Do You Support Crossbow Full Inclusion into the NY Archery Season?

tughillmcd

1 hour ago, brownclown said:

im sure the numbers would be very low. even gun numbers are very low. I know my feelings arent a valid argument but this whole thread has been peoples feelings. And given the choice i dont want cross bows in the woods with me partially because i feel they are less safe.

Yet no one answers my question in response to Biz " I still dont get why people advocate for full inclusion. No one is stopping you from using a "real" bow.  And for that very small percentage of people that "cant" because of age and or physical disability there is almost unanimous support for them being included. "

An

It’s already been answered a few times

1 minute ago, Trial153 said:

and yes the majority are so lazy it is pathetic. I bet about half of the license holders don't spend 20 hours in the woods in the season. If you can't kill a deer with a gun in New York in the southern Zone you're either incompetent or you're lazy

IMO, your comments border on absurd and ill informed. 

• Like 2

I'll bite, actually most have mechanisms that draw for you all you do is turn a crank or use pulleys because a normal person can't cock it by hold the string.

I'm curious how many guys do you know that are pulling and holding 70# long and recurve bows using fingers?

There is a reason your using the easier compounds....which use what?????

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, brownclown said:

"Why do you care what type of archery equipment someone else chooses to use is? " isnt an answer

How about...

" crossbows are archery equipment, there is no significant advantage to them other than the amount of practice to become proficient, and therefore they belong in archery season as another tool for people to use. "

....as well as many other answers scattered throughout this thread and every crossbow inclusion thread for the last few years on this site.

Now that that part is cleared up, I have to ask, who are you to say what is a real bow and what isnt? Personally, I go by the definitions of what archery includes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brownclown said:

Yet no one answers my question in response to Biz " I still dont get why people advocate for full inclusion. No one is stopping you from using a "real" bow.  And for that very small percentage of people that "cant" because of age and or physical disability there is almost unanimous support for them being included. "

An

I'll answer. I advocate the crossbow as just another hunting implement. Something fun! Another tool. Another choice!  That is 'now' legal for two weeks of archery season.  I will still 'choose' to continue  killing deer with my "real" bow, as long as I can too!  Just as I have chosen to for decades now. No one was, or is stopping me from using my '"real" bow, because it too is a legal hunting implement.  But it certainly seems that there are 'many', who 'choose' to stop 'me' from using a crossbow. Already deemed legal, in part of the NYS, 'archery' season, because of their own fears, misconceptions and lets face it selfishness. How can anyone, with a shred of brain activity, compare a firearm with a crossbow? It's just a cop out, because you think someone else will steal YOUR deer. Hell I've been stealing YOUR deer for decades with my 'real' bow! If something is legal, I don't need someone calling me a slob hunter, because I choose to use a different hunting tool than they do, or  choose to hunt differently!  With or without a crossbow, I'm still going to be out there as a "slob' hunter, stealing your damned deer, no matter what I choose to carry in the woods! 

• Like 2

i dont know why i keep getting sucked into these discussions. no one changes their minds. There is currently a xbow season during the most productive time of season.  you all just want more more. i see those who are opposed more then willing to make accommodations but just don't want to open the flood gates of slobs. (grampy not sure of your definition of slobs but what you are describing is not)

4 minutes ago, brownclown said:

i dont know why i keep getting sucked into these discussions. no one changes their minds. There is currently a xbow season during the most productive time of season.  you all just want more more. i see those who are opposed more then willing to make accommodations but just don't want to open the flood gates of slobs. (grampy not sure of your definition of slobs but what you are describing is not)

just wondering what your definition of slob is

1 hour ago, Trial153 said:

and yes the majority are so lazy it is pathetic. I bet about half of the license holders don't spend 20 hours in the woods in the season. If you can't kill a deer with a gun in New York in the southern Zone you're either incompetent or you're lazy

Just for that I am writing my assemblyman and state senator in support of a bill that would allow the use of guns during the entire bow season!!  And all guns during bow season will need to have the loudest available muzzle brakes installed.  This way any deer that might be approaching a bowhunter will get scared off by the loud blasts of the gun hunters.  How do you like them bananas??

• Haha 1

Slob(my definition)- someone who does not take time to be proficient with weapon of choice, questionable ethics (baiting, safe shooting hours, shot choice, knowledge of target and beyond, shots at running animals) , drinking, littering, no scent control, inconsiderate set ups (clearly seeing im there yet set up 50yrds away), thieves, etc. i have dealt with some  combinations these behaviors on numerous occasions and on a much higher percentage during gun season. I don't believe the weapon of choice has much to do with it simply has to do with increased numbers of people and having higher chance of the  person being a "slob"

Just for that I am writing my assemblyman and state senator in support of a bill that would allow the use of guns during the entire bow season!!  And all guns during bow season will need to have the loudest available muzzle brakes installed.  This way any deer that might be approaching a bowhunter will get scared off by the loud blasts of the gun hunters.  How do you like them bananas??

