Do You Support Crossbow Full Inclusion into the NY Archery Season?

tughillmcd

7 hours ago, Doc said:

I know you don't give a damn what gun hunters say (or anyone else). It doesn't advance your argument to allow the discussion to go anywhere beyond your nose and the carefully laid out scenarios and limitations that you think you have control over. But there are people out there that welcome your little fantasies about shoving more advanced weapons into bow season to help the "wounding loss" abuses of the evil vertical bow. Those gun hunters that you are desperately trying to exclude from the discussion have been saying exactly the same thing for years and truly welcome your words.

And by the way I never suggested that you were for guns in bowseason, but for some reason you have slapped on the blinders and choose to hide from any suggestion that others may not pay any attention to your little rules and limitations. I have a news flash for you.... You don't get to set the rules. In spite of what you say, the future is not limited to what bowhunters or crossbow hunters want. We really don't get to exclude gun hunters from the discussion like you would like to do.There really are gun hunters who want a piece of the bow season, and they are more than happy to use the very same arguments that you put forth for your beloved crossbows. So don't be getting all bent out of shape when I and others constantly remind you of a little bit of reality.

I dont know what your malfunction is Doc, but I will say it again, I am not looking to make any rules or have any type of control over anything. The things that I speak of on here are my OPINIONS. Nothing more, nothing less. This is just another example of you twisting things that someone is saying. Go procreate with yourself.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, UWShunter said:

IMHO, if you are disabled and/or suffer from a significant shoulder injury, (i.e. torn rotator cuff, torn labrum), and have valid proof of said medical disability and/or over the age of 65, I don't have any issue with X-bow.

For those 65 and older, X-bow keeps them in the game.

However, in the event you don't meet the above criteria, X-Bow hunters should be grateful for the rules as presently drafted.

X-bow is without question easier than Bow & if you can shoot a rifle proficiently, X-bow is not a challenge.

To become proficient at bow demands time, practice, skill & patience.

One of the major reasons why any bow kill is something to be very proud of.

Anyone can pull a trigger.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, really? 

56 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Speaking only to my own situation, I don't want to spend another $1k+ on yet another hunting tool when the one I already have (an xbow) is perfectly capable of harvesting a deer.  Bow/xbow are both archery tools and the skills needed to successfully put yourself in position to make a kill shot (5-50 yards) are essentially the same.  The main difference I can think of would be the hunter forced to hold draw whereas the xbow hunter only holds a sight picture.  Is that worth keeping two separate seasons?  To me, no.

Why did you buy a crossbow when a vertical gives you 5+ weeks to hunt?

Also, entry compounds from good brands like PSE are plenty lethal. There's no need whatsoever to spend $1k on a bow. You can spend $3k on a rifle but nobody would ever pretend that a $300 one isn't plenty capable of harvesting game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I think it will be a good night when I can sit there an think about how I want to hunt the next day, making the decision between my crossbow, compound or recurve.  Kind of like I do with my guns. Rifles, shotguns, ML or pistols.  Which ever one I pick won't have an impact on anyone other than me. 

Give them an inch they will take a yard. Once xbows are fully allowed during archery season from all the whining, gun hunters and ML hunters will want their piece of the season. Then you can pick what ever weapon you want cause it won't be archery season any longer. Pretty sad. To me, xgun is not archery equipment and should not be expanded. I hunt with an unscoped handgun which has less range than the xgun. Therefore handgun hunters should have the same privilege as the xgun. pulling a trigger is pulling a trigger, right.    

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Chevy said:

Give them an inch they will take a yard. Once xbows are fully allowed during archery season from all the whining, gun hunters and ML hunters will want their piece of the season. Then you can pick what ever weapon you want cause it won't be archery season any longer. Pretty sad. To me, xgun is not archery equipment and should not be expanded. I hunt with an unscoped handgun which has less range than the xgun. Therefore handgun hunters should have the same privilege as the xgun. pulling a trigger is pulling a trigger, right.    

I'd say i'm indifferent.

I like the idea of 12-15 being able to use Xbow as well as anyone over 40 years old.   

I know my uncle would love to use one during archery. He got me into hunting and know that his shoulders are getting bad along with his eye sight, which deters him from sitting during archery.   I'm sure he'd participate more if he could use a crossbow.  (he's 70 years old)

there's most definitely advantages of using a crossbow over a vertical compound bow.  i'd say traditional archery to compound to crossbow are each equally big steps apart.  still all bows in my mind though.  i think it could get ridiculous if you have a hand crank to cock 300 lbs of crossbow limbs that launch heavy carbon arrows the size of saplings through the woods but we aren't there yet in materials or designs.

all that said 'yes' to all but the last one.  I'm not a member.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

you mean just like the trigger on the release I use on my compound?

yes the one where my own physical abilities are the limits and the one containing the potential energy. Not the one where my 5 year old can release the power with a flick of finger.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Belo said:

yes the one where my own physical abilities are the limits and the one containing the potential energy. Not the one where my 5 year old can release the power with a flick of finger.

So you are saying that pulling a trigger on one type of weapon is not the same as pulling the trigger on another type of weapon?

