Do You Support Crossbow Full Inclusion into the NY Archery Season?

tughillmcd

1 minute ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

If you shoot a buck during bow, you cant shoot another until gun season.

I actually wish they would go to one buck tag per hunter per season. Doesnt matter what season you fill it in.

yes , but my point was we get two buck tags most states dont.   And we have oppurtunity to hunt with multiple weapons and seasons.  We have it good. Right now i have 5 tags I can fill with options for bow, crossbow, gun and muzzleoader.  A lot of states have real restrictive gun seasons, very short.  Everyone has the chance to use the weapon or type of hunt of their choice for the most part.  I think its great how its set up.  

4 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

If you shoot a buck during bow, you cant shoot another until gun season.

I actually wish they would go to one buck tag per hunter per season. Doesnt matter what season you fill it in.

Not on Long Island, you can shoot 2 bucks in one day. 

None, and you're making my argument valid soooo not sure where you're going with this.

You have gone on and on about how easy they are and they don't belong. They use pulleys and cranks to cock  unlike vertical bows...well long bows and recurves are much more difficult then compounds...compounds use cables and pulleys(harnesses and cams) how many compound hunters are using "triggers" not fingers. How many times have I heard, I got my sights dialed in. from you compound hunters. No different than dialing in a scope, OH wait with one BIG difference...you don't see the effect of "drift" from your sights as with a scope.

So perhaps we should stick compounds in the crossbow season with the muzzle loaders and leave the rest of bow season to the traditionalist...Because from all that you've pointed out that seems to be where they belong...

• Like 2

A couple of other points crossbows are very front heavy and difficult to shoot  offhand,, also they can be very difficult to move around a tree stand with horizontal limbs, also I have put more than one arrow in a deer over my career try that with a crossbow or a recover from a miss with a crossbow is next to impossible..

• Like 4

Not really in regards to the crossbow issue, but if you're a hunter or angler, and you're not a member of the NYSCC, you should heavily consider joining.  They're really the only NY group who advocate on our behalf in Albany.  

There are over 500k hunting licenses issued to NY residents every year.  If every licensed hunter, or even every other hunter, joined the NYSCC, we would have a much more influential voice in Albany.  

Edited by Padre86

Not really in regards to the crossbow issue, but if you're a hunter or angler, and you're not a member of the NYSCC, you should heavily consider joining.  They're really the only NY group who advocate on our behalf in Albany.  

There are over 500k hunting licenses issued to NY residents every year.  If every licensed hunter, or even every other hunter, joined the NYSCC, we would have a much more influential voice in Albany.  

???
https://nyscc.org

25 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Wrong site.  The website for the NY State Conservation Council (NYSCC) is: NYSCC.com

24 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Great, but a bowhunter group only represents a portion of NY's overall hunter population.  A group like that should also consider establishing a relationship with the NYSCC if it hasn't already; there are a lot of regional and specific outdoor groups that fall under the NYSCC umbrella for representation in Albany.  

Edited by Padre86
  • Like 1

Great, but a bowhunter group only represents a portion of NY's overall hunter population.  A group like that should also consider establishing a relationship with the NYSCC if it hasn't already; there are a lot of regional and specific outdoor groups that fall under the NYSCC umbrella for representation in Albany.  

Fantastic info. Thank you

2 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

abb0df763d035e9f46c1603559a2c025.png

Just found this on FB. Cross bow kills somebody's horse. Must of been the guy that spent all that time practicing with his archery tackle. emoji849.png. I can hear it now..."damn billy bob ya shudda sent that der it was a biggin!! 2 arra's I shot an still don't drop". Lol.

That type of thing has happened with bows and guns. Can’t blame that on a crossbow. From the looks of it,, it was done with field points. Not sure what it has do do with the topic at all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

That type of thing has happened with bows and guns. Can’t blame that on a crossbow. From the looks of it,, it was done with field points. Not sure what it has do do with the topic at all. 

And of course everything on Facebook is always true ..

Could be a photoshop pic as well..

