Do You Support Crossbow Full Inclusion into the NY Archery Season?

tughillmcd

9 hours ago, SteveB said:

Real bow? You mean a recurve or longbow - the equipment the bow season was started for.

You must have missed/ignored my previous posts . If you are using a compound to hunt at all, you do it for ONE reason - it is EASIER.  Which is fine until you want your easier to be the cutoff.  I hunt primarily with a recurve but have stands that using a recurve would be difficult - so I take my compound that I shoot maybe 30 arrows a year with because it is EASIER. I get no enjoyment from shooting the compound - actually don't like it. When full inclusion hits, it will be gone and I will use a basic crossBOW for when I want easy. 

i dont deny that i do it because it is easier. Am also not against full inclusion based on easy of use as my sole objection. in that sense i have been swayed and see seval aspects of shooting a cross bow as more challenging. All of my objections are associated with the simple fact that the xbow is "pre drawn" at the time of the shot. I have only been hunting 7 seasons now so compared to some i am still new. As a result as i have become more proficient i have looked to adding to the challenge of the archery season.  last year i spent several months trying to learn and become proficient with a recurve. Unfortunately i am right handed and left eye dominant. This had a huge impact on my ability to progress in both instinctual and/or gap shooting. I have not given up but it would be unethical for me to attempt to take an animal at this point in time. So it is not just ease that leads me to using a compound. at the end of the season i plan to switch all my equipment to left handed.  At that time i will also purchase a left handed recurve or long to try again.  Also if you read through these pages you will see most who are against inclusion would support a separate season for "traditional" archery .

• Like 1

18 hours ago, brownclown said:

Slob(my definition)- someone who does not take time to be proficient with weapon of choice, questionable ethics (baiting, safe shooting hours, shot choice, knowledge of target and beyond, shots at running animals) , drinking, littering, no scent control, inconsiderate set ups (clearly seeing im there yet set up 50yrds away), thieves, etc. i have dealt with some  combinations these behaviors on numerous occasions and on a much higher percentage during gun season. I don't believe the weapon of choice has much to do with it simply has to do with increased numbers of people and having higher chance of the  person being a "slob"

18 hours ago, steve863 said:

Never heard that one before.   Did you ever fart in your stand??  

"scent control" in it self doesn't necessarily make someone a slob. As you can see i said "combinations" of these behaviors and this is just generalizations and my opinion.  but sorry i feel you are a slob if your chain smoking in the woods and leaving behind piles of cigarette butts.

Well I can say I have never shot an animal with a field point...That said...PLEASE EXPLAIN to me..pony shot not once but twice with a cross bow, right?  How? Was it tethered? And can you explain why there is NO signs of blood, not even a little on its s fur..did it remain completely motionless at impact?

Edited by growalot

28 minutes ago, brownclown said:

"scent control" in it self doesn't necessarily make someone a slob. As you can see i said "combinations" of these behaviors and this is just generalizations and my opinion.  but sorry i feel you are a slob if your chain smoking in the woods and leaving behind piles of cigarette butts.

Nope, that ain't me.  I don't smoke.  However, I don't do a darned thing to eliminate any scent from my clothes.  Those scent eliminating spray products would go out of business if all hunters were like me.  I will admit to farting in my stand, and I will make NO apologies for it, so you can go ahead and pin the scarlet letter "S" on me for being a slob!! LOL

11 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Nope, that ain't me.  I don't smoke.  However, I don't do a darned thing to eliminate any scent from my clothes.  Those scent eliminating spray products would go out of business if all hunters were like me.  I will admit to farting in my stand, and I will make NO apologies for it, so you can go ahead and pin the scarlet letter "S" on me for being a slob!! LOL

o.k. now. time to get off the cross

On 10/12/2017 at 3:27 PM, growalot said:

You have gone on and on about how easy they are and they don't belong. They use pulleys and cranks to cock  unlike vertical bows...well long bows and recurves are much more difficult then compounds...compounds use cables and pulleys(harnesses and cams) how many compound hunters are using "triggers" not fingers. How many times have I heard, I got my sights dialed in. from you compound hunters. No different than dialing in a scope, OH wait with one BIG difference...you don't see the effect of "drift" from your sights as with a scope.