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I dont know what your malfunction is Doc, but I will say it again, I am not looking to make any rules or have any type of control over anything. The things that I speak of on here are my OPINIONS. Nothing more, nothing less. This is just another example of you twisting things that someone is saying. Go procreate with yourself.

Well then, stop whimpering every time I state the obvious regarding how your opinions about archery wounding losses are identical to those issued by gun hunters. You want to disallow any replies that dare to show that guns are a true factor in the future of bowhunting and every time that is pointed out you start whining some nonsense about spinning and twisting or what ever favorite buzz-word suits your imagination. I simply stated that your comments about wounding losses with vertical bows are exactly the same that I have heard spoken by gun hunters, and you fly off into a hissy fit about twisting your words and spinning something or other. Get over it and understand that just because you declare the discussion ends at archery only, doesn't make it true. The future of bowhunting does not reside only with bowhunters no matter how good your blinders are.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Well then, stop whimpering every time I state the obvious regarding how your opinions about archery wounding losses are identical to those issued by gun hunters. You want to disallow any replies that dare to show that guns are a true factor in the future of bowhunting and every time that is pointed out you start whining some nonsense about spinning and twisting or what ever favorite buzz-word suits your imagination. I simply stated that your comments about wounding losses with vertical bows are exactly the same that I have heard spoken by gun hunters, and you fly off into a hissy fit about twisting your words and spinning something or other. Get over it and understand that just because you declare the discussion ends at archery only, doesn't make it true. The future of bowhunting does not reside only with bowhunters no matter how good your blinders are.

Enjoy the last word

34 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

there's most definitely advantages of using a crossbow over a vertical compound bow.  i'd say traditional archery to compound to crossbow are each equally big steps apart. 

Yes, there was a huge step when we went from traditional equipment to compounds, but to say that it was the same magnitude as going from compounds to crossbows may be stretching it quite a bit .....lol. There were a whole lot of mental and physical disciplines that are still required to shoot all vertical bows that simply do not apply with crossbows.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I have a great solution - rotate very 3 years - (1) traditional only, (2) trad and compound, (3) trad, compound, xbow.  At least that is how I would solve it with my kids.  Everyone gets what they want.  lol  Solomon I am not.

Not sure about the three year rotation.. but I like the idea of the season progressing.. With weapons gettin progressively more effective every 2 weeks.. I do not hunt with a traditional bow (yet) , but if that was all I could use for the 1st 2 weeks  I would have one yesterday!. Not whine that I want to use my compound.

2 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Not sure about the three year rotation.. but I like the idea of the season progressing.. With weapons gettin progressively more effective every 2 weeks.. I do not hunt with a traditional bow (yet) , but if that was all I could use for the 1st 2 weeks  I would have one yesterday!. Not whine that I want to use my compound.

You would give up the compound.  Trad is too much fun!   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Just because someone has the opinion that crossbows should be included in all of archery season, doesnt mean they are whining.

Im with you on the rest though. If I could extend my hunting another two weeks, Id pick up a recurve as well.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yes, there was a huge step when we went from traditional equipment to compounds, but to say that it was the same magnitude as going from compounds to crossbows may be stretching it quite a bit .....lol. There were a whole lot of mental and physical disciplines that are still required to shoot all vertical bows that simply do not apply with crossbows.

the beauty of it is subjectivity.  i do think it's a big leap.  there much less movement with a crossbow and it can be used with a steady rest.  with very little practice a hunter can drive tacks out to 40 yards under those circumstances.  you don't have to hold weight if a deer stops behind a tree or with a branch in the way as it's checking out that out of place thing up in the tree. the leap isn't due to the same reasons but in my mind it's still a leap.  doesn't really matter though.  it's still a bow to be used during archery season in my mind.  when i go out with a trad gear versus my compound i don't dwell on it being any greater of an achievement.  it is what it is and assumed people understand that.

9 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

You would give up the compound.  Trad is too much fun!   

i wish it'd be separate seasons.  i have noble intentions of using my trad gear but the pull to the dark side is too much when i want to get the job done.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Just because someone has the opinion that crossbows should be included in all of archery season, doesnt mean they are whining.

Im with you on the rest though. If I could extend my hunting another two weeks, Id pick up a recurve as well.

You are correct sir.;) 

From my perspective it sometimes seems that way.. I'm sure the opposite is true. 

I honestly think that as time goes on we will wish we kept seasons separated. To me it brings to mind what happened up here when they allowed inline mzl with scopes. It whent from there being a few hunters using them to everybody. For the most part , in the northern zone , if you hunt deer you have a mzl..In the past opening day of rifle was THE day...  Now they have already been shot and or shot at already..lol..  You are the odd man out if you still carry a traditional mzl.

Edited by ncountry
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i wish it'd be separate seasons.  i have noble intentions of using my trad gear but the pull to the dark side is too much when i want to get the job done.

I know you said you don't dwell on it being any greater achievement but I do get greater satisfaction from the recurve.  If you stick with the trad bow, you may just find that you still get the job done and enjoy it even more.  Who knows.  In the end, that is why I prefer having choices for everyone.  

• Like 2