I just wanted to add, I don't know why some people think crossbows are some magical weapon of destruction,,, most people are not Daryl on "The walking Dead " it still takes hunting skills to get close enough to a deer to make a shot and the same skills for recovery of the animal..

I just view it as a different tool that Im allowed to use, I have spots that I cant hunt with a bow and can set up with a crossbow ( on the ground in close quaters for example ) because I have this magical tool in my hand I almost always still go home empty handed..

Maybe its just where I hunt and live but if everyone around me used one it wouldnt affect my hunting one bit ..

Maybe Im missing something..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

42 pages and no one has admitted to changing their stance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I changed mine years ago from a no to a yes in favor of them. 

I don’t have to hunt with one or with any one that hunts with one if I chose too. I do not care if someone else uses one. If it helps more folks get into hunting and bow hunting great. 

I am still going to be able to kill deer each year where ever I hunt. 

As NyAntler has said in the past maybe folks should just “shut up and hunt”. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

I changed mine years ago from a no to a yes in favor of them. 

I don’t have to hunt with one or with any one that hunts with one if I chose too. I do not care if someone else uses one. If it helps more folks get into hunting and bow hunting great. 

I am still going to be able to kill deer each year where ever I hunt. 

As NyAntler has said in the past maybe folks should just “shut up and hunt”. 

I did say Im in favor as many did in the first few pages :)

10 hours ago, brownclown said:

Yet no one answers my question in response to Biz " I still dont get why people advocate for full inclusion. No one is stopping you from using a "real" bow.  And for that very small percentage of people that "cant" because of age and or physical disability there is almost unanimous support for them being included. "

Real bow? You mean a recurve or longbow - the equipment the bow season was started for.

You must have missed/ignored my previous posts . If you are using a compound to hunt at all, you do it for ONE reason - it is EASIER.  Which is fine until you want your easier to be the cutoff.  I hunt primarily with a recurve but have stands that using a recurve would be difficult - so I take my compound that I shoot maybe 30 arrows a year with because it is EASIER. I get no enjoyment from shooting the compound - actually don't like it. When full inclusion hits, it will be gone and I will use a basic crossBOW for when I want easy. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Like I said tactics, How many guys pass deer with a firearm? I didn't fill my reg season tag because I don't shoot anything that walks we pass on deer that aren't 4.5 years old. So I voluntarily didn't fill my reg season tag. Do you fill your tag every year just to fill it or do you let the small bucks walk and eat the tag? I eat the tag and take a doe for the freezer. Your numbers don't show how many guys don't shoot smaller bucks and eat their tag and I don't expect you or DEC to know those numbers but that is something to think about. How about those people that buy tags or have lifetime licenses that for some reason can't make it out. My father last year had rotator cuff surgery done after he had bought his license couldn't fill his tag because the recoil would have torn his bicep from his rotator cuff. Guess what he was one of those 2/3. There are other circumstances to why people don't fill their tag other than they suck at hunting or too lazy or get deer fever and miss or...well you get the picture. My grandfather has his lifetime license guess what he is 90 years old and doesn't go out anymore. He is part of that 2/3.

everything you listed with personal experience is valid but you can't infer that everyone else is the same. The harvest numbers don't take passing into account but I can say that since the annual buck harvest it around 50% for yearlings, there are still a lot that don't. My point is that the anti crossbow crowd keeps speaking about how easy it will be to use one as if it will be some magic harvest tool. I don't see it. If you really look at the harvest numbers and  and think about how many folks take multiple deer (I've taken 8-9 in some years) there is a slew of folks that don't take even one, and that is with a gun. The crossbow is NOT going to be a substitution for woodsmanship and even if some think is is when buying one, they will be disappointed in darn short order.  IMO. 

I just got one, becasue much like Grampy, I like a little variety and I will probably be carrying my compound, recurve and crossbow, depending on my stand and what my mood is. I'll probably carry it more this year than in subsequent years becasue who doesn't like taking a deer with a new weapon