So perhaps we should stick compounds in the crossbow season with the muzzle loaders and leave the rest of bow season to the traditionalist...Because from all that you've pointed out that seems to be where they belong...

Maybe that is not a bad idea. 

Go post your age in the other thread...Then let my and others age experience, tell you if you'll think so in a few or several years:wink:

See it's great talking the talk..and man do I get this now...But it means  zip, until you've walked the walk . Only time allows for much of that...

On 10/12/2017 at 8:55 AM, WNYBuckHunter said:

Thats not what I have heard. They have allowed crossbows for what? 41 years? Heres the current status of crossbows across the nation. NY will fall in line with the majority before long.

crossbowmap.JPG

To those who are upset about the prospects of full inclusion, this map posted by WNYBH may be of interest.  The black state of Oregon would be a good place to consider a move to.   I have spent some time in that state and it is pretty nice.  They have Mt. Hood & the Timberline Lodge, some cool lumber museums, the Leatherman factory, in addition to one of my favorite lunch spots in the lower 48 (the Tippy Canoe near the Columbia river), and great beer.  The scenery runs a close second to NY's Adirondacks.  In addition to whitetails, they have blacktails, mule deer, and elk.  The fact that they are the only state where crossbow's are illegal to hunt with, probably means that it will be many years before you need to worry about them infringing on archery season.

I think it is important for those of us who are for full inclusion to provide some hope and comfort for you folks in your time of dispair.   Oregon may be the answer.  

9 minutes ago, Bagboy23 said:

Yes, I'm in the Northern Zone.

How it "your time" impacted by early season bear, small game hunters, turkey hunters and waterfowlers?

I was up in NZ this past weekend for the opener. except for the 6 shots from the guys I was with, I heard 4 more all weekend. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

W

25 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

How it "your time" impacted by early season bear, small game hunters, turkey hunters and waterfowlers?

I was up in NZ this past weekend for the opener. except for the 6 shots from the guys I was with, I heard 4 more all weekend. 

When they made crossbow legal for the last 2 weeks of archery, the anti crossbow people said there would be an "invasion" of crossbow hunters into "their" woods causing more deer to be wounded by the "reckless" hunters using crossbow and disturbing the woods. I remember driving thru 3 counties that day and hunted both state and private land. The state land was empty. If they pass full inclusion, I doubt there will be another "invasion" into "their" woods.

• Like 1

To those who are upset about the prospects of full inclusion, this map posted by WNYBH may be of interest.  The black state of Oregon would be a good place to consider a move to.   I have spent some time in that state and it is pretty nice.  They have Mt. Hood & the Timberline Lodge, some cool lumber museums, the Leatherman factory, in addition to one of my favorite lunch spots in the lower 48 (the Tippy Canoe near the Columbia river), and great beer.  The scenery runs a close second to NY's Adirondacks.  In addition to whitetails, they have blacktails, mule deer, and elk.  The fact that they are the only state where crossbow's are illegal to hunt with, probably means that it will be many years before you need to worry about them infringing on archery season.
I think it is important for those of us who are for full inclusion to provide some hope and comfort for you folks in your time of dispair.   Oregon may be the answer.  

For someone with such a connection to God and the moral high ground you certainly have no problem telling anyone that disagrees with your opinion to move to the other side of the country...? What happened to tolerance? I guess maybe instead of provoking and whining maybe YOU should move to a state with full inclusion! How about that?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

If my wife has her way, we will be moving , mostly for tax , cost of living and weather , full inclusion in crossbow will just be a bonus , along with gun laws and over all politics .

No fear I'll still post here !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chrisw said:

For someone with such a connection to God and the moral high ground you certainly have no problem telling anyone that disagrees with your opinion to move to the other side of the country...? What happened to tolerance? I guess maybe instead of provoking and whining maybe YOU should move to a state with full inclusion! How about that?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I am not "telling" them where to go, just pointing out that there is a place where they may be able to go and live happily ever after.   I  have no problem with them staying here, after full inclusion, and continuing to hunt with their compounds, recurves or longbows if they wish.   Thank you for bringing up my connection to God.  What weapon do you suppose Jesus would prefer ?    One that women, children, weak, and old folks could handle easily, or one that only the strong could operate ?  How would He feel about a special season that only the strong could participate in ?   

