guns are super versatile to the reloader but for the average guy that shoots 5-10 shots a year with their rifle I wouldn't be afraid of owning a 35 due to ammo availability.

• Like 2