What would you do?

AaronBlaine

Hey guys so i was out hunting today with my bow in the southern zone at a local state park.  I decided to do a bit of spot and stalk on foot / scouting trip on some old territory at a place i used to hunt a lot.  Not a ton of sign but definitely some decent spots to hang a tree stand in as the season heats up. So i was on my way back down the mountain heading out towards the car still a half mile or so from the parking lot.  I was heading down hill when i heard a branch break 30 yards off to my right.  I looked over and low and behold the most beautiful black bear i have ever seen!  I froze in my tracks and slowly started to creep towards him closing the distance. I easily could have hit him however there were some obstructions between us like some minor brush and some rocks. I had a clear back drop for the shot as he was along side a rock ledge that was going up hill. As i closed the distance he saw me and turned and dove into what looked like a hole in the middle of nowhere! I could not believe my eyes he just vanished out of thin air! So i am guessing he dove into his den. I stood there with my bow just as i was getting ready to draw with my jaw on the floor and then decided to leave.  Something felt unethical about hunting a bear hiding in its den. I know that you are not allowed to shoot a bear IN its den but it just felt wrong.  I would like to bag this guy he was a nice sized bear for early season being as big as he was and i was wondering what some of the more experienced bear hunters think i should do? Set up a tree stand near by? If so how far would you consider to be ethical and when do bear usually come in and out of their den? Either way it was an amazing experience to see such a magnificent animal in the woods. I always heard there were bear in the park but once you see one in person its a completely different story.  So any input thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again guys and good luck out there!

I don't see any ethical issues with setting up a stand or ambush site to get the bear as it is moving to or from its den area.  I'm careful to apply too many more ethical rules over what the regulations state when hunting black bear.  It's tough hunting here in NY: we can't bait; we can't use hounds; we don't have the same opportunities for spot and stalk as what hunters have out west.  You have to be willing to take whatever opportunities mother nature hands to you.

Edited by Padre86
  • Like 1

If you want the bear, it's OK to hunt the area where you saw it.  Just don't shoot it IN the den.  I agree you want to be sure it doesn't have cubs, because they would still be small this time of the year.

Bear meat is very tasty, if you get one that has been eating food in the forest and not frequenting a garbage dump.  It also requires a fast cool down when you shoot the bear to avoid gaminess.  This is very important during bow season when it's warm.  It often requires skinning the entire bear as soon as it's shot and still cooling the meat with some ice as soon as possible to keep it tasty.  You must remove all of the fat prior to cooking it too, as the fat tastes bad.

Dragging a big bear requires help and having a rug made will cost you $1000 plus depending on the options you choose for it.

Good Luck.

• Like 2

Yea I guess it's  possible that the cubs were in the den.  I hung around for an hour or so but nothing stuck it's nose out.  I wasn't getting too close to it either figure 25 yards tops.  I have heard that the rangers will help you drag a bear out if you get one however cooling it down in these temps would be difficult.  I wouldn't mind a bear rug however it's really a lot to think about.  I could have easily flung an arrow at it hitting target however I really wanted a good shot and wasn't presented with one at the time.  It's crazy hunting deer and then all of the sudden being presented with an apex predator to take it's a totally different ball game.  What do you guys normally use as a backup after shooting a bear? I know it's illegal to have bear spray in ny and I haven't gotten my pistol permit yet.  Is taking this bear even something I should be attempting alone ? 

1 minute ago, AaronBlaine said:

Yea I guess it's  possible that the cubs were in the den.  I hung around for an hour or so but nothing stuck it's nose out.  I wasn't getting too close to it either figure 25 yards tops.  I have heard that the rangers will help you drag a bear out if you get one however cooling it down in these temps would be difficult.  I wouldn't mind a bear rug however it's really a lot to think about.  I could have easily flung an arrow at it hitting target however I really wanted a good shot and wasn't presented with one at the time.  It's crazy hunting deer and then all of the sudden being presented with an apex predator to take it's a totally different ball game.  What do you guys normally use as a backup after shooting a bear? I know it's illegal to have bear spray in ny and I haven't gotten my pistol permit yet.  Is taking this bear even something I should be attempting alone ? 

bear spray would be your only option as it's illegal to carry a handgun while bowhunting in NY...and the reality is they're more scared of you then you should be of them. I bet there's more instances of hunters being hurt by wounded deer then there are of bear.

• Like 1

I have many times been presented shots at some dang nice bears, over the last few years. But have not taken a shot at one yet.  I definitely don't want to kill one, only for a rug.  The few times I've eaten bear meat, I've found it only so so compared to venison. But I was not the one who dressed and processed the bear. I've heard from many that bear meat is very good. So, IDK, maybe some day I will decide to shoot one.

Yea I hear you I have never eaten bear and this was the first time presented with a shot on one and I let it pass.  It really is a rather large undertaking to harvest one properly.  I would def be interested in having it butchered and I would love to hand out meat to all my friends. Any time I harvest an animal I have a huge first and invite all my friends.  There is an increadible amount of joy in watching someone I care about enjoy the meat from my bounty!

• Like 3