• 2 weeks later...

I believe we crossbow hunters are doing ourselves a disservice to push for more than the option to have use of crossbow be inclusive for the entire archery season.

i believe complicating the request with additional request will only slow or deter a change to include crossbows use in all of  archery season.   I have no pity for any hunter or manufacture that has bought or produced a Hunting instrument that doesn’t fall within framework of some states limitations.

First,  why would a company invest in a crossbow the exceeds the regulations of many states?  Apparently they believed they would appeal to more than hunters.  And why would a hunter in New York purchase a crossbow in excess of 200 lb draw weight?  Or narrower than 17 inches wide?

These are not my problems, I’m just an older handicapped hunter that, if I choose to continue archery hunting will have to employ the crossbow.  The important aspect of getting the crossbow to be inclusive for the entire archery season is allowing us crossbow hunters ( some older or individuals with limitations ) to continue to spend out later years enjoying the sport/ activities we have over our life span.  

I believe it is a mistake to expand our request to anything more than making crossbows inclusive for the entire archery season. 

Let those misguided companies that developed crossbows outside the limitations of some states, spend their own time and money for changes in limitations. Or suffer the consequences of their mistakes.

i believe the crossbow will eventually be inclusive the whole archery season, but that time frame could be set back many years by representing those misguided hunters and manufactures that made and purchased those weapons.

7 hours ago, Jmny said:

These are not my problems, I’m just an older handicapped hunter that, if I choose to continue archery hunting will have to employ the crossbow.  

you can apply for a permit to allow you to use a crossbow. Just about everyone i know supports their use for elderly and handicapped. 

• Like 2

On 10/19/2017 at 6:29 PM, wolc123 said:

One that women, children, weak, and old folks could handle easily, or one that only the strong could operate ?  How would He feel about a special season that only the strong could participate in ?   

EXCUSE ME....Do you have any idea how many woman and kids bow hunt? My daughters first deer was a 6pt she shot with a bow...my sons first deer was a doe shot with a bow,both young in age.  Then, well I honestly do not know at the moment just how many I have shot with a bow...but a few have been posted here...come on weak weak weak... Perhaps only the strong communicators should be posting here...LOL

7 hours ago, Jmny said:

I believe we crossbow hunters are doing ourselves a disservice to push for more than the option to have use of crossbow be inclusive for the entire archery season.

i believe complicating the request with additional request will only slow or deter a change to include crossbows use in all of  archery season.   I have no pity for any hunter or manufacture that has bought or produced a Hunting instrument that doesn’t fall within framework of some states limitations.

First,  why would a company invest in a crossbow the exceeds the regulations of many states?  Apparently they believed they would appeal to more than hunters.  And why would a hunter in New York purchase a crossbow in excess of 200 lb draw weight?  Or narrower than 17 inches wide?

These are not my problems, I’m just an older handicapped hunter that, if I choose to continue archery hunting will have to employ the crossbow.  The important aspect of getting the crossbow to be inclusive for the entire archery season is allowing us crossbow hunters ( some older or individuals with limitations ) to continue to spend out later years enjoying the sport/ activities we have over our life span.  

I believe it is a mistake to expand our request to anything more than making crossbows inclusive for the entire archery season. 

Let those misguided companies that developed crossbows outside the limitations of some states, spend their own time and money for changes in limitations. Or suffer the consequences of their mistakes.

i believe the crossbow will eventually be inclusive the whole archery season, but that time frame could be set back many years by representing those misguided hunters and manufactures that made and purchased those weapons.

I guess Glock, Smith and Wesson, Beretta and the others are just as short sighted becasue they produce pistol magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. I haven't compared all the states where crossbows are legal  for their spec requirements, (I am betting you haven't either), but out of curiosity, I will be. 

• Like 2