Looking for advice. Mid size v full size truck??

regulat0r

Hi all. Looking for advice/opinions. I currently have a 4 door Toyota Tacoma and absolutely love it. I’m looking at purchasing a new truck in the next 1-2 yrs. I’m thinking about upgrading in size to a f150. Of course the big question is...do I need a full size truck? And that’s where  Im not sure. When I bought the taco, I was single. Now, I’m married with 2 kids and a dog. I do “ handyman” work on my house and frequently carry plywood, Sheetrock, lumber etc in my truck. I also hunt, fish (tow a boat several times a year) kayak, bike etc. my taco has been ok w size but it always seems a little tight with people or stuff. Can I get by with another midsize? I guess I can, but the full size would be better. The price difference for the trucks I’m looking at would be 1-2k higher but I feel like that increase would be worth it with the extra space. I’m not really concerned about resale value by I keep my trucks until the wheels fall off. Has anyone been in a similar spot w trucks? Please share your thoughts, advice, and opinions. Thanks!

If the price difference doesnt really throw you I would go fullsize. Gas mileage is typically not too much better on a midsize pickup and you might as well go with the "bigger and better" option. If you actually PREFER a smaller truck then go for it. I personally (for whatever reason) like the look of the king cab, short box colorados. They don't particularly look "small" at first glance and they seem like theyre better suited for going off road and getting into thicker wooded areas than their larger counterparts.

I've had Chevy 1500 Siverado's and F150 Crew Cabs but now have a 2013 Nissan Frontier SL crew Cab long box. Honestly it's my favorite truck of the bunch.  It does what I need as far picking up plywood, long boards, etc fine. Unlike the OP, I don't have children anymore and I do not tow and really don't need the full size.

The OP on the other hand needs the full size truck. Get the Crew Cab in whichever brand you like.  As stated, the gas mileage isn't that much worse and with 2 kids and a dog + the ball and chain (just kidding) you will be much happier.

Look into the mileage with the 2018 f-150s. Ford is installing 10 speed transmissions and with the tweaking that they did with eco boost 6’s mileage and horse power is up. I am waiting for the wife’s Camry  to be paid off and my 07 f-150 will be traded In on a new one . Oh and the new f-150’ s will tow like 12000 pounds too. 

Edited by rob-c

Sounds like you answered your own question.  

If your running out of room, or close to it frequently, you could definitely use a bigger rig. 

But, be aware, the more room you have, the more toys.. er.. equipment your going to buy to fill it... Lol

I went through the same process 2 years ago. I am a Toyota guy. I could have by with a Tacoma, but comparing a Tundra with a similar equipped Tacoma, the Tundra was only $1800 more. I get about 2mpg less than a friend who has the V6 Tacoma-and I have the big V8. For me, the extra room and capacity was worth the extra up front and the few extra gallons of gas.

Will

Went from a 2009 Silverado to a 2016 Tacoma crew cab TRD Sport. I never really needed a full size truck, don't pull a trailer or haul a lot of stuff around. The Tacoma fits my lifestyle much better. I get 23-24 mpg

on the thruway even doing 70 mph. The best I could get with the 4 speed Silverado was 17 mpg. Only issue I have is the dang price......you can buy a full size for what they are getting for a new Tacoma!!!

I was looking at nissan (frontier i think it is?) and colorados a few years back. Convinced i didn't need  a full size and that the midsize would be easier to drive and more fuel efficient. Well with 3 kids and a dog I can tell you that i've packed every inch of that bed and not just going camping, but hauling stuff even if it's a few times a year. I've never once regretted going fullsize doublecab. The fuel efficiency is not as great as some think either.

just my .02.

Family = Fullsize if it's gonna get that kind of use.  I've got 2 kids still in seats and 2 large dogs.

8 cylinders if you are loading it down and towing with it.

I got a 2016 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi quad cab, decent fuel economy and a very smooth ride with power to spare.  

Edited by OtiscoPaul

1 hour ago, OtiscoPaul said:

Family = Fullsize if it's gonna get that kind of use.  I've got 2 kids still in seats and 2 large dogs.

8 cylinders if you are loading it down and towing with it.

I got a 2016 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi quad cab, decent fuel economy and a very smooth ride with power to spare.  

my 16 silverado had cylinder deactivation. 4 cylinders when cruising on the highway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

my 16 silverado had cylinder deactivation. 4 cylinders when cruising on the highway.

My Tahoe had that too.  Still only got 14mpg average, which isn't much better than my ford without the deactivation and a bigger engine (12.3mpg).

Edited by moog5050

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

My Tahoe had that too.  Still only got 14mpg average, which isn't much better than my ford without the deactivation and a bigger engine (12.3mpg).

it makes me feel good when the little green light goes on. let me have it!

haha, but i do average around 20. not bad i dont think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I heard Ford coming back out with Ranger as mid size?

There's barely enough room to start making children in those little truckettes...let alone hauling around fully formed ones and all their crap.

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 1

I've found with new trucks the incentives on full sizes are insane compared to the mid size trucks and the price ends up being almost a wash. If you're only talking about $2-3k difference it just doesn't make sense to me to buy a mid size. I have a 2015 crew cab Silveraydo. I really like. However, I put some all terrain tires on it and my gas mileage dropped from 27/18-20mpg to 18/16mpg. Mine is a V6 too. The 10 speeds on the new Fords are interesting. We use my truck as a family vehicle (3 kinds all in seats and a 100lb Pitweiler.) and I think it actually works better than an SUV for a family car. I put an Xtang Trifecta tonneau cover on it and I can store anything in the bed without having to worry about rain.

Edited by pitweiler
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pitweiler said:

I've found with new trucks the incentives on full sizes are insane compared to the mid size trucks and the price ends up being almost a wash. If you're only talking about $2-3k difference it just doesn't make sense to me to buy a mid size. I have a 2015 crew cab Silveraydo. I really like. However, I put some all terrain tires on it and my gas mileage dropped from 27/18-20mpg to 18/16mpg. Mine is a V6 too. The 10 speeds on the new Fords are interesting. We use my truck as a family vehicle (3 kinds all in seats and a 100lb Pitweiler.) and I think it actually works better than an SUV for a family car. I put an Xtang Trifecta tonneau cover on it and I can store anything in the bed without having to worry about rain.

Believe it or not ford and gm teamed up to design and build the new 10 and 9 speed transmissions. I believe in the 2018 gm line up the trucks and vett will be getting 10 speeds. And cars for ford and gm will be getting the 9. 

5 hours ago, rob-c said:

Believe it or not ford and gm teamed up to design and build the new 10 and 9 speed transmissions. I believe in the 2018 gm line up the trucks and vett will be getting 10 speeds. And cars for ford and gm will be getting the 9. 

I just cringe at the thought ,all that up and down shifting to find the optimum gear . Just give us a damn manual 6 speed option.