Do You Support Crossbow Full Inclusion into the NY Archery Season?

tughillmcd

28 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I know Doc. It never goes back. We are also never going to stop "advancement" and introduction of new technology. No amount of foot stomping or kicking and screaming will work. There will be full inclusion despite any wishes or comments on this site or ones like this. 

Oh you're absolutely right. The nature of today's hunter has evolved into something that I identify less and less with. I will say that a brave effort has been put forth by NYB to forestall the crazy headlong rush to diminish the sport and the season, but the Madison Avenue marketeers have learned how to appeal to the new breed of hunter and have successfully molded and twisted the activity to push the evolution into an out of control revolution.

However, I have never been one to simply surrender quietly or in effect encouraging these changes through silence. So whenever a topic like this comes on the forum, I make sure that I always have my say. I am not sure I would characterize it as foot stomping, kicking and screaming, but I definitely will not be silenced and will continue to voice my opposition to what hunting (especially bowhunting) is morphing into.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I understand that you want to dictate the terms of the future, but unfortunately, there are already those that are looking greedily at the bowseason and they are firearms users. And the invasion has already begun without a second thought. So don't be telling me that you are the rules-maker and that you can make all of your comments apply only to bows and crossbows. You don't get to set the rules. So when you make comments that indicate that superior weapons should be added to help solve wounding losses of archery, I am certain that the gunners are cheering you on.

I dont want to dictate anything, Im not the rules maker, but I can say that MY comments only apply to what I am talking about. If YOU twist them to try and apply them to something else, then that is YOUR deal. I will correct anyone that tries to twist what I said into something else. Dont like it? Pound sand.

I have never said that the main reason I support crossbows is to help solve wounding issues, it is just one of the reasons.

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Oh you're absolutely right. The nature of today's hunter has evolved into something that I identify less and less with. I will say that a brave effort has been put forth by NYB to forestall the crazy headlong rush to diminish the sport and the season, but the Madison Avenue marketeers have learned how to appeal to the new breed of hunter and have successfully molded and twisted the activity to push the evolution into an out of control revolution.

However, I have never been one to simply surrender quietly or in effect encouraging these changes through silence. So whenever a topic like this comes on the forum, I make sure that I always have my say. I am not sure I would characterize it as foot stomping, kicking and screaming, but I definitely will not be silenced and will continue to voice my opposition to what hunting (especially bowhunting) is morphing into.

Perfectly said. 

11 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I dont want to dictate anything, Im not the rules maker, but I can say that MY comments only apply to what I am talking about. If YOU twist them to try and apply them to something else, then that is YOUR deal. I will correct anyone that tries to twist what I said into something else. Dont like it? Pound sand.

I have never said that the main reason I support crossbows is to help solve wounding issues, it is just one of the reasons.

I'm not twisting anything. I am simply educating you that your comments have a lot farther reach than you apparently understand.

Edited by Doc

On 10/3/2017 at 1:44 PM, Buck_shooter said:

There are exceptions to everything but I see most of this as nothing more than entitlement. Kind of like "how can I get the benefits of archery season with the least amount of dedication and work?" I think archery season is something that should be worked for and earned, not just given to everyone who thinks they should be involved. If it's truly not that different from modern archery, why not just shoot a vertical bow? And before I get the arguments about being physically unable, I said there are exceptions and I do believe everyone should have the "opportunity" to enjoy all seasons. But able bodied individuals who chose not to put forth the effort for whatever reason should not be entitled to be involved. 

Not going to read 9 pages - just jumped in pg 5.

When I see a post like this, I have 1 comment and 1 question I always ask (below). Seldom do they get replied to.

Comment: There is only 1 real reason an "able bodied" individual chooses a compound instead of a recurve/longbow - that is they want something easier. That is fine with me until they insist that their easier should be the cutoff for all.

Question: What recurve/longbow do you hunt with?

• Like 2

I will add that the nature of today's hunter is no different than the 1st one who embraced using a compound to get into the bow season rather than do the work needed to be hunting proficient with traditional equipment. Both seek/sought an easier method. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm not twisting anything. I am simply educating you that your comments have a lot farther reach than you apparently understand.