I am sure your letter and or email won't be the first that they received stating that, nor the last. So have at it. besides I doubt in will hear the shots from Kansas and SD in November. while your at it you might as well hunt on my land..since I won't be.

on a serious note. I like to bust balls on this. truthfully in am not for any further inclusion and I think the original inclusion was a mistake. We are at point in society where everything and anything is justified and excepted. This won't be any different. I seen the writing on the wall in NY years ago and realized there was greener pastures to bow hunt. The last 10 years I hunted less and less here and don't miss it at all.

I am having a great 2017 with P&Y desert mule deer and a P&Y Quebec Labrador Caribou...and I didn't even start deer hunting yet.

19 minutes ago, steve863 said:

See, now there is a guy that truly cannot be called selfish or elitist or any of those other disparaging names that crossbow supporters are so fond of calling bowhunters. Steve863 is for opening up bow season for whatever anyone wants to use. Look at all the people that would be made happy. No exclusionary attitudes there. Bring it all on. Don't be telling people what they can and cannot use to hunt deer with during bow season.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

See, now there is a guy that truly cannot be called selfish or elitist or any of those other disparaging names that crossbow supporters are so fond of calling bowhunters. Steve863 is for opening up bow season for whatever anyone wants to use. Look at all the people that would be made happy. No exclusionary attitudes there. Bring it all on. Don't be telling people what they can and cannot use to hunt deer with during bow season.

Thanks Doc, I think that's the nicest thing you ever said to me!  LOL

i get a chuckle out of all the discussion/arguements over this.  Mostly because I think the seasons in NY are perfect.  How do you beat a month and a half of bow, and two weeks of crossbow - with a seperate tag for a buck and a doe, then 3 weeks of gun season with another buck tag and if you didnt get your fill, another round for the late muzzleloader.  And we complain.........it aint so bad! lol  

1 hour ago, growalot said:

dropped in tracks through top of both shoulders. The following is from that link... Now it talks of gun hit though you can get the same results with a broad head in the same area..as these two show. they literally tipped over at the impact. also please go to link and look at diagrams.

http://deer30outdoors.com/keys-to-understanding-shot-placement-on-a-white-tailed-deer/

IMG_1313.JPG.74dc1bac7e2cb4badd2f38f3998063ad.JPGIMG_0777.JPG.3bf00a08594130bd729bad89cfc3af9c.JPGIMG_0776_1.JPG.ced27b1858e2c1bd9e8b3c17fc65036a.JPG

So he hit it through both shoulders and it dropped in it's tracks at 76 yards with a bow not crossbow? And how far were your deer? I'm not buying it was a 76 yard shot and I'm sorry your shots were much lower on the body than that deer you can plainly see the difference and yours were also angled. Trust me I don't need any help identifying vitals or where they are. 

1 minute ago, steve863 said:

Thanks Doc, I think that's the nicest thing you ever said to me!  LOL

Well, it certainly is warranted. I'm not saying that I agree with it, but if all those calling bowhunters selfish exclusionary elitists and all ticked off that someone is trying to tell them what weapons they can use in a bow season are to have any credibility at all, they too would be shouting "Come one...come all, everyone is invited!"

Otherwise, they too by there own definition are exclusionary, selfish elitists that are only interested in telling people what they can or cannot use during bow season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, growalot said:

I'm curious how many guys do you know that are pulling and holding 70# long and recurve bows using fingers?

There is a reason your using the easier compounds....which use what?????

None, and you're making my argument valid soooo not sure where you're going with this.

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Yet the Harvest numbers don't support your claims. The majority of gun hunter do not take a deer just look at license sals vs harvest numbers. If it's Sooooooo easy why can't more do it?

Like I said tactics, How many guys pass deer with a firearm? I didn't fill my reg season tag because I don't shoot anything that walks we pass on deer that aren't 4.5 years old. So I voluntarily didn't fill my reg season tag. Do you fill your tag every year just to fill it or do you let the small bucks walk and eat the tag? I eat the tag and take a doe for the freezer. Your numbers don't show how many guys don't shoot smaller bucks and eat their tag and I don't expect you or DEC to know those numbers but that is something to think about. How about those people that buy tags or have lifetime licenses that for some reason can't make it out. My father last year had rotator cuff surgery done after he had bought his license couldn't fill his tag because the recoil would have torn his bicep from his rotator cuff. Guess what he was one of those 2/3. There are other circumstances to why people don't fill their tag other than they suck at hunting or too lazy or get deer fever and miss or...well you get the picture. My grandfather has his lifetime license guess what he is 90 years old and doesn't go out anymore. He is part of that 2/3.

Edited by chas0218

12 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i get a chuckle out of all the discussion/arguements over this.  Mostly because I think the seasons in NY are perfect.  How do you beat a month and a half of bow, and two weeks of crossbow - with a seperate tag for a buck and a doe, then 3 weeks of gun season with another buck tag and if you didnt get your fill, another round for the late muzzleloader.  And we complain.........it aint so bad! lol  

If you shoot a buck during bow, you cant shoot another until gun season.

I actually wish they would go to one buck tag per hunter per season. Doesnt matter what season you fill it in.