Do You Support Crossbow Full Inclusion into the NY Archery Season?

tughillmcd

I have seen no increase and I am part of that social media posting NY buck harvests... any uptick in buck posts would probably be from more hunters each year on social media as well as more pages available to post bucks. If the vast majority of hunters were taking bucks instead of just a small percentage of the hunters I would be more apt to agree with a necessity for a one buck rule.

Also the rut kicked in right around the same time. Social media will not be a gauge, reported harvest numbers will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Actually bow and crossbow harvests were down for 2016 as opposed to 2015 per the DEC but i guess some fluctuations are expected from yr to yr. last yr was pretty warm this yr its cold for the rut so harvests should be higher this yr. seeing a lot more movement of bucks this yr  apposed to last yr. the weapon used really isnt the hard part getting the deer in front of you is.

3 hours ago, erussell said:

I see a one buck only if they are introduced for full inclusion. I have seen an increase of buck kills on social media since cross bow inclusion and season start this yr. which I am for. along with AR's. increased harvests with cross bows could help push them along.

I hope they never go with a one buck rule, but I would not mind seeing the AR's as long as it was 3 points on a side.  4 points on a side would be a deal-breaker for me.  The thing I like best about those AR's, is that they should help safety by forcing hunters to be more sure of their targets before shooting.  In theory, that should reduce hunting accidents.  I would only go for them though, if evidence could be produced from states or areas that already have them, that they do reduce accidents.   I have not shot a buck with less than 3 points on at least one side in many years, so such an AR rule would have no effect on my own style, but might keep others and myself from getting shot by mistake.   In addition, I would like to see it go to 3 bucks, for those who buy an archery, regular, and ML licence.     

18 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I hope they never go with a one buck rule, but I would not mind seeing the AR's as long as it was 3 points on a side.  4 points on a side would be a deal-breaker for me.  The thing I like best about those AR's, is that they should help safety by forcing hunters to be more sure of their targets before shooting.  In theory, that should reduce hunting accidents.  I would only go for them though, if evidence could be produced from states or areas that already have them, that they do reduce accidents.   I have not shot a buck with less than 3 points on at least one side in many years, so such an AR rule would have no effect on my own style, but might keep others and myself from getting shot by mistake.   In addition, I would like to see it go to 3 bucks, for those who buy an archery, regular, and ML licence.     

LMAO, Im so glad hunters like you arent in charge of the rules.

I want them to go to a one buck rule, regardless of full inclusion, as long as they also get rid of any type of doe tag that allows you to shoot a doe in any WMU, and go to all antlerless tags being dished out the way DMPs are currently. For those of you that say "but they dont hand DMPs out in my zone", well, part of that is due to the fact that they have to take those either sex tags into account when they try and figure how many antlerless deer will be harvested in that WMU each year. It would be a big help for them to properly manage the heard.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

LMAO, Im so glad hunters like you arent in charge of the rules.

I want them to go to a one buck rule, regardless of full inclusion, as long as they also get rid of any type of doe tag that allows you to shoot a doe in any WMU, and go to all antlerless tags being dished out the way DMPs are currently. For those of you that say "but they dont hand DMPs out in my zone", well, part of that is due to the fact that they have to take those either sex tags into account when they try and figure how many antlerless deer will be harvested in that WMU each year. It would be a big help for them to properly manage the heard.

only the lord should be in charge. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, jokeandcolorOutdoors said:

Add a week to muzzleloader/late archery, charge for a doe tag, and use the proceeds towards expanding our public lands. Crossbow guys get 4 weeks and muzzleloader guys get 2. plus more land for everybody.

Not gonna happen ,the snowmobilers are not a group you wanna tangle with.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, jokeandcolorOutdoors said:

I'm genuinely curious as to how this would affect snowmobilers.

Snowmobile trails are prohibited from being opened until deer seasons close. Thus extending deer hunting for 1 more week means snowmobile trails can not be opened until after that week. There was talk of moving muzzleloader season until the week between Christmas and New Year's to give the deer a chance to calm down after being pushed from Oct 1st and it hit the same resistance. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jokeandcolorOutdoors said:

Interesting, I'm sure a middle ground could be found though. We rarely have snow enough to snowmobile here in the southern tier till after christmas.

Look at the resistance to full inclusion, the snowmobiles are the same way about their season start date . Put those 2 groups in a room and I'm certain you will get zero results. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, SteveB said:

Yep - just like a gun:taunt:

5a86452e8e038_Crossbowvsrifle.thumb.jpg.c79d1020248dc803d08c90488723717b.jpg

Yup uses a scope to compensate out to that yardage, and can be rested on something just like a rifle to achieve a shot at that distance. When you only look at arguments pro crossbow that try to make it be a vertical bow then that is all you will find.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2017 at 8:26 PM, jokeandcolorOutdoors said:

Interesting, I'm sure a middle ground could be found though. We rarely have snow enough to snowmobile here in the southern tier till after christmas.

It has nothing to do with the southern tier, its Tug Hill and the areas up that way that basically depend on snowmobile season to make ends meet for the rest of the year. Take a trip up there and see whats going on some year and youll see why.

59 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

It has nothing to do with the southern tier, its Tug Hill and the areas up that way that basically depend on snowmobile season to make ends meet for the rest of the year. Take a trip up there and see whats going on some year and youll see why.

We used to snowmobile in that area, start in Parish near the Grist Mill and head up to Montague, Timberview, Flat Rock, Barnes Corners, Lowville all areas that have tons of snowmobile traffic. It was great making a quick night trip for wings over to Kasoag, I can't remember the bar but looks like a barn. Many of those areas depend on the snowmobile community to get by in the winter months. Big money from snowmobilers. A lot of people travel hours just to snowmobile up there, lots of out of staters. It was nothing to blow through $100 in fuel for just the sleds and another $100 on food and beverages. We would put an easy 1500 miles/season on our sleds usually 150 miles in a weekend. Longer season ain't going to happen. 

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

We used to snowmobile in that area, start in Parish near the Grist Mill and head up to Montague, Timberview, Flat Rock, Barnes Corners, Lowville all areas that have tons of snowmobile traffic. It was great making a quick night trip for wings over to Kasoag, I can't remember the bar but looks like a barn. Many of those areas depend on the snowmobile community to get by in the winter months. Big money from snowmobilers. A lot of people travel hours just to snowmobile up there, lots of out of staters. It was nothing to blow through $100 in fuel for just the sleds and another $100 on food and beverages. We would put an easy 1500 miles/season on our sleds usually 150 miles in a weekend. Longer season ain't going to happen. 

just for insurance, registration, and club membership alone sledding is an expensive hobby. add in parts that need replacing here and there even more money.  it's stupid fun though if the white stuff is stacking up.

• Like 1

Simple fix.  End seasons, make hunting season start in October for all weapons.  Full inclusion for every weapon. 

Bows that require use of both hands to shoot are allowed first 2 weeks only, after that its any weapon you choose that is legal in the area.  No more muzzleloader season bow season is first 2 weeks only.