You are twisting things Doc. My comments are about archery equipment in archery season. If you want to change a few words and twist it into a possible argument for injecting guns into archery season or getting rid of archery season all together, then thats on you. Its no different than people saying that Trump wants to get rid of all immigrants when he says he wants illegal immigrants deported. Its nothing but fear mongering IMO. I could care less if you agree or disagree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I can be a bit of a gear junky. But i would argue 90% of my modern gear is just designed to keep me warm, comfortable and hunting longer. Not to attract and get bigger deer. Heck I started hunting just 15 years ago. handmedown gear and man did i get cold quick. I've never bought ozonics or spent substantial time and effort on food plotting and game cams. the fanciest i may have got is with lighted nocks. And really that's just a recovery aid.

Just because I'm head to toe in scentlok or UA doesn't mean i'm not out in the woods for the therapy that comes with it all. To witness the sunrise that melts away the dew as the birds wake up. To watch the steam come out of an old gnarly bucks nostrils. The tv show hunter represents less than 10% of hunters in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebel Darling said:

Splitting the difference?

Democratic Assemblyman (majority) Stirpe, Jr. just yesterday introduced AB 8721 - Relates to allowing for the hunting with crossbows by certain people during a special longbow hunting season.

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2017/A8721

Something like this I have absolutely no problem with, this is a long overdue. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

"FOURTEEN YEARS
OF AGE OR OLDER AND PHYSICALLY & MENTALLY DISABLED TO A  CERTAIN  DEGREE"

I don't see in there where they describe "disabled to a certain degree"

I think if we could get the state to put in the word "mentally" most of us here would qualify.  LOL

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

"FOURTEEN YEARS
OF AGE OR OLDER AND PHYSICALLY DISABLED TO A  CERTAIN  DEGREE"

I don't see in there where they describe "disabled to a certain degree"

Enough to where a doctor would need to sign off on it. No different than someone being able to use a firing device that holds the bow back for them.

I realize I came into this thread and made a few posts and then got overwhelmed by its growth and haven't returned. So in light of that, feel free to ignore this post, but here is one of my concerns about full inclusion. Vertical bow tech has almost topped out, but it hasn't for xbows.

This xbow (Ravin) is currently illegal for hunting in NY due to its draw weight and limb width, but I picked one up at field and stream and let me tell you it made all the others there look like antique garbage. This thing is very fast, streamlined. it's basically a slow gun. Shooting this is nothing like "archery", anymore than shooting a competition 1000 yard gun is like shooting a kentucky longrifle. Yeah they are both guns, and this is "archery" like a recurve, but let's get real.

This isn't legal in NY (too thin and draw weight over 200 lbs). Will it be? What about when somebody else gets an NY legal Crossbow to shoot at 480 fps? Are people okay with this tech shrinking the gap between harvesting with an actual firearm?

BTW I mean it if you are in field & stream pick one of these up. They are gorgeous.

ravin.jpg.fee6ea83b81f3551d93cdd0ea4f3df56.jpg

I realize I came into this thread and made a few posts and then got overwhelmed by its growth and haven't returned. So in light of that, feel free to ignore this post, but here is one of my concerns about full inclusion. Vertical bow tech has almost topped out, but it hasn't for xbows.
This xbow (Ravin) is currently illegal for hunting in NY due to its draw weight and limb width, but I picked one up at field and stream and let me tell you it made all the others there look like antique garbage. This thing is very fast, streamlined. it's basically a slow gun. Shooting this is nothing like "archery", anymore than shooting a competition 1000 yard gun is like shooting a kentucky longrifle. Yeah they are both guns, and this is "archery" like a recurve, but let's get real.
This isn't legal in NY (too thin and draw weight over 200 lbs). Will it be? What about when somebody else gets an NY legal Crossbow to shoot at 480 fps? Are people okay with this tech shrinking the gap between harvesting with an actual firearm?
BTW I mean it if you are in field & stream pick one of these up. They are gorgeous.

yes I love it. the closer it is to using a gun the better! makes a rifle hunter instantly proficient with the weapon and we all know they didn't want to use a bow to begin with because otherwise they would already participated within the archery season with archery equipment.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Looks expensive

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Core said:

Its still not a gun. Not even close.

• Like 1

For hunting purposes or not, that thing is gorgeous - I want one!

The guy there said he has sold some to people who are using it for "target practice". I don't think he believed it, either. They really are fantastic to hold.

The scope hash marks are crazy close too. Nice scope as well. Even has txt on the bottom reminding you to keep fingers away from the string.