What are deer eating, where? Stomach contents or what youy see

SonofGriz

14 hours ago, SonofGriz said:

Oct 6 evening hunt in 8A. 11 .5 and 1.5yo deer eating hickory nuts

Are you sure? I have been wondering whether they eat hickory nuts or not and have never been able to find any evidence or even any authors of books or magazine articles that claimed that they do. I have to say that I harvest quite a few hickory nuts each year, and I have to use a hammer or a vise to crack the damn things and then trying to extract the nut-meats from the cracked shells gets to be the next problem. It takes a hell of a force! so I am very curious to see credible evidence. Anybody else that has seen where deer were actually feeding on hickory nuts?

On 10/7/2017 at 8:38 AM, Doc said:

Are you sure? I have been wondering whether they eat hickory nuts or not and have never been able to find any evidence or even any authors of books or magazine articles that claimed that they do. I have to say that I harvest quite a few hickory nuts each year, and I have to use a hammer or a vise to crack the damn things and then trying to extract the nut-meats from the cracked shells gets to be the next problem. It takes a hell of a force! so I am very curious to see credible evidence. Anybody else that has seen where deer were actually feeding on hickory nuts?

Yea 100%, after I climbed down in went and double checked. 

It's not that bad, I've done it a few times. Better to get it out first and step on it once it's a little separated from the pile.

Gross...I always try and avoid punching it whenever I can. Even the deer burps when you're pulling it out are super gross

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yeah it isn't the best smelling fragrance I will give you that. When I first started hunting my dad had me gut my first deer after seeing him do a lot of his well I started at the stomach and he didn't stop me. I got a face full of gut gas as soon as my knife punctured the cavity. That was the last time I ever started on the belly. I can still hear my dad laughing and me dry heaving. It smelled like the deer $h!t on my face.

Edited by chas0218