Opening Day Grouse Success, the hard way.

Rattler

22 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Havent seen a grouse since spring of 2009. Nice going! I hear they're delicious. 

Seems to be a lot around my area this year.  The crop was full of "Hawthorn apples", or Haws, too.  

IMHO, the Ruffed Grouse is the tastiest game bird going.

• Like 2

I seriously want a single shot shotgun in my safe! I have my "dream guns", and then I have guns that are actually within' my goals. But, I also want to be able to use it for deer, so a 20GA single shot with a fixed Improved Cylinder barrel would do nicely. A bit much for grouse, but using non lead shot would make it more tolerable and not blow them into feathers yes?

How ya gonna cook that one up if I may ask?

Edited by ....rob

A 20 gauge isn't too much for Grouse.  Within a few weeks I switch to a 12 gauge O/U with Imp Cyl/Mod chokes and # 7 1/2 shot.  Low brass shells are fine and they never blow the bird up.

This bird will be oven roasted as soon as I get about 3 more to go in with it.

BTW, if you ever bite into a steel pellet, you will never want to use it on game again.  LOL!

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 4

I seriously want a single shot shotgun in my safe! I have my "dream guns", and then I have guns that are actually within' my goals. But, I also want to be able to use it for deer, so a 20GA single shot with a fixed Improved Cylinder barrel would do nicely. A bit much for grouse, but using non lead shot would make it more tolerable and not blow them into feathers yes?
 How ya gonna cook that one up if I may ask?

20ga is about a perfect grouse getter. I killed my first grouse with a H&R single 20. Don't know why you would want to use steel shot? They hurt when you bite into one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, TACC said:

That's funny Steve

Yeah but it doesn't look like he is going to let the cat out of the bag......big tease  8)

Don't matter I guess:

Spruce Grouse Fact Sheet

Spruce Grouse
Falcipennis canadensis

New York Status: Endangered

Edited by Steve D

Oops...sorry guys. I figured folks remembered I was living now up here on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska. I'll be back in NY though for couple months, to spend with my son, and daughter, son in law, and celebrate my grandson's first birthday, and the holidays. I'll also get to my property in 7M to do a little deer hunting. :  ) 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2017 at 8:11 PM, Steve D said:

Yeah but it doesn't look like he is going to let the cat out of the bag......big tease  8)

Don't matter I guess:

Spruce Grouse Fact Sheet

Spruce Grouse
Falcipennis canadensis

New York Status: Endangered

I find this NY status to be quite humorous.  Spruce Grouse are quite plentiful in states where they have habitat they like.  The species itself isn't "endangered", because it thrives in the right environs in many states.  It's just rare in NY state.  It's status in NY could be more accurately labeled as "unusual".

Conservatives could be considered "endangered" in NY state, especially since Cuomo has said they don't belong here.  Sounds like open season with no limit to me. ;)

3 hours ago, Rattler said:

It's just rare in NY state.  It's status in NY could be more accurately labeled as "unusual

I can't honestly say I have ever seen one or could identify one if I fell over it. To me a grouse was always a grouse and fair game. As fast as they take off & fly how would one identify one from the other. Again according to the DEC they are only in a limited area.

fsspgrma.gif

12 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I can't honestly say I have ever seen one or could identify one if I fell over it. To me a grouse was always a grouse and fair game. As fast as they take off & fly how would one identify one from the other. Again according to the DEC they are only in a limited area.

fsspgrma.gif

They are black with red on the head. Big difference. Lol