GPS

hawkenwoodsman

I use a garmin and a lowrance I like the garmin Colorado 400c a little more then the lowrance ihuntc it's just a little easier to use but they both come with me and extra batteries. the garmin etraks are pretty simple mark your car log your route to stand hit back track and follow.

the more you use one the easier it gets. I've left backpacks treestands and deer and never had any problem finding them. a few things to keep in mind is they eat batteries, if you drive more then a 100 miles they need to be recalibrated, practice in woods you know until you have it down, and bring a map and compass.

I use them often and they are great.  I mark way point for specific locations and get my bearing based on them.  I never use bread crumbs or tracking unless I am in a boat.   I will not go into any deep woods without one  for the simple fact that sometimes I want to get back to an exact location.   Simply put with one I am never lost, I might still get turned around and come out in the wrong spot but that's OK as long as I get out!  

Might want to change the batteries..Just in case.  Similar to carry a empty gun.

I change batteries every year, it's there if I need it. Just haven't needed it. Wife bought it for me a while ago for Xmas because her brother and father said I needed one. I used it more for ice fishing than hunting. I'm old fashion I use my map and compass for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Garmin Oregon series and I love it. I use it before, during and after season and it's been a great tool to have. When scouting I often travel quite a ways off any road or trail and it's always gotten me back to where I needed to be. In hilly terrain it's nice to see the topography because you can plan your route accordingly and go around steep terrain if possible rather than straight over. I also do a lot of still hunting so I use the "tracks" feature a lot to overlay my route onto a topo map so I can see what area I've covered while scouting or hunting.

I'd recommend getting online and viewing what features each unit has to offer and making a list of the features you want a GPS to have. Then find a few that meet that criteria and check out all the reviews you can on them. If you do settle on a Garmin, I can almost guarantee that Cabela's will run a sale on it at some point during the year. I'm pretty sure every time I've been in the store or online there is at least one Garmin that is like half of MSRP.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I have the very basic Garmin and have it "just in case", but utilize my compass normally in the Adirondacks. I have on my wool coat one of the bubble compasses for keeping me pointed in general directions I wish to travel and in my pack a compass for actual navigation.

I have used the PS to mark spots while ice fishing for generalized areas I want to return to.

GPS have their limitations such as battery life, signal reception due to terrain and exposure to weather. For these reasons I relay on the good old compass....

• Like 1